Home Rental Agreements

Dedrei

Hi guys

We are currently staying in a rental property and signed for 12 months.

What happens if say we had to move out of the house, when we are moving interstate? How does this then work. :ilikeit: Wouldn't want to be stuck still in the house trying to get tennants, while we could have been some where else, know what I mean? Do we just give normal notice, a month, and that's it, or is it more involved? :ilikeit:

Advice appreciated

Cheers

D

Hi

Here in Perth they keep you responsible for the entire duration or the lease.

To get out of the lease agreement you need to break the lease by giving notice (a letter), then the agent advertise and signs a new tennant while you remain responsible for all the costs until the new tennant actually moves in.

The owner must be in the same position as before the lease was broken.

This costs incurred is then normally recovered from your Bond. On a rental of say $1200pm your costs may be as high as $500 but it depends how soon they get a new tennant. If you get the tennant then the owner still needs to approve them and you will save advertisement fees.

Hope it helps!!

Hi D,

In Sydney, the rental agreement can be enforced for the duration of the contract, whether or not you are residing at the property. You need to give very early notice to the agent of your intention to withdraw, because if they are able to find a new tenant, then they generally will let you out of the financial responsibility of the rental cost till the end of the lease- but they may hold you liable for the cost of advertising to find a replacement tenant. I got my current house the through a lease cancellation - the family had signed a 6 month lease and needed to move within 6 weeks - and I have a friend that lived in Cherrybrook and decided to move to Perth (I can hear all the Perthians cheering his good taste :blink::lol: ) but he found tenants on his own to take over the lease (through some work connection) and they were approved by the owner, so no costs were involved at all.

I think early notification is key...

Love

Ajay

Thanks so much!!

Ok, our rental agreement is due for renewal end of May 2007, which is in two month. Do you think I must try and see if they will agree to a 6 month contract and just be upfront about our plans? Or do we just keep quiet and keep on for a new 12 month rental? I am just scared that if we tell them we would like a 6 month contract, they might wanna through us out cause they don't want to sign a six month lease, or they might even push the rent up because we only sign for 6 month lease, never know.

Dunno :blink:

Guest Bronwyn

I wouldn't sign 6 months! Won't they let you go month to month with a 2 month notice applicable, or something like that? We did that in PTA, our 6 month rental turned into 9 months.

We gave 2 months notice so they were able to find someone else in time.

Bron

Hmmm now I can be wrong but we rented through agents twice now and when your lease is up for renewal usually it is no problem if you keep it on a month to month basis. However I would try not to lease it for another 6 months it could be too long and as the others say you will be liable for the costs concerning the finding of a new tennant and also apying rent until the new one moves in

Hi again,

Once your initial lease period is up, it should revert to a month by month basis - no need to sign any new committment in terms of duration. So just sjuuut - and then give notice when you are ready to join us here in Sydney :lol:

Bear in mind also that your rent might go up at the end of May as well - it usually does when the initial lease term comes to an end :blink:

Love

Ajay