T-minus 48 hours! An update on the way to Perth

Donovan83

Well the day is almost here where I hop on a flight to that great Southern land. It's been a long time coming, I would say I probably started looking at moving to Australia in around 2007.

I don't really think this will be a very long winded post. Just to summarise what I've done in the last two months:

• Signed job offer in Perth
  • Resigned from job in Joburg
  • Cancelled lease on flat, moved back in with parents. My partner moved in with his parents and will be joining me once I have things set up that side and once his studies are finished (around mid-2013). He will be coming to Perth for Christmas though :)
  • Cancelled or suspended everything from Woolworths accounts to bank accounts and TV licences. What a mission!
  • Transferred my meagre savings down under (divided by almost 9! :( )
  • Held my farewells for my friends and then for my family.

I guess it's one of those things that you expect to feel different when it actually happens to you when you take this big step. You almost expect it to feel more real or to feel more emotion about it. Maybe I'm just a robot but my farewells so far have been far less emotional than I thought they would be. I feel a bit anxious and nervous for starting a new job and I worry about silly things like what I'll eat or where I will go watch a movie but the feeling does pass. All in all, everything has been easier than I thought it would be... I guess you just get to a point where you do what you need to do.

For those of you that are a bit behind me on this road, I'd like to just mention a few things that did take me off guard that I wish I had known before:

• It's okay to worry about and care about people around you and their emotions but don't forget about your own ones. It's okay to feel upset and if you do, let the feeling happen and let the tears flow if they need to. It usually passes quickly.
  • You will tend to get even more frustrated than usual with any incompetence (and there is A LOT OF IT) in the weeks before you leave. In the last week I've struggled to keep my cool with the bank and with Telkom (apparently it's almost impossible to have a working ADSL line in RSA and it's easier to open a bank account 10 000km away than it is to downgrade your RSA bank account to a cheaper option). The people in the mall parking lots, at the traffic lights, etc... well they all P you off much more than usual. Maybe it's just because I know I won't have to deal with them for much longer but they have been irritating me much more than before.
  • Remember very importantly that even though you are saying "farewell"... it is just that, "farewell". Although you'll be far away, there is still Skype and there is always the option that if you pine too much for your old life back in RSA then you can book a flight. It's not like you're trapped anywhere. That, and your family/friends could possibly even come visit you too.
  • I'm still battling with it but try not to get too caught up with other people's agendas. I had a friend who didn't make it to my farewell (for legitimate reasons) and then didn't really make an effort to see me or respond to me when I tried to make other plans afterwards. For some reason it was just too much effort to drive 7km over lunch hour to join me (and some others who missed the work farewell)... sorry for him, I'll see him on a visit back. Same for another friend - her whole attitude changed for some reason and she became very passive aggressive... oh well, I have my own issues to deal with and I won't get trapped into a discussion of "sorting something out" with someone who isn't supportive or at least neutral. Some people just think everyone's worlds revolve around them. I have a wide circle of people that I know so I guess two "problem children" isn't too bad.
  • Most importantly, this process is much, much easier than you think it will be. You might get cold shivers down your spine thinking about selling your house, you might get a lump in your throat when you think about your farewell, you might feel fear when you picture resigning from your job... but anticipating these things so far has been worse than having them actually happen. So chill out and enjoy the good parts of the journey as much as you can. So far this has been such a cool adventure, I feel like I've grown as a person and I haven't even left RSA yet! It's such a good feeling to leave that comfort zone and try something new. Something a little risky but hopefully with a great reward.

I guess that's my 2c (which turned out to be long winded anyway lol ). I fly out on Sunday night and start work the following Monday. In just a few months I've gone from living in my own flat with my partner, working at a big corporate and having my own car to having neither a car, home nor job. Soon I'll once again be working for a big corporate, with a bicycle (I kid you not) for transport renting a room from friends. VERY cool!

My partner has been super with all of this and I wanted to give him a special mention. I'm honoured to have him around and that he puts up with all my big plans and wild dreams. I'm going to miss him a lot while we're apart (we've budgeted to visit every few months and we'll have some form of contact every day) but the rewards are worth it for both of us. We've discussed this at length and we're okay that the cost of those rewards will be some time apart. No pain, no gain.

I'll still be very active on the forum so don't think this is a farewell message... looking forward to sharing lots about experiences from down under :)

• Like 10

Hey Donovan - wishing you a great flight across and success with settling in to your new life in Perth. I felt the same when I left - it did not feel as bad as I thought it would feel. Just take one day at a time and enjoy the entire journey. Before you know it you have been here for a few months reflecting on how fast time has gone and your dream is now a reality.

Good luck and can't wait to hear from you on this side!!

All the best with the new life in the 'lucky' country - let me know if you need any help here in perth

Edited by Emille
  • Like 1

Hi there Donovan...wishing you a safe flight, and happy landing! :) Its so cool to read these "just before we go" and "just after we landed" posts - to me they are the most exciting. I get butterflies just thinking of you boarding a plane....so happy for you. Enjoy every minute of it!

• Like 2

Good Luck Donovan - we will toast you at the get together on the 6th : ) Have a safe trip and all the best with the new job.

I am excited for you Donovan!!!

I think your stress levels are under control because you have done a lot of mental preparation, and if you have forgoten something, your partner will still be there to tie up any loose ends :)

Now you can really enjoy the ride! Good luck with the new job xxx

Edited by Bronwyn&Co

All the very best to you! Hope the weather is kinder to you than it has been to us this last week, but I am promised it is going to get warmer this week :ilikeit:

Happy landings and settling in.

• 2 weeks later...

Good luck with the move , I hope you have started finding your feet. Holler if we can help