IOM bookings

JellyTots

Not sure if anyone can help with this question.

From other posts, I see that if you book through IOM, you need to provide them with proof of your PR visa.

As my children and myself are all Australian Citizens and it is only my husband that has the PR visa, would we be able to book through them as well?

Thanks

J

I've seen others on a temporary visa as well so maybe it's only that they are happy with one way travel? Not too sure. Best is probably to give them a call and speak to Thumi (not Gloria, she's beyond useless). Thumi is very helpful.

I've seen others on a temporary visa as well so maybe it's only that they are happy with one way travel? Not too sure. Best is probably to give them a call and speak to Thumi (not Gloria, she's beyond useless). Thumi is very helpful.

Lol. I see you have also had your experience with Gloria as well. I booked the flights for my wife and 2 boys with them today. Took a bit of a shakeup email to get the quote out of them

• Like 1

Can someone please tell me what IOM is? Have seen it mentioned a few times... What are the reasons for booking through them?

Can someone please tell me what IOM is? Have seen it mentioned a few times... What are the reasons for booking through them?

http://iom.org.za/web/

The reasons for booking with them are that their prices are cheaper and their luggage allowance is 40kgs per person. But you must have a visa (temporary or permanent, but not visitor's) and it's a one way flight.

The reasons for booking with them are that their prices are cheaper and their luggage allowance is 40kgs per person. But you must have a visa (temporary or permanent, but not visitor's) and it's a one way flight.

That is correct. I found out about them on my 175VE visa grant notice. They are based in Pretoria. You can contact Tumi on 012 342 2789 or email her at TRABOTHATA@iom.int. She is the most helpful. They obtain a quote for you with a provisional booking and once you pay they book it for you. You receive an electronic ticket. As mentioned it is only valid for a one way ticket. Children under a certain age travel at a reduced rate.

That is correct. I found out about them on my 175VE visa grant notice. They are based in Pretoria. You can contact Tumi on 012 342 2789 or email her at TRABOTHATA@iom.int. She is the most helpful. They obtain a quote for you with a provisional booking and once you pay they book it for you. You receive an electronic ticket. As mentioned it is only valid for a one way ticket. Children under a certain age travel at a reduced rate.

Hmmmm - so does that mean for my boys and I travelling on Oz passports that we can't use them?

So the cost of paying for a one-way ticket (normally more than a return) is offset by the extra baggage allowed?

Just to put into perspective, the day we booked, quote from quantas was just over R45000 for 3 adults and 1 child (my daughter is 12 so classified as an adult) one way, Jhb to Adelaide via Sydney. Exact same flights with IOM was R30100. 40kg luggage allowance per person, even for the child. Quantas would be 1 x baggage.

• Like 2

Hmmmm - so does that mean for my boys and I travelling on Oz passports that we can't use them?

So the cost of paying for a one-way ticket (normally more than a return) is offset by the extra baggage allowed?

I don't think the increased luggage is related to the ticket price. I have the impression that the flights are subsidised by the organisation.

Liz I suggest you call Thumi and ask, as your situation is a little unusual. You might have a case, as you are currently resident in SA and moving to Australia, so I would think there is an argument that you are definitely 'migrating'.

Edited by Bronwyn&Co

Thanks for the help, I'll be sure to remember when we're closer to the time of actually booking flights.

• 4 months later...

Hi,this must sound stupid, but what is this IOM flight thing? We need to start looking at one way flight prices from SA to Melbourne I saw flights on this IOM? is cheapest but where and how do I get hold of them?

Hi,this must sound stupid, but what is this IOM flight thing? We need to start looking at one way flight prices from SA to Melbourne I saw flights on this IOM? is cheapest but where and how do I get hold of them?

Hi Urshela

You will find all their details on their website, the link to the website has been posted by Bronwyn&Co a couple posts before this one

• 2 months later...

Hi, is anyone able to help me with another contact at IOM, Tumi is on leave until 19 April. The email address she refers me to in her out of office, are not responding to my emails.

I have just contacted IOM (tel: 012 342 2789) and spoke to a very helpful lady : Deeksha Bhoola (email address : DBhoola@iom.int) Hope that helps!

• Like 1

Thank you sooo much africancowgirl, I e-mailed her and within a matter of minutes she had replied :ilikeit:

• 5 months later...

Thanks for this.

I would like to email Tumi tomorrow re getting my 2 boys on a flight in Dec. Do I request a booking from JHB only? Not CT or DUR?

Request from CT or DUR, IOM will factor in the necessary connecting flights and quote accordingly. IOM will use SAA for the local flight as well, so possibly not the most cost effective, however when considering the baggage allowance applies to the local flight as well, it may be still worth your while. The local flight is also discounted as far as I remember.

• Like 1

Thank you Jet1, I have requested a quote from DUR - BNE and Tumi helped me within 2 hours. Also $700 cheaper than normal with 2 x 23kg each. And on the requested date.

So impressed!

you can only use it once in your life for a one way travel.I dont think it matters where you have citizenship.