History of this Forum

Lynnie

Question

Hi,

I was just curious as to when this Forum was started, by whom and how did it all come together?

12 answers to this question

That is a great question Lynnie, I look forward to the answers. I've been around since 2006 at least ( different profile ) and Mara, Bob, Pippa, Queensland Girl, and the fantastic Riekie were all on here before me.

• Like 2

This site has been so valuable for me. I plan to stick around for a long time to "pay it forward" :)

I think it'd maybe be an idea to have some kind of a donation thing with Paypal so that we can help with the running costs of the site.

• Like 4

Nice of you Donovan but we've been doing it as a labour of love and will continue to do so. Once money is involved, it simply gets too complicated. Thanks for the thought though - but you can "pay" by paying it forward. For most of the hosts, this is our "baby" and we just love how it's grown into the huge success it is today. Our members are all key in that, and we appreciate it immensely!

Maybe wizard Jordy could give us some interesting stats on our annual member growth, current member count, average posts/hits/etc per day/year.... I know he loves this stuff.... Hint hint Jordy... :)

• Like 4

lol Hint taken. I will put up some stats tomorrow arvo.

BUT FOR NOW A TRULY REMARKABLE STAT....................................

WE are just about to approve our 10000th member.

• Like 13

Wow. That's astounding!

It would be nice to see how many members joined monthly, how many posts were made etc. If you have the data in excel I could put some graphs together?

(yes I'm a nerd shhh)

• Like 1

To all the founding members and current hosts: You have succeeded.

I have told everyone I know about the invaluable support that a person receives on this forum. I am especially grateful for the values that govern this forum (respect, selflessness,etc.) and believe that this is a taste of what life, and interaction with others should be like. Thank you for the information, reassurance, advice, laughter and sorrows that we are able to learn from.

SAAustralia...I salute you!

• Like 6

I have to agree with my wife (OnYellowBrickRd). I cannot tell you all how helpful and supportive the hosts and members of this forum have been. Even though in the short time that I have been a member and had a few scuffles with members it feels like we are family and that we have be accepted unconditionally. I plan on being around for a long time and one of the things I truly believe in is paying it forward. We have no idea (and may never now either) what affect or influence we may have in changing other peoples lives.

Keep up the good work saaustralia.

Edited by HadEnoughofJuju
  • Like 5

I've been a member since May 2007 and have met some truly amazing people, some truly annoying people ( gosh there have been some spats of note) and through it all the hosts have done such an amazing job.

This truly is a special forum and though some of us can no longer offer visa advice due to the changes, it still gives me a thrill to share peoples journey and to celebrate with them when they post their triumphs. Thank you to all the selfless people who make this forum what it is. :yourock: :yourock:

• Like 3

I have to agree.

This site has really helped us a lot, and hope we can make a contribution.

Unlucky for us we just got our visa, and then the laws changed so hopefully can assist other forum members in other ways.