Anyone from Kloof, KZN

Chol

Hello

I'm originally from Kloof, KZN but I've been in Australia for almost 10 years now. Is anyone else from there? For as long as I've been here I've never run into anyone else from my old home town :)

Where in Aus are you? We are from Durban (Westville/Umhlanga) but I did own a business in Kloof & Hillcrest for a few years.

In Brisbane by the way.

Hi MarcK

Nice to meet you :) Well my family and I are in Adelaide but will be moving up to Brisbane next year funny enough. What business did you own in Kloof & Hillcrest, and where do you live in Brisbane now? Any good suburbs recommendations :) I'm 32 and lived in Kloof my whole life up until I left in 2004 for Australia.

HI Chol,

There are actually a few member on here from Kloof, I am originally from Pinetown but ended up in Newcastle. Many of the members in Oz form KZN do not frequent the forum anymore, but I will tell those I know to do a "sticky beak" and look you up.

T

I was from Forest Hills in Kloof - near the gorge, a beautiful part of KZN - thought Id never leave. Was back recently, Kloof still looks the same. Maybe a few more small office blocks - Hillcrest has spread tho - lots of new buildings and intersection Old Main and Inanda getting a widen.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks everyone. Sorry I thought the forum would e-mail me when someone replied because it did for the first post. Anyway.

Yes Forest Hills, Kloof are very beautiful. I do miss that about them (however not enough to move back! :)) I have heard that about Hillcrest, I guess they were trying to cut down on the awful traffic down Fields Hill.

Is it just me or does everyone from these areas end up in Canberra? :) I'm actually doing some work for someone Canberra, if I travel up again I'll ping here in case anyone is near the city and wants to say hi.

• Like 1

HI Chol,

It would be great to meet and say HI, give us a shout when you are in the area.

T

Yes Forest Hills, Kloof are very beautiful. I do miss that about them (however not enough to move back! :)) I have heard that about Hillcrest, I guess they were trying to cut down on the awful traffic down Fields Hill.

Nope, Hillcrest boomed when they built mega complexes like Plantations

http://www.plantations.co.za/

Those complexes are the reason why the infrastructure in Hillcrest is so stretched. But it has lead to two new shopping centers opening... that has helped the property prices in the area a lot. You now only have to drive down fields hill to go to work, not to do your shopping on the weekend.

Fields hill is still awful... there are at least accidents involving trucks every month. Nearly all of those accidents are in the same spot (the last big corner before Pinetown)

There was a plan to build an alternative to Fields Hill. The road would have gone from Hillcrest, through Forest Hills and then through Inanda. That was scrapped partially because the road would have had to cross the kloof gorge, but mostly because people in Forest Hills didn't want their neighborhood to boom like Hillcrest has.

But at the end of the day, its all really a mute point. The new "National Credit Act" has seriously limited the number of people who can afford "1st world" housing. So the demand for it is terrible at the moment. Also as we all know, a lot of educated people are leaving RSA.

But on the bright side, complexes like plantations were built nearly entirely with private funds. So until the demand sky rockets again, you will be unlikely to see a lot more housing built in the area. Its just going to take Hillcrest a while to upgrade Old Main Road.

• 5 weeks later...

Hey Chol

I am from Winston Park...did all our shopping at the Spar in Kloof. I had a business in Pinetown which I shut down to move to Australia.

A very beautiful place and I still miss it but the drivers an the politics....nah!!!

If you are ever up this way, let us know. May be an opportunity for some of the forum members to get together and meet up.

cheers

Monsta: Ah yes, Plantations, I remember it - they were building that when I left.

Hey Darkwing, actually we just got back from a trip to Brisbane to scope out some of the suburbs. I'll let you know when we next up there!

• Like 1