Availability of employment in Adelaide

Pieter en Lindie

Hi all,

I would just like to ask something similar to that of the previous post.

My husband and I, with our 3 small children are applying for the state sponsored visa. We are also working through an agent.

My husband is a qualified Naturopath( dr of natural medicines), but for the past 5 years worked as a pharmaceutical sales manager in natural medicine. I am a qualified health and skincare therapist and are self employed, how ever, due to my small children are not in the position to work at this stage.

1. Our concern is whether my husband would be able to find work in Adelaide and if so, will the salary be enough to support a family of 5.

2. What are the prospects of a bussiness in Naturopathy in Adelaide. Do people know about treating illnesses the natural way and are they utilising hopeopathic medications.

3. We are also thinking in the lines of bringing maybe a skincare and homeopathic range into the country, but do not know yet what the Australian regularities are. In your experience, can you please tell us if you think that this could be viable.

Your input is much appreciated

Regards

Pieter and Lindie

Hi,

I'm in Sydney so can't give you much information specific to Adelaide, or having your own business. What I can tell you is that homeopathy is a lot more popular and recognised in Aus than in South Africa. The Chinese and Asian influence of natural remedies is also quite big. There are many medical doctors in Sydney who have also been educated in natural medicines. This is called Integrative Medicine (medical and natural). I see such a doctor for my natural hormone replacement. Compounding pharmacies are also popular.

Have a look at this http://www.yourhealth.com.au/index.php?pag...ecialoffers.php. Unfortunately, they don't have a centre in Adelaide.

SAS

Edited by SASydneysider

Pieter and Lindie,

I concur, there is much wider recognition in Aus for thast type of field than in SA. The same for Adelaide, personally I recon you wont have a hard time getting started. Perhaps also try and contact Ria ( )http://www.saaustralia.org/index.php?showuser=360 on this forum, she is also in the medical field and might have more detialed knowledge. Let us now how you go. I have posted a answer of rough cost of living on another thread for you.

Like Sydneysider said, Naturopathy is big in Oz and the same is true for Adelaide.

I'll chech what info i can chase up and i'll get back to you, only it may take a while. I nooticed that most people in your hubby's profession are in singe priactices or in smaller 1 - 3 person practices.

The best will be to obtain as much info as possible in order to do your homework.

Cheers,

Dax

Edited by Dax

Like Sydneysider said, Naturopathy is big in Oz and the same is true for Adelaide.

I'll chech what info i can chase up and i'll get back to you, only it may take a while. I nooticed that most people in your hubby's profession are in singe priactices or in smaller 1 - 3 person practices.

The best will be to obtain as much info as possible in order to do your homework.

Cheers,

Dax

Thank you once again for all the input. It help's so much to have people on that side to help with all the uncertanties.

Regards

Lindie

• 3 weeks later...
Thank you once again for all the input. It help's so much to have people on that side to help with all the uncertanties.

Regards

Lindie

Hi there,

We are also new in this, and are not up to date with anything yet, and like you said there is a lot of uncertainties. We also have an agent trying to find work for my husband, pref in Adelaide but if not its OK as log as we get out of this country as soon as possible. My husband is a occupational therapist, and I also have twins 18mts now, to look after, and I am currently unemployed. I always wanted to be a beauty therapist, and plan to study as soon as we get in Aust.

Is it possible to go there and find a sponsor with a holiday visa, and then get a 457 in that way? We did the point system, and passed, and the skilled ass is also not a problem.

Is there anyone who can assist us with this issue?

Thanks

Theo and Lelane

Theo and Lelane,

If you passed the points test, why not apply for a 136 skilled independent visa, then you have no restriction on where you live and who you can work for. I'm not entirely sure why you want to go for a 457?

Theo and Lelane,

If you passed the points test, why not apply for a 136 skilled independent visa, then you have no restriction on where you live and who you can work for. I'm not entirely sure why you want to go for a 457?

Hi Annette,

Thanks for replying. The reason we thought of a 457 is that it seems to be quicker than a 136? And accourding to what we read in the forum is that we may apply for PR as soon as we land in Aust with a 457 and a sponsor. It seems to take a while to get a sponsor?? We started now to apply for posts advertised in Aust to try to speed up the prosess. But surely there must be a better way? It seems that the average time to wait is 1year or more?? Thats why we were thinking of going to Aust and looking for work there. We also read in previous forum letters that there is more people in Aust that just left here and just never came back; and that accourding to what people told us is impossible to do,for you can't stay,or work without a working visa?? How did they do it, please tell us. We are more than willing to do it in this way too.

Greetings

Lelane and Theo

Hi Lelane

I think you are refering to discussions that debated the need to inform SA that you have immigrated. Some people leave SA with a visa and they dont inform SA they are leaving, and they never go back. You cannot work and stay in OZ without a proper visa.

