Australian Citizenship: Increase in South Africans

Tamara HDU

Hi there,

I saw a news item in the newspaper last week. I gave a breakdown of new Austrlain citizens.

South Africans are really moving here in large numbers and adopting their new land.

In the 5 years that I have been here in Adeliade the number of South Africans has increased by a massive amount...but not all seem to have discovered the scenic south!

My OH's manager is from Cape Town, the guy at the local Ford dealership was from Cape Town...and you hear the accent and see the Springbok shirts all the time!

Anyway, here's the figures from the Oz citizenship web site:

Tamara

In 2011-12, 84 183 people became Australian citizens by conferral from at least 180 different countries.

The following table shows the number of people who were conferred as Australian citizens at ceremonies in 2011-12, according to their former nationality/citizenship. Former citizenship Persons Per cent United Kingdom 16 401 19.5 India 10 076 12.0 People's Republic of China 6 876 8.2 Philippines 5 592 6.6 South Africa 4 206 5.0 New Zealand 3 458 4.1 Vietnam 1 929 2.3 Sri Lanka 1 671 2.0 Republic of South Korea 1 570 1.9 Malaysia 1 487 1.8 Other 30 917 36.7 Total 84 183 100.0

And of course the stats are skewed by people like my DH & kids who all came to Aus with their British Passports (although they are SAfricans) ;)

• 1 year later...

That is so true. There are many South Africans that arrive here from the UK. The true figure must be so much higher than the official stats.

• 8 months later...

Totally true.

My OH arrived in Cape town as a kid but always had a UK passport. When his SA passport expired he had his permanent residence permit transferred into his still valid UK passport.

When he was awarded his ctizenship and they called him up to be presented they recorded him as being from the UK and not from South Africa.

I have met so many South Africans who have moved here from the UK. I guess that the same will be applicable for them if they arrived on their UK passports that they may have through ancestral means.

• 6 months later...

I was fortunate to do some travelling this year.

I went to Tasmania a couple of months ago and was amazed by the number of South Africans that I encountered in Hobart.

Hobart reminded me of a larger version of Kalk Bay in Cape Town!

Throughout Tassie I encountered accents...Launceston, and even small dorpies in the middle of nowhere!

I went to Perth last month. Western Australia should be another province like WP! OMG...even the shopping centres had stalls selling biltong and droewors!

And back home in Adelaide the numbers continue to increase...just watch the cricket game at Adelaide oval.

Made me ponder on just how many people have left SA. It's sad really when you think about it but at least the life is here is good.

• Like 2

Haha,

You should be sad but rather celebrate that so many have managed to get into Aus!!

• Like 1

Haha,

You should be sad but rather celebrate that so many have managed to get into Aus!!

I know what you mean but it is sad that some of the world most skilled and qualified people are in a mass exodus from their homeland. We all know the reasons why and no-one who hasn't lived in South Africa would ever understand. I remember the exodus from Rhodesia as well. If it was an entirely voluntary thing that would be different but at least the move to Oz presents us with the opportunity...and our children with the opportunity...to live normal, safe and happy lives. I just think that it's a little sad and I can't help but contemplate about the reasons, experiences and causes of the exodus..that's all!

I am so thankful for the opportunity to live here.

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

It looks like the exodus has gathered speed.

Some political clowning and further economic troubles results in more people making applications to move.

I have been in contact with so many people who are moving in the next year.

This is the correspondence from the migration company that I used to process my application. They are struggling to cope with the numbers.

Due to the substantial increase in Migration requests over the last few months we are running at full capacity.

Our case officers endeavour to ensure all our clients get a positive result, however in order for us to achieve this, we are required to spend more time working on the processing of the paperwork. 

We humbly request your patience in our response times to telephone calls, replying to e-mails and the preparation time of all related documentation. You are a valued client and we will get back to you

We prefer correspondence to be received via email, as we keep all communications with our clients, on file, in the event that we need to refer back, and our standard response time is 3 working days and up to 10 working days for reviewing documentation. Please help us follow procedures.

Please note each Friday from 8a.m. to 10a.m. the case officers attend to the admin matters of the case files and can not be contacted  by telephone.

If you are moving during the peak period (Dec to March) please don't leave it too late to sort out somewhere to stay...I have visions of the endless queues around traffic departments for drivers licence changes and it's so common to leave things to the last minute! Everything will be booked and you will take a bigger hit to your pocket...as though the currency drop wasn't enough.

Load shedding does more to convince people to migrate than the bad economy,  crime and the politics :rolleyes:

I know load shedding won't tame the flame at steers,  but you can't eat Steers two nights a week. 

• Like 1

I still have so many friends in Cape Town...and family too.

We are going to be visiting for a few days later this year. It's going to be an interesting experience!