How long between container arriving in port and arrival at your door?

AllisonW

I am sure this may have been discussed before but i just can find it!

We are anxiously waiting for our container. It is due to dock in melbourne port on the 26th, this Thursday. If it is on time and target, when should i start getting hopeful about delivery. I know that it still has to go through customs etc?

Any personal experiences or info would be great!

I think it is difficult to say.

How often are the containers on time. Also it depends on how long it will take to clear customs.

However I hope that it takes quick for you. I am sure having all your belongings will make it just that much more special and to feel more at home.

Maybe you can contact your courier to find out where it is? Unless thats where you got the date from recently.

Ours docked in Sydney 3 January this year and we only got it about 3 weeks later. The company only had certain slots for the customs inspection (ours passed through with no issues) and limited delivery slots available. I'm not sure if the time frame was affected by it being January though - everywhere else in Sydney seemed to be in holiday mode until schools went back in Feb.

Delivery is normally between 10 - 14 days but can be longer, depending on customs and how busy they are. It was a while ago but I remember we had our goods delivered within 10 days, that was during the month of July.

Hi Allison

Ours is due to arrive on the 9th and our agent here has informed us that the whole customs/ quarantine process takes about 2 weeks. They first have to go and collect the container, open it and unpack all the items from the container. The customs peeps will come and inspect the inventory and decide what they all want to inspect. Apparently, she said its normally about 20% of all your goods with them concentrating on shoes, sporting and camping gear, Christmas items (decorations, trees etc.) and if you have got any kitchen stuff coming through (foodstuff). They gave us a list of stuff that they look for and if we do have any of it in our consignment to highlight it upfront.

Hope all goes well with your container being delivered.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there. We waiting for about 3 weeks from docking date to arrival at our door in regional WA. The total process time was 3 months. Goods left SA early December 2011 and arrived in Newman end Feb 2012.

Thanks all,

This is a source of great frustration in my life. Our ship is only due to arrive in port on the 15th august. This after the guys in SA told me the 26th June. :-(

I was not impressed! So we are only starting the customs count down from next week.

Al

Thats not good :( Can understand your frustration. It never feels like home until you have your own stuff around you. Look on the bright side, by the time it arrives & you start unpacking, it will feel like Christmas has got there early :) Sure there will be lots of things you forgot you had...........

Allison..who did you guys use? We are shipping out middle of November, and we fly 4th Dec..have a place rented till 11th Jan, but will have to have our own place after that. Don't want too long a wait for our stuff...UGH!!

We used Britannia. They were very good, efficient etc in SA. When we arrived in Melbourne we called them and they said that it would be here the 26th July. we started living for the date. Then we were called by the company here in Melbourne that is doing this side of the delivery. And when i confirmed the 26th, they said No, the ETA was the 15th August!

There is the huge psychological aspect of having our belongings and finally feeling like home, BUT the biggest thing for me is that i am spending money buying things that i know that are in the container! Thankfully i had to replace my fridge, washer, dryer and couches so that was ok but small things add up. For example, i am slowly collecting kitchen stuff because i just cant cope cooking without a beater, cake tins etc... And i have so much in the ship!!

So we hope that the date remains the same. And we took a full load so there should be no delay.

• Like 1

I wonder if this is a common occurrence...our container has been delayed 3 weeks due to a hold up in Singapore....

The guy who we are going with has said to us don't ship after the end of November at all because of Christmas and the docks and everything just goes very slow so he said we need to leave port by the 26th or so of November at the very latest. He estimated around 8w because of Christmas. We are thinking of packing around the 12th now and shipping asap..will just have to wait till closer to the time for the exact dates from the ships. We are taking a full 20ft container but will still have items left this side so we will not be left with nothing in the house before we leave..around 3-4w after our stuff ships.

Alison..I'm so with you on the kitchen stuff. I am not shipping my fridge, washing machine, dishwasher or tumble dryer as they are so old so will buy that new there, but things like my pressure cooker, slow cooker etc etc I use all the time. Even down to silly things like wooden spoonss. All adds up if you have to replace it that side while you wait. Hope your stuff is there soon!!

• Like 1

MBC, its like you read my mind. Its been cold here in Melbourne and i dream of my slow cooker and my bread machine and my inherited soup pot and my cast iron set of pots.....sigh!

Hi Allison

I know exactly how you feel. My container left Durban 3 weeks late (3 WEEKS SEEMS TO BE THE TREND) due to high winds, crane problems etc. It is apparently supposed to arrive in Sydney this Friday and will hopefully be delivered to us within 2 weeks after that. Even staying in a fully furnished flat I've had to go out and buy things. Why don't people have sharp knives, any tupperware or decent sized coffee mugs. We are staying in our 3rd furnished rental since arriving and none of them has all of these things. I went and bought a box of muffin mix today, and guess what, no muffin tray here. Anyway, we are moving into our own place next week end and it will be a blow up mattress, plastic plates, bowls and disposable oven trays until my stuff gets delivered. We bought some cheap cutlery which will become camping stuff and I will be using the laundramat. I WANT MY STUFF :cry:

Yes, Blondie, the mugs drove me crazy! The second day we were here i headed off to the shops to get two decent size coffee mugs. I found a place called Sams Warehouse which was great to get some cheap stuff to tide us over. Not sure if they are in NSW?

I called yesterday and they confirmed that the container is in port! So now i can only pray that customs goes smoothly. I am going to drink a bottle of wine out of my good wine glasses when that container arrives! :-)

• Like 1

I feel your pain!

My stuff took 6 months to arrive - packed 13 Jan 2012 and arrived to my doorstep on 9 July 2012.

I arrived in Australia on 2 March and moved to Adelaide on 1 May to start my new job.

