Minimum Cash

leonl01

I just want to find out if there is also a minimum amount of cash that I need to take over to Aus as is the case with Canada? If so, where can I get more details on this?

I cannot recall a minimum cash, nobody asked us for anything related to money / bank during our application or on arrival.

The difficulty is most likely that you will probably need a lot of money to get through the first couple of months - greatly dependant on your position though. Keep in mind that almost everything is a lot more expensive than in SA (other than public transport!).

I don't think there is a min amount you have to take with in cash. I just know you can't take more than 10K AUD in cash otherwise you will be detained and questioned. They do this because of money laundering. I assume you are going on a PR visa? If so then you should just take possibly a couple hundred in cash to see you through the first few days until you can get to the banks to sort out your cards. I am also assuming that you have opened a bank account already over there and will have transferred your money to them? If not please give a bit more detail.

With some countries, to apply for certain visas they require you have a set amount banked to go over. I know moons ago that amount for Britain was 20K. I'm thinking that's what Leon is referring to?

Some states on a state sponsorship require you to have proof of assets but the take you at your word and you don't have to necessarily prove that you have the cash.

As for a 189 they just give you an invite based on the fact that you are of a skills set that Australia needs and is looking for and that you are employable as a result.