Does anyone know where I could get Propain in Australia?

Riekie

The Saffer shops used to have it, but no more... Tried online, but no success. There's something in it which is just the death of any headache within minutes!

Riekie

I've done an online search of the ingredients and they are paracetamol BP 400mg, codeine phosphate BP 10mg, diphenhydramine hydrochloride BP 5mg, caffeine anhydrous BP 50mg.

O.K so we know that tablets such as painstop or any of the chemist painkillers can give you the paracetamol and the 10mg of codeine, the tricky part is the diphenhydramine hydrochloride, it is commonly used in some sleeping tablets and also as an antihistamine, but the doses are higher than you need, the smallest I could see was 25mg. You could take a half teaspoon of benadryl to get around 6mg but check that the Australian version does have diphenhydramine and not gauphensin. I found this link http://www.biovea.com/au/product_detail.aspx?NAME=ALLERGY-MEDICINE-Diphenhydramine-HCI-25mg-600-MiniTabs&PID=2003&OS=210#.UFGLeFG-WQ4

for allergy medicine with 25 mg diphenhydramine and it seems easily available but you would have to try and cut the tablet into around four pieces.

Caffeine anhydrous is what is found in pre work out powders that body builders use to get energy but at much higher doses, not sure if there is another form of caffeine you could substitute.

Why not write all the ingredients down and go to a nice pharmacist and see if there is something similar that he can advise, otherwise you'll have to mix and match and be very careful.

We are so used to getting quite dangerous mixes of medication in RSA, but if it is something you know works for you, persevere and try and get something as close as possible. Things like Tylenol and Advil congestion would be similar but I don't know if they contain the same ingredients in Australia.

Good luck.

• Like 1

Have you tried Mersyndol? it has paracetamol and codeine and doxylamine succinate which has similar effects to diphenhydramine, as in antihistamine/sedative. I'm imagining that the dipenhydramine in propain lightly relaxes or sedates you, while the caffeine ups you or counteracts the sedative effects.

I had a good laugh at myself right now. :jester:

I read propane (as in the gas that you ignite - gasbottles and lighters), so this sentence was really weird:

There's something in it which is just the death of any headache within minutes!

For a second I was thinking you snif gas to cure your headaches and was thinking it will definitely be the death of something :P:jester:

Edited by Erik
  • Like 2

Riekie, I have ordered Propain and Betapain before from Springbok Pharmacy in SAfrica and had no problems with it coming in on this side. It was a while ago though, but might be worth a try. http://www.springbokpharmacy.co.za/

Thanks Andrea & Estelle. I'll start my own little drug lab in my kitchen - may even start selling it on the street LOL :D (PS Estelle, I could not find it on Springbokpharmacy to order online - maybe I should email them.)

Erik you're hilarious! Both you & Bron must have thought: "Aaah, so THAT'S what's wrong with this Riekie woman!" HeHe!

PS Andrea - Haven't tried Mersyndol yet - will give it a go :)

Hi Riekie

I also used to use Propain and Pynstop, which is similar except that the Propain contains diphenhydramine hydrochloride BP 5mg, while Pynstop contains doxylamine succinate 5 mg, both of which are anti-histamines and are used for their sedative and muscle relaxant effects.

I use Dolased here instead of the SA Pynstop and find it works just as well. The active ingredients are as follows:

Codeine phosphate 10 mg - analgesic to relieve pain

Paracetamol 450 mg - analgesic to relieve pain

Caffeine 45 mg - helps the other ingredients to absorb faster (does not mean you should increase your coffee intake)

Doxylamine succinate 5 mg - relaxes muscular tension (referred to on the box as a 'calmative')

The above ingredients are exactly the same as those in Propain, apart for the substitution of the Doxylamine succinate for the diphenhydramine hydrochloride.

Good luck. Hope this helps.

Best, Jan

PS Andrea - Haven't tried Mersyndol yet - will give it a go :)

There are two versions, a day time one and a night time one with a muscle relaxant which is really good if you have tension and pain radiating through your neck and shoulders.

I spent about 15 months with a slipped disc and trapped sciatic nerve and tried lots of different painkillers to find a balance with pain relief where I wasn't sedated and pain relief that enabled me to sleep for more than an hour. I had morphine type pain relief for when things got really bad but don't like how it makes me feel, thankfully I finally had a back operation and 9 months later am much better but still can't treat my body like I used to, which was go, go, go.

You need to find a nice South African pharmacist, I have one and can say, what can you give me that's like myprodol and she comes up with the goods.

Blood Hell! Have you guys watched the series 'Breaking Bad'? I'm hooked. Watch it (from series 1) & you'll see why this conversation reminded me of it :)

Riekie, your best bet would be to email Springbok Pharmacy. I used to email them and if I remember correctly, the name of the pharmacist I dealt with was Renier.

You can also try Panafen. It is not available off the shelf, but you can ask for it at the prescription area (without a prescription).

Perhaps try going to a compounding pharmacy with the ingredients and see if they'll make a batch up for you?

edited for spelling and grammar

Edited by JackieO

Beware if you take mersyndol, are you are going for a drug screening test for work. You will fail!!!!

It happened to me as I tested positve for opiates !! My new employment was delayed for 2 weeks, I was very embarrassed !!!

Thanks everyone so much for your help!

Far out Enrica! Thanks for the heads up!

Beware if you take mersyndol, are you are going for a drug screening test for work. You will fail!!!!

It happened to me as I tested positve for opiates !! My new employment was delayed for 2 weeks, I was very embarrassed !!!

Yes, please be aware of taking any medicines or tablets as many show up on work drug testing, you can get a letter from your pharmacist/Dr to show work, but new employment will be delayed until a clear test comes up.