Garlic Snails

Riekie

Does anyone know where to buy serving bowls for garlic snails in Australia? Anyone has a good recipe? Thanks heaps!

Sorry cant help but we were at Spur last week and the table of Aussies next to us was looking at the menu. You should have heard the comments when they saw snails on the menu. :)

On a recent trip to SA, we went to Spur (a number of times) and I was very excited to be having snails again!

My 3 year old, being an Aussie, had obviously never witnessed this seemingly barbaric practice, was horrified!

"Daddy!!! You don't EAT snails, you STOMP on them!" (Proceeds to give the entire restaurant a demonstration on how you stomp on snails)

I don't have a recipe, but for serving bowls, Maxwell & Williams make them and you get their stuff at "HOUSE. Just do a search on escargot serving dish Maxwell Williams.

Or if you use ebay there are plenty of weird and wonderful varieties...

Hope this helps.

PS: don't be shy on the garlic :)

My family (with the exception of me...) LOVE spur's garlic snails and Tsotsi (in Sydney) is serving them up - tastes exactly like spur's (apparently...) which got the craving for garlic snails going again in our household! I got hold of some canned snails and went to all the shops in our shopping centre which sells house goodies - asking for serving bowls for snails got quite a few very interessting responses! LOL :lol: I even tried Ebay... nada... (There's one set in USA at the very nice price of $14 but with a postage fee of $51!)

Thanks for the tip HansaPlease! I actually went to House and this is where they looked at me like I'm just a little bit crazy! HeHe! Maybe I should go on Maxwell & Williams' website... I'll remember to have a heavy hand on the garlic - I suppose you've got to hide the taste somehow.... LOL

Ps: where on earth did you find a can in Aus?

OMW do not tell me I can't get garlic snails in Oz......aaaaaaaahhhhh I think I'm going to have to rethink my plans LOL. I cannot live without cheesy garlic snails UGH. Thanks for the tip off though..something else I need to add to my list of things to bring....although I only need one...no one else in my family thinks they are worth eating..

We get them at the SA shops here in WA we bought them a couple of times but they only sell those big cans so we always have to have friends over when we open them! They are already cooked in the can so my wife just Pan-fry them with strong Garlic butter! Sometimes she makes a Creamy Garlic thinggy but what she puts in there I don't know! Better than Spur I reckon! :ilikeit:

Hie hie, I saw them on Lucky Tsotsi's menu. The snails, that is, not the weird little plates.

Bit of useful/less information. I once watched Gordon Ramsay, on TV, pay his kids money to collect regular snails out of his garden. He then put them in a big, sealed container, with a load of raw carrots. Apparently, he was saying, as soon as the nails poop out orange, it means that they have flushed their systems with the carrot and is good to cook with. Bon Appetite.

Edited by rozellem

Got the can from Satooz - they have the small ones. Or I could buy the big cans @ the Saffer shop here in Dural :)

Our local SA shop on the Sunshine Coast sell the snails and we could not find the dishes anywhere in Ozz, the lady from our local home shop inform us they stopped selling them about 12 yrs ago. I got a set sent from SA, supplier I think was Continental. If anyone is still interested I'll scratch around and find the details and cost etc - if they still in business?

So Maxwell & Williams said they used to have them, but no longer do and would try to get one for me from one of their resellers - nothing... Went to Victoria's basement - nothing. Went to a few speciality household & kitchen shops - nothing... Dang!

I got a set sent from SA, supplier I think was Continental. If anyone is still interested I'll scratch around and find the details and cost etc - if they still in business?

I would definitely be interested - thanks! :ilikeit:

Thanks! I'll check it out :)

You could try http://www.essentialingredient.com.au/ They usually are very helpful and would order in the snail serving bowls if they don't have have them or try ebay or http://www.everten.com.au/home.php

Edited by sonnetjie

Hi Riekie, a new south african bar/restaurant has opened in Sydney and is called Lucky Tsotsi. Website is below and they serve garlic snails etc. Food is lekker and great atmosphere!!

http://www.luckytsotsi.com.au/

Mav009, you are preaching to the converted! Rickie is a regular tsotsi ;). I myself have been twice, great place. While there, one of the owners told us that they have a pizza place in Northbridge called Russos, have done for years. It is just fantastic and has become a bit of a Fri night institution with us. Do yourself a favour and go.

• 5 months later...

I saw Mr Price Home here in SA selling the snail bowls last week - wonder if they would ship them to Oz? For the sauce, I usually make a good chees sauce (white sauce with grated cheese in it) and then add plenty garlic! Yum!!!