1 Month in - Our journey

blondiejhb

Hard to believe but we landed exactly a month ago. Time goes so quickly but we have managed to do most of what was on our list.

Registered for medicare, got tax file numbers, activated our bank accounts, bought a car and got insurance. Got private hospital cover, cellphones, internet. Enrolled and settled our son in school.

We are in the East of Sydney. We stayed in my SILS flat for a week, then rented a flat in Bondi overlooking the beach for 2 weeks. It is great having a stunning view but when the wind blows and it rains, you don't want to be 7 floors up. Pity the owner didn't realise that it would be appropriate to clean the flat before renting it out. :stretcher: We were supposed to pay a $50 cleaning fee when we moved but I pointed out that her flat was far cleaner after our 2 weeks there than it had ever been, and that she should actually pay me :boxing: , she decided not to pursue the $50. Last week we moved into another furnished flat within walking distance of my son's school. It is absolutely beautiful, but very expensive. On Saturday we are going to start looking at places around Maroubra which is a bit further out but the properties are cheaper and a bit bigger. It is very difficult to find a property in this area that has a small garden for my dog when she arrives. I'm happy that she is only coming in January as this gives us time to get more settled.

Your 1st couple of grocery shops are very expensive and take forever. You don't realise how many spices you usually use until you try to cook something. I find spices very expensive here, but there are probably shops that are cheaper for them. You need to buy everything from scratch, from tin foil to Worcester sauce. Don't buy what you don't need straight away as chances are that some of the things will go on special soon. I like that they give you the price per item as well as the price per 100ml or per unit. It makes it so much easier to compare the price of different brands. It's amazing how long everything lasts when there's no Sophie around.

Everything has a system here. Hubby had to go to the department of Fair Trade to apply for his plumbers license. You are supposed to take a number when you arrive, but seeming as there was 2 counters and only 1 other person there he went straight to the empty counter and she sent him back to take a number :rolleyes: , don't stuff the system. We went out for breakfast and my son wanted salmon and egg on a croissant instead of toast and the chef refused :blink: .

Sunday family funday is amazing. We try to go somewhere different every Sunday. You buy 1 public transport ticket per person for $2.50 and you can go on everything with 1 ticket, bus, train ferry or all three. We've been to Toronga Zoo. It was quite funny. Everyone else was looking for the African animals and we were looking for the Ozzie animals. We did see the lions being fed though and this was amazing. We went to Featherdale nature reserve and fed wallabies and stroked a kaola, they are so cute, and tasmanian devils are really ugly.

Last Sunday we went to Manly and walked 7km up the hills and through the bush to try see the whales at North Head, but missed them by about 3 hours. It is a good walk though even though it took me 3 days to recover.

So far I absolutely love Sydney, but we really need to find jobs soon as I am starting to feel the pressure now. You can spend $50 in about 5 minutes in Coles as you always see something new or different to try. I've never seen so many different cleaning wipes in my life. One for mirrors, 1 for bathrooms, etc. I've ordered a steam mop which will hopefully arrive soon.

My older son came and did his visa validation, but only stayed for a week. This is the hardest part of being here. I don't feel homesick in the least, I just miss my son terribly. It was his 20th birthday on Monday, and it was really heart wrenching not being with him. He is hopefully coming for 3 weeks in December with his girlfriend and the time can't go fast enough until then. :cry:

For everyone who is on their way and who is even thinking about coming, it is so worth it. To take your child to a park that is clean and safe and not worry about rushing to leave because it's getting dark, or to take the bus or ferry home when its getting dark after a long day out, where everyone is smiling and friendly just because the sun is shining, when people help you because it's their job, and there is no car guard who doesn't have a license trying to tell you how to drive or park :jester: . I LOVE THIS PLACE :hug:

• Like 4

Ah I'm so happy for you guys and very glad you're happy and doing well over there :) Good luck with the job hunt!

Also.. post photos! ;)

Thanks Donovan, I appreciate it. Will put photos on ASAP. Just way too many beautiful ones to put up.

Aus is expensive when you first arrive. But you soon look harder for special deals, promotions and bargains. I still remember the first day I stood in Coles in Bondi Junction and did not know what bread to buy...nothing looked familiar!!

Aus is expensive when you first arrive. But you soon look harder for special deals, promotions and bargains. I still remember the first day I stood in Coles in Bondi Junction and did not know what bread to buy...nothing looked familiar!!

Haha, I know exactly what you mean. Every trip to Coles in Bondi Junction takes 2 -3 hours. :blush-anim-cl: Still can't find a decent brown bread though?????

Thanks for another encouraging post ! Can't wait to get there too :ilikeit:

Haha, I know exactly what you mean. Every trip to Coles in Bondi Junction takes 2 -3 hours. :blush-anim-cl: Still can't find a decent brown bread though?????

Try Helga's - they have variouis types of brown bread and they all good

Try Helga's - they have variouis types of brown bread and they all good

Yes, the Helga range (in any supermarket) is good. We did however settle for Burgen, another range in the supermarket, and we like the Rye bread. It has 20% rye so it does not have that full on rye taste, which I think is a good thing.

Found light wholemeal sliced bread at Franklins for $1.20 and it is very similar to Albanys' good old fashioned brown bread. :rolleyes:

Hi Blondie, we arrived at about the same time as you guys so am walking a similiar path.

thank you for your post. It is a really honest reflection of what it is like when you arrive.

I am sending you all my good mojo for the job hunting. I know too well the anxiety it causes. Its that little thing in the back of your mind that hangs over your head and even though things are good, it still hovers near the surface. Good luck. It will happen soon.

Pm if you want to chat.

Al

• Like 2