ETA was given as mid March but it was clear it was never going to arrive after unfortunate unforseen circumstances and 100's of emails trying to find out what was going on. Funny how shipping companies go mute after they have your money!

I had to rent a bed, fridge, TV and microwave. The worst part was that I was in short term rental accomodation (3 months) from beginning May expecting to get my stuff in early/mid June. This was the new ETA.

I finally got hold of the name and number of the shipping company on this side and things starting moving alot quicker. It was established my container was docked in Singapore and was due in Adelaide on 26 June.

By now it was almost time to vacate my rental and I refused to have all the stuff delivered there for 4 weeks only to have to fork out more money to move it to a new rental!

I vacated earlier to a new rental and had to keep paying rent for the first place :(

Suffice to say by the time my container arrived I was well over it.

It was nice to get my bed comfy bed back and my paintings and bike. But after such a long wait I wondered if the container had been worth it! I had also bought kitchen stuff so alot I no longer needed.

But that's emigration for you. You gotta roll with the ups and downs.

Besides that, I am deliriously happy in Adelaide and it's been so worth it.

• Like 1

I get the impression that a lot of companies over promise when it comes to delivery times.

Be interesting if someone where to ask for a penalty cause to be put in for each day that the container is late.

Yes, Blondie, the mugs drove me crazy! The second day we were here i headed off to the shops to get two decent size coffee mugs. I found a place called Sams Warehouse which was great to get some cheap stuff to tide us over. Not sure if they are in NSW?

I called yesterday and they confirmed that the container is in port! So now i can only pray that customs goes smoothly. I am going to drink a bottle of wine out of my good wine glasses when that container arrives! :-)

Hot Dollar is also really good to buy those small cheap things :ilikeit: :ilikeit:

I feel your pain!

My stuff took 6 months to arrive - packed 13 Jan 2012 and arrived to my doorstep on 9 July 2012.

I arrived in Australia on 2 March and moved to Adelaide on 1 May to start my new job.

ETA was given as mid March but it was clear it was never going to arrive after unfortunate unforseen circumstances and 100's of emails trying to find out what was going on. Funny how shipping companies go mute after they have your money!

I had to rent a bed, fridge, TV and microwave. The worst part was that I was in short term rental accomodation (3 months) from beginning May expecting to get my stuff in early/mid June. This was the new ETA.

I finally got hold of the name and number of the shipping company on this side and things starting moving alot quicker. It was established my container was docked in Singapore and was due in Adelaide on 26 June.

By now it was almost time to vacate my rental and I refused to have all the stuff delivered there for 4 weeks only to have to fork out more money to move it to a new rental!

I vacated earlier to a new rental and had to keep paying rent for the first place :(

Suffice to say by the time my container arrived I was well over it.

It was nice to get my bed comfy bed back and my paintings and bike. But after such a long wait I wondered if the container had been worth it! I had also bought kitchen stuff so alot I no longer needed.

But that's emigration for you. You gotta roll with the ups and downs.

Besides that, I am deliriously happy in Adelaide and it's been so worth it.

Hi Moo, happy that your stuff finally arrived. Can't believe how many little things we had to go out and buy. Doesn't matter how good the furnished placeis, there's always little things.

I'm also looking forward to my bed arriving and all of my little boys things. I can see that he is getting quite anxious about our living arrangements. First the upheavel of packing up, then leaving, 3 furnished rentals later and running around like lunatics looking for permanent rentals. At last we have found 1 and we move sometime between 25th and 29th so he should be more settled then.

Good luck and enjoy all your things.

Regards

KERRY

Hi Moo, happy that your stuff finally arrived. Can't believe how many little things we had to go out and buy. Doesn't matter how good the furnished placeis, there's always little things.

I'm also looking forward to my bed arriving and all of my little boys things. I can see that he is getting quite anxious about our living arrangements. First the upheavel of packing up, then leaving, 3 furnished rentals later and running around like lunatics looking for permanent rentals. At last we have found 1 and we move sometime between 25th and 29th so he should be more settled then.

Good luck and enjoy all your things.

Regards

KERRY

Thanks Kerry. It makes a big difference once your'e in your own rental. But jeepers, you sure have to buy a lot of new stuff. I bought one plate, mug, bowl and a single knife, fork and spoon from Ikea to see me through and now I'm wanting to replace ALL my "old" crockery. New beginnings I say! Whereabout are you staying Kerry?

Hi Moo. We are in the Eastern suburbs in Sydney. I didn't really want to buy anything here as my container is full of new things. That's also why I can't wait for my stuff as a whole lot of it hasn't even been used. It will be like receiving presents. :glare:

Edited by blondiejhb
  • Like 1

Our container left Durban on 20 June. It was delayed somewhere along the line for a week and arrived in Brisbane on Tues 7th (7 weeks). It took the agent until Thurs or Friday to collect. The inpection took place on Tues 14th and the container was cleared without any problems. The inpection officer then has to process the paperwork and our container will be ready on Friday. The problem is that the trucks are full till Tues. That means a total of 8 weeks (1 week once in port). We were told 4 - 6 weeks so were banking on 6.

I think everyone should maybe work on the 8 weeks if told 6-8 weeks, then if it arrives sooner it is a bonus! :glare:

We shipped our things last year.

They packed last week of October, it went on the ship first week of November, arrived in port about 15th December, was delivered to our house end December (Christmas caused some delays with customs).

So two months, everything went smoothly no hiccups.

(We used Execu-Move)

We packed our container on the 22nd of June, where told it would arrive in Adelaide on the 6th August, after a couple of calls it has been confirmed to arrive on the 18th August......then to wait for customs.

I am so frustrated by the delay as we have already got our rental house (which I love) - but are paying for an empty property!

Let's hope it all goes through smoothly! Will keep you posted!