I suggest you try for the 136. Its the best visa and you are lucky to qualify. Many benefits if you have PR. Med Aid, no schoolfees, child support etc.

But there are so many jobs for OT's!!!! You are in demand.

By the way, I have 11month old twin boys as well. Does it get better?

bg

Hi Lelane

I think you are refering to discussions that debated the need to inform SA that you have immigrated. Some people leave SA with a visa and they dont inform SA they are leaving, and they never go back. You cannot work and stay in OZ without a proper visa.

I suggest you try for the 136. Its the best visa and you are lucky to qualify. Many benefits if you have PR. Med Aid, no schoolfees, child support etc.

But there are so many jobs for OT's!!!! You are in demand.

By the way, I have 11month old twin boys as well. Does it get better?

bg

Hi there,

Ok, yes thats what we were refering to. :ilikeit: We also thought that OT's was in demand but we are still waiting from beginning Jan 2007,to hear from the agent. :blink: Why do they take that long to offer us anything??

The pr-136 visa; how do we go about to apply for that? Do we do it via the internet? B)

We read letters from members that applied,and waited 3mts for a positive reply, and then it seems for ever to finally get the visa.

I know we sound very unpatient, but thats because we are: I'm sure most of us are.

I think we must apply for the 136 and still try for the 457 at the same time - What do you think? :blink:

We just don't want to stay here with no future or safety for our children. My older son turned 14 today,and I dont see us living here much longer.

I also wanted to know about the agents? Who would be the best, quickest and of course the cheapest, to use for this type of job search?

If there is any other OT's reading this and know how we can get started, please help?

Thanks so much for your input, we appreciate it ! :o

Lelane

get another agent! If you have not paid him anything, go to someone else. I dont think you should wait for an agent to find a job, apply yourself via seek.com.au etc. Put your cv on site. there are many posts on this forum not long ago that discussed choosing an agent and which ones not to use. Use the search option onthis forum, it helps a lot.

To find out more about PR136 download booklet 6 from immi.gov.au. will give all info needed. Face it everything takes long, just read some more posts and you will realise everybody is anxious to go but these things take time and it doesnt happen overnight. Unfortunately :ilikeit: The whole process will probably take 2 years. (what do other people think?) The first thing you should do is to get your husband's skills assessed.

If it is meant to be, it will happen.

BG

Hi Annette,

Thanks for replying. The reason we thought of a 457 is that it seems to be quicker than a 136? And accourding to what we read in the forum is that we may apply for PR as soon as we land in Aust with a 457 and a sponsor. It seems to take a while to get a sponsor?? We started now to apply for posts advertised in Aust to try to speed up the prosess. But surely there must be a better way? It seems that the average time to wait is 1year or more?? Thats why we were thinking of going to Aust and looking for work there. We also read in previous forum letters that there is more people in Aust that just left here and just never came back; and that accourding to what people told us is impossible to do,for you can't stay,or work without a working visa?? How did they do it, please tell us. We are more than willing to do it in this way too.

Greetings

Lelane and Theo

Hi Lelane & Theo

There are pros and cons to both a 457 vs a 136 and you need to decide whats more important to you. Question to the forum - has anyone ever listed the pros/cons of a 457 vs 136. Will try list a few as I see them - all other forumites - please correct me If anything wrong

457 visa

Pro - Quicker and faster process times as companies who are sponsoring work to external applicants already have pre-approval from Aus govt to recruit applicants

Pro - typically you are being recruited by a compay and will arrive to a job - immediate income.

Pro - can be negotiated that the company sponsoring you pays for things like airfares, relocation costs, accomodation when you arrive (settling in), relocation agents to help you settle - not always the case - we were fortunate in that the company that sponsored me paid for alot of this stuff.

Con - You have to stay with company that sponsors you and potentially work where they send you - as negotiated in the contract of employment - if you want to leave them you need to find another company to sponsor you. For example if they contracted you to work in Adelaide they cant all of a sudden send you to Syd unless you wanted to change the contract.

Con - Being on a 457 doe snot guarantee you work and the job - company can retrench you and basically you lose your 457 status unless you find another company to sponsor you. All I am sayinjg here is make sure you join a reputable/stable company - in interview ask what retrenchments they have had.

Pro - Once you are here you can apply for your PR status and you can negotiate with your company to sponsor your PR which again can be quicker and cheaper than doing yourself, however company may expect something in return - like work for them for 2yrs befor ethey will sponsor you. There is nothing wrong with you applying yourself immediately.

