1st day in Australia

Sharon

We landed last night at 11.30 so slept at Ascot Airport Hotel. It was very nice incase anyone is looking for somewhere convenient near the airport.

Well firstly I have to say that this forum is amazing. Heather, from the forum, drove all the way from the Gold Coast and spent the day driving us around. We managed to view 3 rentals through her contacts, sort out bank accounts and sim cards all before checking into our holiday apartment on the Gold Coast. What an incredible thing to do for someone she doesn't even really know. It was fantastic to be welcomed in such a way. She has even managed to arrange for a friend of hers to lend us the necessities like beds and kitchen things to use before our container arrives. Heather has been here a long time and she is still willing to help. Amazing.

We opened accounts on line before leaving SA. It still took us at least 45 - 60 mins to sort things out today. They were very nice but it was far more time consuming than I imagined.

The sim cards were a breeze. I first went to Vodafone. It would have cost us $35 per month to get BIS for our blackberries but they needed all sorts of documentation which we didn't have. Crazy Johns were so easy. I provided my SA drivers licence and walked out with 4 sim cards and one for our modem wifi. Cost $29 for 6 months BIS which needs to be topped up by $19 per month. For wifi modem $24 for 4 gigs. Vodafone also required an approval which would have taken a day or two and she was doubtful we would be allowed 4.

Goodnight all and thank you to all you amazing forum friends for all your help and friendship along the way.

• Like 1

I forgot to add, last night we arrived at 11.30pm on the Hong Kong flight. We declared medicines and food. We were told to go to the X-ray queue which was far shorter than the nothing to declare one. They asked us what food, which we answered a bit of chocolate from the flight and some Nescafé cuppachino sachets and they were satisfied. They didn't even query the medicine which was fair amount. They see on the form you are migrating and seem very understanding. I think we all stress too much about customs due to the "Border security" programme.

Great to see you arrived safe and sound. Look forward to more updates. Amazing to see how nice people are over there. Can't wait to experiance it myself.

• Like 1

Hope your new adventure is everything you wanted and more.

So nice to hear good stories.

Good luck.

All the best for your new life over there. We'll be following you in about 12 months or so :ilikeit: :ilikeit:

Be sure to keep us up to date with the all the settling in and job search ups and downs (hopefully not many if any at all of the latter!!!!

Glad you're safe and sound ! Enjoy the freedom ... !!!

Welcome, Sharon, ang good luck settling in!

Welcome, so glad that you are here and your new life has begun..

WOOOHOOOO, At last you have arrived!!!!!!

I know we are far away, but as you know if you ever need to chat just give us a call.!!!

I am so happy you are here at last :)

Thanks everyone for the support. Today was great catching up with old South African friends. Monday, its back to the reality of Medicare, rentals, schools, Uni's etc.

Hi Sharon. Non here!

Glad to see you arrived safely!

Using hubbies computer for now. Well we arrived the day after you (29th). My husband picked us up at the airport and took us to Brisbane Holiday village where we will be while we look at rentals. Spent yesterday looking for a car for myself and today we were invited out to Manly harbour for lunch.

I must also register for Medicare etc, etc, etc!!!!

A busy week ahead but so far so good!

Hey Non, glad you're getting organised. I just did the TFN on line for both of us tonight - took ten minutes. Tomorrow we tackle Medicare and Centrelink. I see they are in the same building so it shouldn't take too long. Then to drive around areas so see what we like.

• Like 1

Good luck!

One week then I will arrive in Melbourne - on the 10th of July, will also keep you posted

Fantastic Sharon, will definately be keeping tabs on your progress as we arrive in Brisbane in November !!

So wonderful to have someone that is going before and is able to post.

Will be making notes!

Hi Tracy,we live Pennington ,kids at SPS,we are leaving in September if all goes to plan, really looking forward to the move over,but a little unsettled at this time ,Where are your kids at school, mine are in gr 4 and 2,they are just as excited as mom and dad, our paths might have passed at some stag, even in a small dorp of scotties and pennington.Well i hope your move goes well .Cheers Chris