MAKING A $100 000 investment to gain Visa points

Hi

Does anyone have any idea how safe it is to send $100 000 to invest with the AUS government? I would presume it's pretty safe in their hands but just wanting to know if anyone has had to do this before and/or whether anyone has heard of problems regarding this 1 year investment requirement. It apparently is paid back with interest. I need to do this to get 5 points on the 138 skilled/sponsored visa.

Any ideas?

cheers

Lyse

I worked for the Australian government for nearly 28 years, and am receiving my Life Pension from them each fortnight now.

If the Australian government cannot meet your re-payment of $100 000 due to fiscal problems, I don't think you will be the only ones in trouble.

Even at the height of the 1930's Great Depression when the Bank of England sent Sir Otto Niemeyer out to Australia to look into the country's financial state, it still met the repayments to British capital.

I think your $100 000 is pretty safe.

I'll bet my Pension on it!

Hi there

I've seen the section on the investment, if one decides to that to meet additional requirements, how does one go about it and where do we get further info?

Thanks

C

Hi there

I've seen the section on the investment, if one decides to that to meet additional requirements, how does one go about it and where do we get further info?

Thanks

C

Hi there

Thanks

C

Hi Bob

Thanks for the confirmation! I though as much but just wanted to make sure...Chandi, we are likely to apply on the 138 skilled sponsored Visa. I fell short by five points as I have a national diploma and not a national higher diploma (degree equivalent) so it threw me down from 115 points to 105 on the occupation points.

It was our agent who informed us that we could make the investment of $100 000 in govt bonds to score five points. We get it back after a year with interest so that's cool. Hmm...I suppose you've tried the Aus govt's website on the immigration/visas section?? I think it's something like www.ausimmig, I'm sorry i don't know the correct address offhand but google it and you'll find it easily. Maybe someone else on the forum will have a better answer or as a last resort contact a reputable agent and ask them. Sorry not very enlightened on the ins and outs.

Hi, we had to invest $100K for a year to get the extra 5 points because the points went up and suddenly we did not qualify. All was fine. We got our money back plus interest, no hassles.

Here is a link to the Aus gov (www.immi.gov.au) website which lists the various depts in each state who can help answer questions on approved govt investements in the States that participate in this program

Approved Govt Investment Authorities list

Hope this helps

Matt

• 3 weeks later...