Con - Could take longer to citizenship especially if you want the company to sponsor your PR - In our case it was 2yrs before company sposnored our PR and then another 2yrs until we got citizenship - this may change under current rules possibly being changed that it will be 4yrs before you can apply for citizenship

Con - Will not be eligible for public school fee reduciton or Medicare - however if your employer pays an excellent medical program as part of package then this is not an issue.

136 visa

Pro - Basically you can come into Aus and work/live wherever you want

Pro - Potentially a quicker process to citizenship - currently within 2yrs you can apply although this may change in the futre - there is a post on this forum re these possible changes

Con - You have to find work on your own - you possibly may not find work until you get here - some people have been lucky enough to do telephonic/video interviews, but many companies want to interview in person so you need to be in Aus. Can be stressful arriving here with no job and then looking for a job

Con - Can take alot longer to get this visa - applicaiton process vcan take a long time - for example on a 457 visa from start to actual arrival in Aus was only 3mnths for us.

Pro - With PR you will be entitled to Medicare and reduciton on school fees in public schools (varies from state to state

I have listed a few points of difference between 457 and 136 - the key thing is to decide what are your priorities - get over here asap, want a job immediately, want the security of school fees and Medicare etc

Based on these will help you decide your visa choice. We came on a 457 visa and the fact it took 3mnths from start to fisnish and I was coming to job was critical for us.

Hope these thoughts is of help to someone

Rgds

matman

Hi Lelane & Theo

There are pros and cons to both a 457 vs a 136 and you need to decide whats more important to you. Question to the forum - has anyone ever listed the pros/cons of a 457 vs 136. Will try list a few as I see them - all other forumites - please correct me If anything wrong

457 visa

Pro - Quicker and faster process times as companies who are sponsoring work to external applicants already have pre-approval from Aus govt to recruit applicants

Pro - typically you are being recruited by a compay and will arrive to a job - immediate income.

Pro - can be negotiated that the company sponsoring you pays for things like airfares, relocation costs, accomodation when you arrive (settling in), relocation agents to help you settle - not always the case - we were fortunate in that the company that sponsored me paid for alot of this stuff.

Con - You have to stay with company that sponsors you and potentially work where they send you - as negotiated in the contract of employment - if you want to leave them you need to find another company to sponsor you. For example if they contracted you to work in Adelaide they cant all of a sudden send you to Syd unless you wanted to change the contract.

Con - Being on a 457 doe snot guarantee you work and the job - company can retrench you and basically you lose your 457 status unless you find another company to sponsor you. All I am sayinjg here is make sure you join a reputable/stable company - in interview ask what retrenchments they have had.

Pro - Once you are here you can apply for your PR status and you can negotiate with your company to sponsor your PR which again can be quicker and cheaper than doing yourself, however company may expect something in return - like work for them for 2yrs befor ethey will sponsor you. There is nothing wrong with you applying yourself immediately.

Con - Could take longer to citizenship especially if you want the company to sponsor your PR - In our case it was 2yrs before company sposnored our PR and then another 2yrs until we got citizenship - this may change under current rules possibly being changed that it will be 4yrs before you can apply for citizenship

Con - Will not be eligible for public school fee reduciton or Medicare - however if your employer pays an excellent medical program as part of package then this is not an issue.

136 visa

Pro - Basically you can come into Aus and work/live wherever you want

Pro - Potentially a quicker process to citizenship - currently within 2yrs you can apply although this may change in the futre - there is a post on this forum re these possible changes

Con - You have to find work on your own - you possibly may not find work until you get here - some people have been lucky enough to do telephonic/video interviews, but many companies want to interview in person so you need to be in Aus. Can be stressful arriving here with no job and then looking for a job

Con - Can take alot longer to get this visa - applicaiton process vcan take a long time - for example on a 457 visa from start to actual arrival in Aus was only 3mnths for us.

Pro - With PR you will be entitled to Medicare and reduciton on school fees in public schools (varies from state to state

I have listed a few points of difference between 457 and 136 - the key thing is to decide what are your priorities - get over here asap, want a job immediately, want the security of school fees and Medicare etc

Based on these will help you decide your visa choice. We came on a 457 visa and the fact it took 3mnths from start to fisnish and I was coming to job was critical for us.

Hope these thoughts is of help to someone

Rgds

matman

Hallo matman,

Thanks for the valued input :D

Your mail was really interresting,and I think you solved the bigger headache. We also cant really afford to go without us knowing that we got a job there,and if the employer could also help us with the relocation, well that would be a blessing!

I just wondered how you did in in such a short time? Did you also use an agent, or did you apply directly with the companys? Is your profession also wanted there?

We also started to go into the website Bananagirl gave us :blink: That was really a shock to see so many available posts! Thanks so much for giving us that site, I'am positive that we would get a reponse before the agent does.

I wonder if there is anyone that could help with more career adv in Aus ?

Thanks so much to all :D

Lelane and Theo