Capetonians in Perth?

ellewill

Hi there everyone

I have been lurking on here for a while and have to admit your site has had so much invaluable information - thank you!! Let me introduce myself and my family. My husband and I are both from Cape Town, both went to school in Paarl. He went to UCT and I went to UPE (my parents moved to PE for a few years, so I joined them while studying). We are a bit of an "odd bunch" as we've been out of SA for 12 years now, mostly living as ex-pats. We started on the "two year plan" and it just became longer and longer as we travelled more and lived in further interesting places and our two gorgeous girls happened along the way . Currently we are in Colombo, Sri Lanka - wonderful place, but the humidity is killing me! My hubby's in the construction industry and the current project will be finishing in a few months, when we'll most likely be heading to Aus.

We love the expat thing, but are on SA passports and not oblivious to what's happening in SA. The AUS move (we got our PR last year, validated it last Dec) for us is completely to give our kids a better future and a backdoor if things go more pear shaped in SA.. they/we can always go back if things are turning we reckon (always holding out that ray of hope for our beloved RSA) We also realise that we've never lived as a family in a 'civilised' country.. chances are we like it and actually put down some roots - wow?! My family is still in Cape Town and don't see them ever leaving, so I think to consider the move as permanent is really hard for me. Hubby's one brother is ex-patting in Abu Dhabi, other has been in Auckland for years and Mom is in Cape Town waiting to move to Auckland, so he's not too fussed about SA anymore.

We've just spend a week in Perth. This is most likely going to be our city as there's lots of work in construction/mining/oil/gas and as a commercial/contracts manager hubby has lots of prospects. So, my thoughts on Perth... As in Sydney last year it was wonderful to have clean parks and beaches, working CLEAN public transport and everything that goes along a First World Country. Besides the fact that we heard a lot of Afrikaans and SA english (but we had that in Sydney last year too) I was wondering how many Capetonians are in Perth? Not that this would have a major impact on our move, but was wondering if the statement that most Capetonians go to Sydney/Melbourne and most Durbanites go to Brisbane is true? I think it's safe to say the Northern boys go anywhere ;)

I think once you've lived in Cape Town there are very few places in the world that can live up to that amazing beauty and that mix of people. I was told Sydney would blow us away, but to be honest (and don't take this the wrong way - it was stunning and funky people etc) my socks were still on! Perth was the same.. great beaches and the fact that you can be 40 mins out of the city and live close to the beach in an 'affordable' brand new house (ok, maybe 10mins from the beach for some of us) is GREAT. But again, I find there's something missing.. that "X factor"

I'm pretty sure our girls are going to LOVE it - especially the beach, they are beach bums. Hubby's going to love working and living in 'civilization' ... I'm just sitting on the fence at the moment... mostly wondering if we should look at any other cities? ARRRGGHHH!!!

We do know a few people in Perth (not close friends, but met up with them last week and was lovely to catch up) both couples (one from Pretoria one from PE) are loving Perth, so I'm pretty sure once we're settled it will be fine and my jitters will go away.. I hope!!

So, that's me for now. Sorry I've rambled on a bit. I suppose writing it all down sort of makes it more real.. yikes!

Kind regards,

Elle

• Like 1

Hey Elle - I don't know how many Capetonians there are, but we are from Constantia and West Beach (Blouberg). We have friends here from Camps Bay, Sedgefield and Citrusdal. I am sure there are others... ;-)

not many capetonians in perth, in fact not many in australia. every second spit african i meet is from pretoria.

yes that extra thing about cape town is missing, but you get a lot in return.

my favourite is sydney which to me is the most like cape town

e

• Like 1

Thanks Emile and Gizmo,

Nice to hear we wont be the only Capetonians in Perth! Actually, to share my lurking, I have been looking at Edgewater since you recommended the suburb here Gizmo. It looks lovely, but the prices are now quite a bit over $500 000, for anything that looks "OK" I've spotted a few "fixer-uppers", but a bit too pricey for us if you're buying at $500' and then have to spend a few to fix... Pity, cause we were quite keen on that idea. We went to look at the ever popular and much mentioned Butler last week and have to admit there are lovely (new and not too pricey) houses. Not sure about the primary schools up there, our Pretoria friends recommended private schools.. So I'm a bit worried about that too. Our girls are 4 and 6, so still little, but looking at the amount of homework our 6 year old gets it's probably good to try get a good school .. Any recommendations?

Emile, I have read one of your previous posts and you seem like a typical Capetonian - who should be in Sydney! ;) I think I will be like you once we are in Perth!!

Cheers,

Elle

Thanks Emile and Gizmo,

Nice to hear we wont be the only Capetonians in Perth! Actually, to share my lurking, I have been looking at Edgewater since you recommended the suburb here Gizmo. It looks lovely, but the prices are now quite a bit over $500 000, for anything that looks "OK" I've spotted a few "fixer-uppers", but a bit too pricey for us if you're buying at $500' and then have to spend a few to fix... Pity, cause we were quite keen on that idea. We went to look at the ever popular and much mentioned Butler last week and have to admit there are lovely (new and not too pricey) houses. Not sure about the primary schools up there, our Pretoria friends recommended private schools.. So I'm a bit worried about that too. Our girls are 4 and 6, so still little, but looking at the amount of homework our 6 year old gets it's probably good to try get a good school .. Any recommendations?

Emile, I have read one of your previous posts and you seem like a typical Capetonian - who should be in Sydney! ;) I think I will be like you once we are in Perth!!

Cheers,

Elle

sydney pulls on your heartstrings like cape town pulls on your heartstrings - same look, same smell, same atmosphere - only capetonians will understand especially those from the atlantic seaboard

• Like 1

i have been told though that perth is good for bringing up children - lets hope they are right

you will do well listening to gizmo as she has the attention to detail I am lacking

Edited by Emille

Hi, we are living in Cape Town for 3 more weeks then we're off to Western Australia.

I think it depends on your interests and work opportunities.

I'm originally from Pretoria, but my husband is from the West Coast, born and bred.

So in the end he decided on a town where he can windsurf (just like the good ole days in Langebaan and Saldanha) and where our boys can enjoy a similar seaside life he grew up with.

- So I had to find a job there, I was fortunate to get a good sponsor.

There's nothing that can compete with Table Mountain, Margaret River and their winelands pales in comparison to our Stellenbosch and Franschoek, but it looks to offer the good quality of life that we're after.

Hi Elle,

Also from Cape Town (Noordhoek)...been in Sydney for 2 years but moving to Perth in December. Feel the same way about CT not much can top it as far as natural beauty, but have learnt to appreciate Oz for all the other positives it has. My hubbie is also in the building industry, he is loving Perth (he is living there already), says its the closest feeling to being home. Looking forward to exploring our new home. All the best with your move.

Elle,

I've been in perth for almost 6 years now - originally from Durbanville, Cape Town. Perth is great but feels a bit like lego land to me, a very sterile atmosphere. If I were to make a move within Australia, it would have to be Melbourne for me. Just love the more cultural/heritage feel it has to it!

Kinross Primary School has a very good reputation and is an affordable area to buy property in. Currambine, Joondalup are worth a look as well!

I'm the reverse at the moment - Sydneysider living in Cape Town. I also find them really similar. Don't think anything can top the mountain, but I LOVE Sydney ;)

I lived in Cape Town for a total of 4 years but originally from Port Elizabeth.

Honestly though Perth is better than both for me.

The natural beauty in Cape town is nice but the beaches in Perth are about 1.4 million times better than Cape Town. mostly because of water temp and clarity.

Austalia is beatiful but it does depends on what you classify as beautiful. I very much think it is an entirly different type of beauty.