Found a job!

Donovan83

Today is a good day! I'm officially employed in Perth, with a start date of Monday, 1 October 2012!

:king:

Now comes the administrative fun of moving!

Edited by Donovan83
  • Like 9

hi donovan - congrats on the job.

let me know when you arrive in perth and we can have a coffee or beer.

emille

Wow Great news Donovan...so you won't be joining us after all LOL. Best of luck with the move!!!

Hey Donovan! Congrats on the job! That is really fantastic

would you like to share how you managed it and what type of job? I apply for jobs that really fit my profile but without success, even though Im indicating I can be there within a month if need be, at my own cost, and will do a skype interview..nothing. I really didnt think it would be this hard

Thanks for the congrats and replies and well wishes :) I'll type up a long reply with full details tomorrow @ Toitjie. This wasn't a completely offshore affair, I did meet with the relevant people when I went on my LSD trip. I applied to other positions too (which really fit my profile) and got rejected and sometimes ignored... the best thing to do is get on a plane and go get a job onshore. Even if you use some leave here without resigning from your job in RSA to do it, you're infinitely more likely to get a response if you physically are in the country.

Congrats Donovan!! Exciting times ahead... :ilikeit: :ilikeit: :ilikeit:

@Toitjie - it is best to apply onshore - it is a challenging process with many recruitment agents not even responding to your application. Best to try make direct contact with employer (if possible) or to call and chat to recruitment agent. Agents and employers receive heaps of online applications so will look at those with relevant Aus experience first. Remember that Aussie employers will have none or, at best, little knowledge of your employers in South Africa. Provide a company profile so they can see and understand what your company does in SA. Also provide an Australian comparison company that matches your SA employer e.g. you work for Edgars...similar organization to Myer, ABSA bank = ANZ bank. Good luck!!

Edited by MarcK

Congrats that's great news! Half of the struggle is taken away by landing with a job to go to...

All the best with the shift.

Perth is a great place.

Thanks for all the sound advice and updates you've offered so far to the many South Africans thinking of coming to Australia.

Australia . . . . . enjoy!!

Fantastic news. :ilikeit:

To make this all work takes 3 things:

A visa

A job

A good place to live.

That is fantastic news. so happy for you. Good luck with the arrangements.

Congratulations Donovan that is brilliant news - hope your OH gets to join you soon as well, if I remember correctly you might have to be apart for a bit.

Yeah unfortunately we are going to be apart for a while (about 6 months with visits here and there). We're not forced to, we've decided to do it that way because it will give us a nice boost financially (since he'll stay with his parents and I'll be staying with friends, which will let us save up some money for deposit on a home).

It's all good :) A little bit of angst now for lots of benefits later!

Donovan, congrat's on getting the job! Now all the hard "yakka" begins. As you say, a bit of angst for a lot of benefits later!

You have the right attitude so you will undoubtedly make a success of your move.

Keep us posted, cheers,

Saffer Blue

• 3 months later...