Dental treatment

Canary

Free government dental treatment for low income people is an ad-hoc affair, administered by whatever state you happen to be living in.

My youngest daughter is part of the system that Queensland Health have operating out of Southport Hospital, but there is a two year waiting list!

She tells them first time they come for treatment that if they don't rock up for the ongoing appointments, they go to the back of the queue, so I know how long it is.

Australians need better treatment than being seen to every two years, especially if you have poor teeth.

Over the border in New South Wales, it is another affair.

If Aussies have put into the tax system all their lives and can't get dental treatment because of government budget considerations, that rubs a bit raw with me when they can find billions of $$$ to feed, house and clothe foreigners who have never put a penny into Australia's system.

Foreigners in leaky boats getting PR once they arrive, are now arriving at almost 2 000 a month . . . 1 933 to be exact, for the month of August . . . since I last posted. Up from 1 000 a month!

A universal dental health care system for all Australians is needed now . . . not in ten years.

It's Time !

Edited by Bob
  • Like 1

Free government dental treatment for low income people is an ad-hoc affair, administered by whatever state you happen to be living in.

My youngest daughter is part of the system that Queensland Health have operating out of Southport Hospital, but there is a two year waiting list!

She tells them first time they come for treatment that if they don't rock up for the ongoing appointments, they go to the back of the queue, so I know how long it is.

Australians need better treatment than being seen to every two years, especially if you have poor teeth.

Over the border in New South Wales, it is another affair.

With respect if somebody does not bother to "rock up" for an appointment then they don't need or deserve it. Remember in a busy system that if you do not rock up then the appointment is lost forever and someone else,who could have been seen loses out. I know for a fact that if you cannot make the appointment then a simple phone call will get you another appointment within a few days.

I do understand that the system is not without problems but it seems that many of the people who qualify for this subsidised care also expect to be spoonfed. Once you are in the system you are quite well looked after. It might take 2 years to be seen but then you are in the loop and will get regular checkups. As soon as you get seen and are on a treatment plan your appointments will be made according to the required treatment and not every 2 years. The problem is that many people come in, have the pain treated and then never pitch up again for their appointments. Then a year later when the pain is back they complain that they have to wait.

It is important to remember that every government clinic has about 2 hours per day set aside for emergencies and if you have an emergency you might have to sit around for 2 hours but you will get seen.

In terms of the school system children are normally seen by a dentist roughly every 2 years. If a parent is concerned about their child's teeth they can make and appointment at the local school clinic and they will be seen within a short time. Not every school has a dental clinic but normally the bigger school in the area will have an onsite dental clinic thsat services the other schools in the area.

Having said all that the system remains underfunded in rural areas and dental care as part of the Medicare scheme would be a big improvement.

Edited by Mikej
  • Like 1

The thing with health insurance in Australia is that the Commonwealth gov't subsidises premiums at the rate of 30%, so you only pay 70% of the premium.

Taking out dental insurance, along with all the other extras in life, such as optical, chiropractic and so on doesn't have to cost an arm and a leg.

Medibank Private used to do a deal with certain dentists that if you went to them, you didn't pay any extra gap payment when you walked out. That was a few years ago, so just check around and see if Medibank Private or BUPA (the old MBF) do coverage like that.

Remember . . . . . you either pay 70% of the health insurance premium or 100% of the dentist's bill!!!

Remember the subsidisation is now means tested, so if you earn more than $160k per annum no more subsidisation.

Root canals are around $1200-$1500 per tooth..... Simple filling around $300.. It's not cheap!!! We have a hospital and extras cover, mid range, and we only get $600 per person per year and that doesn't get you far when u need a few things done

Just as a matter of interest, I paid R 2800 for a clean, checkup and minor filling yesterday. It's not that much cheaper in RSA.

Edit... I think that it's probably MUCH cheaper for stuff like braces and crowns and implants though!

Edited by Donovan83

I need 6 crowns done (years of fillings and breakages have resulted in very little tooth left - if the tooth part breaks again I have to get implants, therefore my dentist has recommended crowns).

Anyways, I have received two quotes here - almost $10 000.00

In SA, I can have the same work done for $3 000.00