Starting our plans

AlBrough

Hi All,

We are newly weds form Pietermaritzburg looking to hop over to OZ.

Does anyone have information/experience living in Canberra? From what I can see it is very much like Pmb.

Al

I had it more like the Pretoria of SA. Government Capital, houses the High Court. Kind of Capital of Jurisdiction like.

Many folks on the forum from Canberra who only have good things to say. Also depends on your field of work when

deciding where will be best for you.

Welcome and Good luck!

I have no idea whether Canberra is like Pmb or not - I HAVE lived in Canberra and like it.

What I have to say may be discouraging, but see what other people say as well. This is my take on Canberra.

Canberra can be a problem if you're "just off the boat".

It's a government town, full stop. Most IT, accounting, secretarial people work for the government, except for a few, who will jump on now and say "Rubbish, I work in Canberra for ...... XYZ Corporation"

My point is that even working for a private company here, you may well be contracting for the Aus gov't - meaning you have to be a citizen. It's even more fun if you're working for certain gov't departments where you need a clearance as well.

So if you're a non-citizen and a diesel mechanic, you may find work. If you're a non-citizen into IT and complicated networks, you may not.

• Like 1

Many thanks for the info so far,

The visa my wife is most probably going to going to get a visa for highschool teaching, which Canberra sponors and is the way we are trying to emigrate. I have a friend who has moved to Canberra in the IT field who seems to be doing well for himself. I am in a hybrid field of IT, marketing and human resource management.

As far as climate, from what I have read it is PMB similar. My sister lives in PTA and she finds the weather simalar to PMB

Many thanks

Al

Edited by Brough

Mr Brough, You know me. I am in Canberra, I will PM you my details and I will try answer all your questions

Wade

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum and good luck with the rest of your journey.

Many thanks All,

We have started our paper work with an agent today. I hope everything goes off without a hitch.

Has anyone had experience with state sponsored visa's?

Many thanks again to all who help :)

Al

Welcome to the maddness! (only joking)..I posted on another topic but want to encourage you to go onto www.liveincanberra.com.au - heaps of great info and you can request an info pack which I found incredibly useful. I have a State sponsorship to Canberra and should be there early next year. If you have any questions about the process do not hesitate to PM me or post here. The forumites are really well versed in the processes and SOOOO helpful :) Luv them all!