Bob's photos of Australia

Bob

7658738310_e5148d7124_b.jpg

Untitled by bobnorth1951, on Flickr

Driving around Australia, you get rest stops or truck stops to pull into to stretch your legs or pull up for lunch.

Ginnie (Virginia) took this shot of me with the local bird life at a rest stop in between Rockhampton and Mackay in central Queensland, on the main highway running north / south called the "Bruce Highway".

• Like 7

Awesome photo, Bob; thanks for sharing!

G'day Bob! Always nice to put a face to the name. Lovely photo - looking forward to seeing more! Its a dream of mine to travel around the coast of Aus- just like in the kids book "Are we there yet?". Keep em coming!

7665862690_3033fce11f_b.jpg

Going back in mid May, we left the Adelaide Hills to drop down on to the River Murray flatlands. After going half a day's drive thro the east of South Australia and across the top part of north western Victoria, called the "mallee" after a sub species of eucalyptus trees that only grows in arid parts of Australia and sprouts many limbs from the base.

We hit the River Murray, which forms the border between Victoria on the southern side and New South Wales to the north.

The river source is high up in the Australian Alps and flows downstream to connect with the Darling River System flowing south from Queensland before finally reaching the sea in South Australia . . . a journey of around 4 000 kms. It becomes much wider and deeper after the Darling has kicked in, but here it only looks like a small river.

Anyhow, for me it was time for a coffee break and stretch the legs, after 500 kms driving.

7079337921_925a4c819c_b.jpg

On the border by bobnorth1951, on Flickr

I have an old mate who was having strife at home, on one occasion explaining how he felt, so we made a plan to go "out bush" for a couple of weeks, sit around a camp fire with a few drinks and talk to our heart's content, as well as sleeping out under the stars each night. We left Adelaide in wintertime and just went north, out into the far Outback and desert country where the blue skies have wide horizons.

After four days of driving each day, we pulled up to take a snap of the Queensland border from the South Australian side. Where there is a line of trees seen from afar, there is a creek or water course.

With trees come firewood for fires at night and cooking tea, as well as bacon & eggs for brekkie in the morning and in wintertime can keep the chill off you when you sleep alongside the fire.

Edited by Bob
  • Like 2

Great pics, Bob!

You inspire me to travel around this beautiful country.

Thanks for sharing.

• Like 1

Thank you - did you guys notice: no rubbish lying arount, no squatters on the open fields, no need to fear someone coming out of the bush to rob you... absolutely wonderful!

Old mates that stayed in the site at the caravan park in Townsville alongside us for a week got together with Ginnie and ganged up on me. They all wanted to go to Magnetic Island, an island with some great sandy bays, for a couple of days. With my arm twisted, I gave in.

These shots show the beaches and secluded bays on the island

Magnetic Island, as seen from Castle Hill in Townsville

7667132790_29f1199194_b.jpg

Horseshoe Bay on the north side of Maggie Island

7667138654_d81f9a9118_b.jpg

Balding Bay on the north east. A small, sheltered bay only accessible by walking thro thick scrub for about 20 minutes

7667149654_a544cfc59c_b.jpg

Sunset at Horseshoe Bay

7667155180_4280e1ab57_b.jpg

A visitor for brekkie on the balcony of our apartment

7667161294_1b90c76ebc_b.jpg

Florence Bay, on the east. Great for snorkelling and seeing coral reefs

7667169672_665ce60b92_b.jpg

A ketch, moored in the bay, puts to sail

7667173326_7674d10e95_b.jpg

Evening at Horseshoe Bay

7667175380_3781d6f238_b.jpg

As you can tell, it's often a tough life travelling around Australia, exploring all the little islands and snorkelling among the coral reefs. When you tire of going back to South Africa, you can always explore what Australia has to offer. Hopefully, these will give you some idea of what is out there to see.

Edited by Bob
  • Like 3

Hi Bob,

Good to see you on the road again...love all the photos....did you give Emerald a miss this time? Safe travels..

Am in Townsville, Jill, for another six weeks before we race back to the Adelaide Hills to meet my sister-in-law and her husband who are in Western Australia at the moment. We go to New Zealand for a few days then. I haven't been there since working there for up to six months back in 1973. I reckon New Zealand will have changed a little bit since then???

I notice you've left the Sunny Coast and are back in Emerald.

Wow Bob, great pics. Really nice to put a face to the name. Those look like some gorgeous places. Can't wait to start exploring Australia with the kids.

Australia is safe.

It is safe to pull over at a rest stop in the middle of the day to make yourselves a thermos of coffee and a couple of sandwiches to eat, and it's just as safe to pull up when time gets on in the afternoon to think about pulling up for the night.

We've pulled over in all sorts of lonely, remote spots around Australia to spend the night in our caravan and the furthest thing from my mind is getting mugged, robbed, shot or held up.

It just doesn't happen here.

I've never had it happen to me, nor have I ever come across anyone who's been held up or knows of anyone having been held up.

So . . . . . . get out there!!!!!

• Like 2

Bob, your pics are beautiful...it really looks so amazing..I envy you for the chance of exploring...what a life!

Wow. Bob those are gorgeous pics. So clean! Its the first thing you notice :ilikeit:

Apart from all the nerves, I am so excited and cannot wait for us to get there.

Once we can travel its going to be even better.

Great pics, can't wait to exprience Australia's beauty for ourselves!