Moving Dogs

ShazPas

I hope as Zamunda has said they will revise the procedure, hopefully by the time we go over next year it will be easier and less stressfull.

• Like 1

Yip, can only hope for the best at this moment and time I guess :)

Will seriously have to look into this NZ route for bringing in the dogs... might be a cheaper and less stressful alternative for us. :)

I have done the research and the NZ route is not only cheaper but less stressful on the dogs and I dont want to wait 7 months to have my babies join us.

For me, they will make me feel more at home in Oz. Especially when my girls go to school.

• Like 1

Elmarie61 and Zoot,

Thank you so much for your replies!

I am now taking my girls to Keringa next Friday :cry::) Its a happy sad event! 7 months is long time not to see my babies!

Now to start packing!!

I have done the research and the NZ route is not only cheaper but less stressful on the dogs and I dont want to wait 7 months to have my babies join us.

For me, they will make me feel more at home in Oz. Especially when my girls go to school.

Great, we will seriously consider this, as we also would like something "homely" for us, especially at least 2 of the 5 of our 4-legged kids ;)

• Like 1

I hope as Zamunda has said they will revise the procedure, hopefully by the time we go over next year it will be easier and less stressfull.

I am following up on the new developments. Will keep the forum updated as I hear. At the moment the deadline for the close of input from the various stake holders is 24th Sept. The Oz authorities are quite quick in getting things finalised, so I assume by November we should hear something.

• Like 2

Hi, we also have 2 fourlegged children and planned to take them with. (2xJack Russels)

We've got a quote from Kerringa for the normal SA-Aus route. We are rather seriously considering the NZ route. From above we understand the NZ route, but ...

Can somebody please advise, how do I start the NZ route? Meaning ... where do we get the chips done and the necessary vaccines? Can a normal Vet do this or do we need to go to a specific VET / company? Do I need to register somewhere my intention to do this?

Friends of mine brought their dogs over. They don't seem to have had too much problem getting rentals but they did say the dog food is costing a bit ($100 for a big bag - but it is a special food for allergies). Also the one dog cut his paw open in the park and the vet bill was $600 for a few stitches. It was on a Sunday though so perhaps thats why it cost so much? They had been meaning to get pet insurance since the dogs arrived a few weeks before but never got around to it. They now have pet insurance which costs them less per year than the first vet bill.

• Like 1

Thanks Zamunda, we mommies are all awaiting your post :). My little suburban family of 3 may retire to a farm in Rustenburg, suppose thats where Rhodesian Ridgebacks belong as farm dogs.

Chantel..Any vet can do it but you need to do the microchip first. Once that is in and recorded you then get the rabies shots, so a day apart is fine. It's just very important to do the microchip first. Have a chat to moveapet..they were very helpful with the whole procedure. NNB it has to be done 6 months before they leave SA so if you did it this week they would not be able to leave SA until the end of Feb next year.

May - awwww didn't know you had Ridgebacks. Love Ridgebacks. Our last big baby was a cross ridgeback cross Rotweiler. The most amazing dog I have ever met. She had a better ridge then a lot of ridgebacks which is unusual as that is generally the first thing they lose when they interbreed. We had to have her put down at the end of last year as she had terrible arthritis and was battling to get up and walk. She was a month short of turning 13. Best dog ever. Even the vet turned around to her assistants and said to them she was the most placid beautiful natured animal she had come across. Miss her every day.

Hi there. I have 3 little dogs (2 x Jack Russell Terriers & 1 x Mini Pincher). We used Keringa to bring them over from SA to Perth. I could not recommend Keringa more highly. It was a really emotional process for us, as these are our 3 babies, as with many other families. I was lucky to be in SA for 3 months of their quarantine period. During that time I visited them nearly every day. They are very flexible about visitation.

