Shipping back container to South Africa?

MoAus

Question

Hi,

We are having to move back from Brisbane to South Africa. Has anyone used any shipping companies? Has anyone got any experiences with cost and services? Accuracy with volume they quoting? I am getting a few quotes.

Any help and advice would be appreciated.

13 answers to this question

Hi MoAus..I can't be of any service to you I'm afraid, but just wanted to wish you luck. If you don't mind me asking why you are returning? How long have you been in Oz?

Good luck and hope you get some answers

Regards

Shona

Does the shipping company you used to get here not offer a return service? Any other international moving company such as Crown should be able to help too. I'm guessing the process would be pretty much the same with the exception of customs requirements...

For the benefit of fellow forumites, would you mind sharing your story? We hear lots about people coming to Aus, but not so much about those leaving and I'm sure people in a similar situation could learn from your experience.

Good luck - hope you find happiness, whatever your reasons. Take care!

Overseas Packers & Shippers

1127 Kingsford Smith Drive, Eagle Farm

Tel +6173268 6200

Fax +617 38681197

Email: visitus@overseaspackers.com.au

Use these people, they were really efficient, I used them from BNE to PTA, speak to Penni McCluskey. Cost me A$7000.00 to move a 20ft container. Your agent here will probably be Elliott Int.

Good Luck and may your path take you to happiness.

Hi MoAus

We moved from Noosa back to Cape Town at the end of May. I compared prices from 7 companies and got the best deal with Chess. We paid $11500 for a large container excluding insurance which we kept to a minimum. Prices ranged up to $15000. Everything arrived in one piece and we are now settling in after 5 years in Oz.

Good luck

Danie

Hi,

Having to move back due to some personal comittments. Brisbane has been great and loving it here.

• Like 1

all the best and I hope everything goes smoothly for you.

Thanks for sharing MoAus - good luck with the future! Maybe one day, Mo would come to Aus again... :)

Good luck MoAus, hope you have a safe journey. Keep in touch and let us know how you are going.

Wishing every success on your journey back to SA, I believe that Aus has made it's mark on you and you will carry that with you always. I hope you settle well back into life in South Africa and every success in the future.

God Bless.

T

Hi there

Having returned from Adelaide to Johannesburg in Jan this year after 2 years in Adelaide I would just like to give a couple of pointers that will possibly help with the return move

1. Movers - we used Chess. They were great and the cost was reasonable ($13600 for a 40ft, including insurance). It was interesting to observe the way the packing happened in Adealide - 2 to 3 packers, 2 1/2 days, no breakage or loss vs 8 men, 4 days, various losses when we left Jhb in Jan 2010. Their partner in Jhb - Biddulphs for unpacking was also pretty effiecient.

2. Flight costs to return to SA- If you are in Oz on a 457 visa , which was my case, your employer is obliged in terms of DIAC regulations to cover the cost of repatriation (air fares only)of you and your visa dependants, irrespective of your reason for leaving - confirmed with DIAC. This saved me over $7000 when we returned to SA.

3. If possible salary package the cost of your container. This costs your employer nothing and is perfectly legit. This saved us several thousand dollars as well when coming back- 38% of $13K is not insignificant. If you cannot salary package you should be able to claim it as a deduction when doing your ATO return, but it is always preferable to get the money upfront.

4. To get your super have as much documentation as you can certified in Oz before leaving. It is a painful process back in SA to arrange to have the super paid out. 7 months and I am still waiting.

One can not get away from the fact that the return move is expensive as you also have to reestablish yourself on this end - buy a house, cars, job, schools, etc. But the above may just help reduce the financial pain a little. In our case the move cost $8000 with the above savings vs $21000 without. At least we were able to offset the massive losses on selling the cars.

Good luck to you

Hi there

Having returned from Adelaide to Johannesburg in Jan this year after 2 years in Adelaide I would just like to give a couple of pointers that will possibly help with the return move

1. Movers - we used Chess. They were great and the cost was reasonable ($13600 for a 40ft, including insurance). It was interesting to observe the way the packing happened in Adealide - 2 to 3 packers, 2 1/2 days, no breakage or loss vs 8 men, 4 days, various losses when we left Jhb in Jan 2010. Their partner in Jhb - Biddulphs for unpacking was also pretty effiecient.

2. Flight costs to return to SA- If you are in Oz on a 457 visa , which was my case, your employer is obliged in terms of DIAC regulations to cover the cost of repatriation (air fares only)of you and your visa dependants, irrespective of your reason for leaving - confirmed with DIAC. This saved me over $7000 when we returned to SA.

3. If possible salary package the cost of your container. This costs your employer nothing and is perfectly legit. This saved us several thousand dollars as well when coming back- 38% of $13K is not insignificant. If you cannot salary package you should be able to claim it as a deduction when doing your ATO return, but it is always preferable to get the money upfront.

4. To get your super have as much documentation as you can certified in Oz before leaving. It is a painful process back in SA to arrange to have the super paid out. 7 months and I am still waiting.

One can not get away from the fact that the return move is expensive as you also have to reestablish yourself on this end - buy a house, cars, job, schools, etc. But the above may just help reduce the financial pain a little. In our case the move cost $8000 with the above savings vs $21000 without. At least we were able to offset the massive losses on selling the cars.

Good luck to you

Hi Andrew

Thank you for your input - but I guess the questions on everyone's mind would be your reasons for returning. If you do not mind sharing, we would appreciate if you could elaborate on your experience . . . Like Riekie said: for the benefit of fellow forumites . . . people in a similar situation could learn from your experience! :rolleyes:

Edited by LIGGIE