Trip to Oz over Christmas

LizM

Thought I'd share a photo of the beautiful Shoal Bay (we spent a few days there before Christmas last year). I can't wait to make camping/touring a regular past time for my boyspost-17252-0-92190900-1346079153_thumb.j

• Like 6

Wow! What an awesome picture! B)

post-17252-0-87030800-1346144686_thumb.j This is the camp/caravan site at Shoal Bay - fairly typical of these types of things. It's clean! Amenities great etc. Just across the road from the beach and a short bike ride to hike up the hill (where we were for the previous photo)

post-17252-0-31294400-1346144766_thumb.j Lovely Shoal Bay. Clean.

post-17252-0-22836400-1346144419_thumb.j This is Anna Bay - near Shoal Bay. Totally stunning. There during school holidays and we had it to ourselves except for one other family. It's clean.

post-17252-0-25484700-1346144436_thumb.j This is Bendelong which is on the South Coast of NSW. It's clean.

post-17252-0-68956000-1346144505_thumb.j The rays come right to the shore (where the fisherman gut the fish). We stopped here on our way to Kiola Beach. It's clean.

post-17252-0-56543700-1346144547_thumb.j Kiola Beach - the caravan park is right at the beach (not even a road to cross to get to it). It's a massive park though - we wouldn't stay there again just because of the sheer size and numbers of people. Kangaroos hop around all over the place. Yep, you guessed it - it's clean.

post-17252-0-39140700-1346144647_thumb.j This is where the river joins the beach at Kiola. These sorts of inlets and bays are quite common along the East Coast of NSW - there's so many places to go and see and stay at. What I LOVE most is that the water is warm enough to swim in haha.

post-17252-0-00044000-1346144807_thumb.j Here's a typical neighbourhood park (this is in Moorebank which is outside of Sydney). Clean.

post-17252-0-99033700-1346144839_thumb.j This is Sussex Inlet - posted this to show the free gas BBQ on the left. Clean. That's my dad on the long board haha

Edited by LizM

Oh - should mention - the tents in the foreground are my family's - behind that are their permanent tents (complete with bathrooms), there are permanent "cabins" at the park too and then sites for caravans.

Sorry - I don't know how to make the photos smaller?

Edited by LizM

Thanks Liz I enjoyed those photos, lots of places I haven't been, and the size was good for me.

Must say you lot on this forum are putting me off visiting south africa with all your emphasis on how clean it is here...I now imagine crisp packets blowing in the wind everywhere as soon as I get off the plane :)

Edited by Fish
  • Like 1

Fish - South Africa has a beauty all of it's own. Personally I don't think even Sydney can compare with the natural beauty of Cape Town with its backdrop of Table Mountain - you have to see it in person to be able to really appreciate it.

There are some totally gorgeous places to see - the Drakensburg, Wild Coast, Plett etc.

I think the rubbish could probably be directly linked to the informal settlements and the lack of adequate disposal methods. I work in Claremont in the Southern Suburbs of CT and there is a real effort to keep the streets clean here. It's just a general observation that there really is litter all over the place. Other Provinces/cities I've been to seem to be a LOT less tidy/clean.

• Like 1

Fish - South Africa has a beauty all of it's own. Personally I don't think even Sydney can compare with the natural beauty of Cape Town with its backdrop of Table Mountain - you have to see it in person to be able to really appreciate it.

There are some totally gorgeous places to see - the Drakensburg, Wild Coast, Plett etc.

I think the rubbish could probably be directly linked to the informal settlements and the lack of adequate disposal methods. I work in Claremont in the Southern Suburbs of CT and there is a real effort to keep the streets clean here. It's just a general observation that there really is litter all over the place. Other Provinces/cities I've been to seem to be a LOT less tidy/clean.

I live in queensland though so I agree nsw is nothing special :D

Shame about the litter but I'm sure South Africa has many beautiful parts !!!

Edited by Fish
  • Like 1

Thanks Liz I enjoyed those photos, lots of places I haven't been, and the size was good for me.

Must say you lot on this forum are putting me off visiting south africa with all your emphasis on how clean it is here...I now imagine crisp packets blowing in the wind everywhere as soon as I get off the plane :)

It's certainly not putting me off. I've never been to South Africa before, and I'd desperately like to go some time in the next few years; particularly Pretoria, since that's the area my friends are originally from. I'm even starting to attempt to learn Afrikaans, so I can have some basic phrases ready in my knowledge base for when I eventually get over there. Yes, these photos in this thread are simply stunning, but I'm sure there would be many fantastic things to see in South Africa as well. B)

Edited by CatLover74

jealous :boxing:

Seriously though, stunning pictures. The sea is so beautiful and scary having a stingray come to the shore :blink:

It's certainly not putting me off. I've never been to South Africa before, and I'd desperately like to go some time in the next few years; particularly Pretoria, since that's the area my friends are originally from. I'm even starting to attempt to learn Afrikaans, so I can have some basic phrases ready in my knowledge base for when I eventually get over there. Yes, these photos in this thread are simply stunning, but I'm sure there would be many fantastic things to see in South Africa as well. B)

Just joshing ;) I tried to learn Afrikaans off some work mates but I'm really bad at it :(

Edited by Fish

• 4 weeks later...

Just joshing ;) I tried to learn Afrikaans off some work mates but I'm really bad at it :(

I find it easier to write in Afrikaans, although I still frequently make mistakes (with my extremely limited knowledge of it). Speaking it, or understanding it when it's spoken to me is still really difficult and something I need to put a lot of work into if I ever want to improve.

Awesome - can't wait to have these kind of views on holiday. :ilikeit:

You'll love it.

My eldest (4 at the end of Jan) keeps asking when we're going to Sydney and going camping again.