We didn't use the standard kennels at Keringa, but rather opted for the little yards with wendy houses for our 3. This was really good, because they could at least all stay together & be free to roam around whenever they wanted. The caretakers at Keringa are really good. They were very loving & patient with them. They were also very understanding towards us, knowing that it's not easy on the owners. I had constant communication with them after I left for Aus. They were always on top of anything that was going on with the dogs, regarding health, eating habits etc. The travel arrangements also went over really smoothly with them.

It's really strict at the Perth quarantine station. We could only see our dogs twice during the month they spent there, but this was due to us staying in a regional location. Once they were released, I used Sharae Petlink to do the last travel arrangements from Perth to Newman, which also went really well.

I must say that my dogs lost a significant amount of weight while in quarantine. Partly because of better feeding habits and then also because of how much they fret for you.

Now that my dogs are back with us, they are 100% back to normal. We have had absolutely no issues or changes in nature of any of them. I would highly recommend anyone do this.

Our final cost all in all was around R100 000.

• Like 2

...Our final cost all in all was around R100 000.

That's the bit which makes it not worth it in my books... :(

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all

Thanks for all the info and advise.

We chose the RSA - NZ - AUS option. Keringa was very helpful to give us all the quotes, advise and step by step process to follow. In fact they are just in general very helpful.

I phone around to get a vet to do the micro chip and vaccines. (Remember it must be the 15 digit microchip and some vets only do the 10 digit)

For those pple in Centurion - BAKENKOP ANIMAL CLINIC, helped us and they knowledgeble and helpful on the process. I would really recomend them. http://vw.bakenkopanimalclinic.co.za/

In the mean time, I see that Aus may change their legislation on the quarantine process - I am holding thumbs that we will fall into an easier and cheaper direct direct route to Aus!!!! :ilikeit:

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone know if the legislation on the quaranite period to Australia changed? I thinkg they had a big decidion or meeting or something about that on 24 September

???

HI All

The deadline was the 24th Sept for any input. I spoke to Keringa yesterday and they have not heard anything as yet. They say it may take months to implement the changes (whatever they are). I am moving my two doggies from PE via move a pet, to OZ via NZ. I have been hanging in there, hoping for a change so they can go straight to OZ.....Will be checking everyday and will post if i hear of any changes.

Great to hear from all you animal lovers! I always say "where there is a will there is a way" And they are so worth every cent!

XXX

• Like 3

Hi all! You just made my day!!

Im so glad there is a alternative for my dogs! I have thought we would have to leave them behind, as the time in aus is just too long.

But now we will be trying the NZ route!

Thank you so much!!!

• 5 months later...

Well, I have been in Australia now for two months and my 3 little furry friends will be going to Keringa in the next week for their 6 month quarantine in South Africa and then they still have to do the 1 month in Sydney, I am missing them so much.

Shaz - what was your total cost in Rands, after everything has been included?

Morning All

I'm in a bit of a flat spin. We took our two dogs to the vet two weeks ago and they got their 5 in 1 shots. Now I read that they must first be microchipped. Oh my dear me!!!! What must I do now??????? I'm freaking out!!!

Hi Toitjie, about R 130 000 for 3 little dogs

You will need to get them microchipped and then they will need another Rabies injection after the chip has been installed, send me your email address and I will send you some information I have about what needs to be done.

ouch..that is a lot! I have quotes from Keringa from WAY back when, so they are outdated.....I will have to get the microchipped this week still, but I think I will have to look at the NZ route....

• Like 1

My little (actually she is rather large!) black russian princess is currently at Kookaburra Quarantine Centre in Centurion. She has been there for two weeks now and to date we have been very happy with them. We also found their quote to be very reasonable compared to the other quotes that we had received. It is a really good option for those in and around Pretoria as they can visit their babies every day. Seven months is a long time but it is good to know that they are well looked after.

Kookaburra only takes 15 dogs at a time and so the dogs get a lot of personal attention and interaction with the owners. I have heard that my princess has come to expect and love her pre-bedtime treat every night :-)

Edited by Barbara1