Spiders, dust and splinters

Reinhardt & Christa

(Die Afrikaanse weergawe volg onder)

It’s been a while since I’ve last written something on this blog. There are a few reasons for this; As you may have noticed, I finally converted my photography interest into a hobby a few months ago and that blog steals most of my time on the train back home from work. Of course the other reason is that we have now been “down under” for almost five years and life has a way of changing anything that is new and exciting into mundane routine. When I do have a story to tell, it then relies on the presense of that elusive inspiration. I told my sister the other day, inspiration is a lot like going to the loo. Some days you push and push and nothing happens, and other times it comes like the volcanic whoopies and you have to drop everything and start writing before it is too late and all is lost. But before I expand too much on that disturbing thought, here is the next story from the life of the “Möllers Down Under”…

continue reading...

Dis nou al ‘n hele paar maande sedert ek laas hier kom skryf het. Daar is ‘n paar redes hiervoor; Soos julle seker al agter gekom het, het ek ‘n paar maande gelede uiteindelik my ander belangstelling in ‘n stokperdjie omskep, naamlik fotografie, en daardie blog steel maar die meeste van my tyd op die trein terug huis toe vanaf die werk. Die ander ding natuurlik is dat ons nou al amper vyf jaar “down under” is en die lewe het maar ‘n manier om enigiets wat nuut en opwindend is te verander in die alledaagse en vervelige roetine. Wanneer daar dan wel ‘n storie is om te vertel is dit afhanklik van die teenwoordigheid van daai liewe inspirasie. Ek het so rukkie terug vir my sussie vertel dat inspirasie baie is soos om toilet toe te gaan - soms druk jy en druk jy en niks gebeur nie, ander kere is dit soos gietergriep en moet jy net hardloop en begin skryf of dis te laat en alles is verlore. Nou ja, voor ek te veel uitbrei op daardie ontstellende gedagte, hier is die volgende storie in die Möllers se lewens “Down Under”…

lees verder...

• Like 4

Thanks for sharing this you had me giggling in the office, and a lot of weird looks did I get, but it was wortyh it, I will make sure to keep kids and balls simultateously out the passage. :ilikeit::lol:

• Like 1

What a great post. Although to be honest i would have rather lost my bond then to get into the roof with the spiders!

• Like 1

That's funny - and I have had the same problem - except I called the landlord and said "Fix, Boet".

The same cardboard mush where the thing had been attached and reattached, again and again.

How ANYONE in his right mind can think that a light fitting will sit / stay when screwed into a ceiling board "gaan my te bowe" as us Boere say. And even if the Boere don't say it, I do, sometimes.

Eventually I sent him into the roof with a plank and got him to hold it over the hole, while I drilled from below and attached the thing for good.

I reckon if there's and earthquake, scientists will come round to wonder why the rest of the house wasn't built the same way. ;)

Edited by OubaasDik
  • Like 2

Thanks for the comments all, much appreciated. :) OubaasDik, they just don't make them the same here as they do in SA... :)

Thanks for the comments all, much appreciated. :) OubaasDik, they just don't make them the same here as they do in SA... :)

Even there, you can't fix a light fitting permanently with one or two wood screws into the board ...... :)