Schooling in areas near Rocklea , Brisbane

fisherman

Hello everyone,

We are so pleased we can now start investigating this part of the immigration process. My hubby has a job in Rocklea, Brisbane and we are hoping to get there by May/June.My two daughters are 6(almost 7) and 2. Obviously the 6 year old will need to go straight into school. We have decided that the area we decide to reside in, is to be determined by schooling available. Is that a good "theory".

Please help me by giving me some info / links on good schooling relative to working in the Rocklea area. And what is a decent surrounding suburb.

Janie(Fishermans wife)

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Janie

I can't exactly tell you much about any specific area seeing as my kids and i only arrived in Brisbane on 03Apr. My hubby came out 2 weeks before us to "scope out the area" so to speak. I also went on the theory of stay close to where the kids go to school. This is especially important seeing as most schools have catchment areas. What i can tell you is that the area that we had looked at on the web, because of the schools we thought we'd like to put our kids in, didn't pan out that way. When hubby got here, it's very different when you experience it first hand. There are plenty schools available.

One of the things we'd heard before we left RSA was that the kids are unruly and undisciplined. Well, that hasn't been our experience so far. Okay, i'm only talking from the experience we had at the 2 schools we've enrolled our kids at, but discipline seems to be very much part of the school plan - and at the primary school we got to see tht they don't just talk the talk!! ;) We had our kids in a private school in RSA but have decided on public here in Oz - no fees and the classes are as small as the classes they had back in RSA, with pretty much the same (if not higher) standard of education.

One thing i can tell you about what i've noticed in the suburbs - you get all different types of houses, all in the same street. Some that look like little mansions, and next door can be a small little house that looks rather tired.... I found that quite amusing. :blink:

Hope this has helped you some!

Pam

• 1 month later...

Is anyone familiar with Indooroopilly High School? We're moving there in Setember .

My hubby got a job offer in Wacol, so I guess we'll try and find a place close to his work as well.

We have been looking to maybe settle in Forest Lake as we have a friend/ex colleague from SA staying there already.

As mentioned there are so many schools to choose from that I think we would be close to a school no matter where you end up staying.

My hubby will probably fly out at the end of Aug if the 457 visa is approved and scout the area b4 we arrive - we will only join him at the end of the school year. My kids [grade 4 & 8] are in an Afrikaans school in Durban and we thought that moving over to an English school for the last 3 months of the year is asking a bit too much from them.

At least if they start fresh next year it gives them a bit of time to settle in and get the language thing going as well.

Don't get me wrong, I wanted to be there yeasterday - the sooner the better. At least I can tie up all loose ends on this side of the world.

Edited by Hettie