Domestic to International flight connection

riaanbre

Hi

We live in Cape Town and are moving to Sydney. IOM quoted us on flights from CPT to JNB and then from JNB to SYD. What worries me is that the time between landing and takeoff in Johannesburg is very short, two and a half hours, if I remember correctly.

Those that travel more frequently than we do - is this enough time or should I ask for earlier domestic flights?

--

Riaan

Riaan that should be enough time if you through-check your luggage from Cape Town straight through to Sydney.

But if it feels too tight for you then ask IOM to give you an earlier domestic flight. It will be a stressful day for you and your family and the last thing you will need/want is running to catch your international flight!

• Like 1

It's enough time. Make sure if you will actually be changing aircraft. We check in at CT International and then stay on the aircraft for the connecting flight - it long and boring :yawn:

Sorry I also have a question here, with IOM you are allocated 40kgs per person.....will this allowance also apply for domestic flight say from ELS to JHB and then onto Perth? You see we are stopping off in JHB for 2 weeks to catch up with family before final flights out to Perth so can really check everything through from ELS.

2 and half hours is sufficient, baggage is through checked and all onward boarding passes are issued. All you have to do is get off the plane as straight to international passport control.

• Like 1

Hi Riaan,

2 Weeks back we had a terible experiance with SAA/ACSA.

My son went on a rugby tour to Argentina and he and two other boys were supposed to join up with the tour group who left 2 days earlier (matric farewell stuff). They were at the airport on the Sunday at 7am. The flight was 9:50am. They eventually got to the counter for check inn at 7:49. By the time 2 of the boys got to the boarding gate it was 9:37 and the gate was closed and nobody to help. They missed the flight!!!!

The various check points were understaffed, queues were extremely long, people started fighting umong each other as some tried jumping the queues and the staff even told the just to be patient.

In short, it was a nightmare and cost me another R1700 to get the next flight which was on the Wednesday only. He missed 2/3 of the tour and only played 1/5 games?

I have lodged a complaint although we all know what the outcome will be. "Sorry you were late"? The majority of the staff couldn't care a sh........

So my advise, get an earlier flight, do not chance it.

We have to realize that SA is going downhill and the thing is if we remain we are certainly going to crash with it and its nearer than we think!

In general, We either shape in or ship out? We have to make our choices.

Sorry, my anger is not at you but be carefull.

Thanks for your responses. My wife will be doing it on her own with our two young girls. I think I'll ask for a longer gap between the two bookings. :)

Sorry I also have a question here, with IOM you are allocated 40kgs per person.....will this allowance also apply for domestic flight say from ELS to JHB and then onto Perth? You see we are stopping off in JHB for 2 weeks to catch up with family before final flights out to Perth so can really check everything through from ELS.

Hi - if the ticket is issued by IOM from ELS to PERTH then the 40kg limit will apply to the entire journey..

• Like 1

Hi - if the ticket is issued by IOM from ELS to PERTH then the 40kg limit will apply to the entire journey..

Just be careful about the new rules re: number of cases. The 40kgs can only be in 2 cases, not 3. Am I correct???

• Like 1

IOM states that it can be 2x 23KG bags per adult or child who are paying for a seat. Infants without their own seats get 10KGs. (this is with SAA).

Tagging a question onto my post - is it possible to and is there any benefit to pay for these tickets via credit card?

Edited by riaanbre

IOM states that it can be 2x 23KG bags per adult or child who are paying for a seat. Infants without their own seats get 10KGs. (this is with SAA).

Tagging a question onto my post - is it possible to and is there any benefit to pay for these tickets via credit card?

Thanks Riaan

Maybe it's just me, but isn't 2 x 23 equal to 46 and not 40? I think that's why this luggage thing is still on my mind (I've asked about luggage around three times now, lol). But seriously. How can it be? Am I missing something?

As for booking with a credit card, you should be able to make use of the medical travel insurance provided free with the booking. We did this and I think it was for 3 months. But I'd try & get it in writing somewhere!

The downside is that places like Flight Centre (here in Aus, not sure about there) charge a 1,5% surcharge to book with a card :(

the max weight PER bag is 23kg, the TOTAL max weight is 40kg.

So bags weighing 21 and 19 is okay, bags wieghing 21kg and 21kg not okay, bags weighing 24kg and 15kg not okay.

Yeah that is one thing you have to get used to in Aus is the credit card surcharge on certain purchases... quite frankly I think it is wrong but I suppose coming from RSA there were no surcharges

Hi riaanbre

I have to agree with Enrica, once you check in in CT you will be checked through until Sydney. Two hours seems sufficient but I understand your concerns if wife is traveling alone with kids. Also rember that the aus flights have an additional security check point at the gate.

G can't wait, I am sorry that your son missed his flight. It is frustrating but I am afraid that rule is enforced not only in South Africa but at airports around the world. It is more of an aviation rule rather than country specific. That rule is also enforced here in Aus.

the max weight PER bag is 23kg, the TOTAL max weight is 40kg.

So bags weighing 21 and 19 is okay, bags wieghing 21kg and 21kg not okay, bags weighing 24kg and 15kg not okay.

Ahhhh ***lightbulb moment*** thank you!