Foreign Investment Review Board

stevee

Is it just me or is the FIRB requirement by the Australian government make it impossible to buy a home? Unless you are a permanent resident or a citizen Foreign Investment Review Board approval is required to buy a house. An FIRB request takes 30 days and has to be property specific. The upshot is that if I were to make an offer on a house it would be subject to FIRB approval and no seller is going to choose an offer which requires a thirty day wait over an unencumbered offer. This needs to be done per house and no blanket approvals are granted. Anyone else struggling with this and is there a way around it?

Don't stress so much about it. We were also worried about it initially.

Do your FIRB request online. Ours took only 2 weeks to come through.

Is it just me or is the FIRB requirement by the Australian government make it impossible to buy a home? Unless you are a permanent resident or a citizen Foreign Investment Review Board approval is required to buy a house. An FIRB request takes 30 days and has to be property specific. The upshot is that if I were to make an offer on a house it would be subject to FIRB approval and no seller is going to choose an offer which requires a thirty day wait over an unencumbered offer. This needs to be done per house and no blanket approvals are granted. Anyone else struggling with this and is there a way around it?