Breaking into mining & energy jobs - a reality check!

ottg

Read these two very informative articles - the why and how:

"........employers continually tell us the shortage is for skilled, experienced workers"..........

".....Unfortunately, it’s very difficult for people with no experience to break into mining or energy jobs"......

http://www.miningoil...ember_174403991

How it worked for some to first land that first job in the mines?

"....[they] spent 3 months calling everyone he knew that had some connection to the mines. ... called friends of friends of friends. ....because of his lack of experience there were a limited number of jobs he could get, so he identified those jobs and focused his efforts there..... estimates that he had at least 40 conversations with people before he got offered a job"

http://interviewiq.c...t-the-coal-face

• 1 month later...

Unfortunately it is true. I was lucky to be "at the right place, at the right time" to get into mining. I had to take a temp position without any benefits and prove myself before I was appointed permanently. What is sad is that a mine can grow so much by attracting more non-mining people. I found that sometimes mines tend to not explore new ideas and improve the way things are done just because they choose to ignore people from other industries. If they can just open the door a little and attract "fresh thinkers". It becomes such an enclosed, limited space within which to operate.

• 5 months later...

Unfortunately it is true. I was lucky to be "at the right place, at the right time" to get into mining. I had to take a temp position without any benefits and prove myself before I was appointed permanently. What is sad is that a mine can grow so much by attracting more non-mining people. I found that sometimes mines tend to not explore new ideas and improve the way things are done just because they choose to ignore people from other industries. If they can just open the door a little and attract "fresh thinkers". It becomes such an enclosed, limited space within which to operate.

HI PK007,

I'm very new to this forum and making my way through the threads. I am working as a scaffolder at the moment and am looking for ways to branch out into trying to get shut down work in the mines. I have my advanced scaff ticket.

I know, I have read the article link that was posted above and I have been trying for some time now. So I have learnt pretty much what James has been through except I am still trying to get in. I got a couple of contacts who I hope can eventually come through for me in some way.

Do you have any idea of what the demand is for scaffolders on mine sites, or would you have any positive hints or tips?

Thanks

I work for a large resource company, and the biggest problem they have when appointing people to work on the mines is the gfact that people that dont have the FIFO experience , suddendly cannot cope with the rooster 28 days on 10 days off etc . It costs these companies huge money in appointing these staff ie the average employment medical is around $500.00 , add induction sometimes x 3 or 4 different mining companies, depending on where you work, the right work safe gear...and then people leave after their first rotation because they cant cope with the hours , being way etc etc. It cost these companies big money , this is why they prefer experienced FIFO's.

Hi Enrica,

I realise all of that too. I have gathered that much from speaking to different people and reading various articles on the net.

I think in my case, I'm still looking for that foot in the door... This is something I have been pursuing for a while. I understand the conditions won't be 100% desirable and it is long times away from home.

Currently living in Melbourne I am still really contemplating the move to Perth so I can start getting some FIFO work. Understandably that would be cheaper than me then still flying back to Melbourne. The only thing that I'm weighing up is do I relocate my whole family in the hopes I can find something and I don't. Or do I just move over myself, get set up and get them over down the track. We are no strangers to being apart for periods of time and we have discussed this in length.

The only thing I don't want to do is have to waste more money unnecessarily like I have to this point where people were just out to make money off you or move somewhere only to not get work for a long period of time.

I am very eager and know you always have to start at the bottom before you can go up. But again, I know it's hopefully getting the right advise or pointers from people and following that through.

Have you got any recommendations you could give me yourself?