Bridging Visa A

Hello Everyone,

I am currently in Australia and have lodged my application for an Australian Sponsored Overseas Student visa (Subclass 881).

I have been granted a bridging visa A and been told that there are no work or study conditions attached to it, which means that I have unlimited work and study rights (in an automatic email notification).

However, in other information I found about Bridging Visa A's it said that they generally have the same conditions as the previous substantive visa.

As my previous visa had the condition "no work"- I am wondering if I should rely on the automated email information or the other info from the DIMA website?

Also, if I can work, does anyone has any info on whether I would be classified as a non-resident or resident for tax purposes? I was told that international students are often classified as residents?

Any help would be great!!

Thanks

Casey

Hi Casey,

I can see how this would appear to be a contradiction, however in your case because you are applying for a Class DE (Skilled-Australian Sponsored Overseas Student (Residence)) visa, your corresponding Bridging A visa is granted without any work condition, irrespective of any work condition attached to the substantive visa held at the time of application. Therefore- you should rely on the information you received from DIAC by email.

Regarding whether you are considered a resident for taxation purposes, I would suggest you contact the ATO (www.ato.gov.au) for information on this matter.

Kind regards,

Fiona Carre

Registered Migration Agent

Gold Coast, Australia

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Fiona,

I've been anxiously waiting until today (because my student visa expires today) so I could check my status on the online entitlement thing.

But it says:

Visa conditions The visa holder cannot work in Australia.

From what I can gather, I think I can apply for a new bridging visa with work permission if i can show financial hardship?

Does anyone know how this is possible and how it might affect my permanant residence application?

Thanks

Casey

Hi Casey,

You would need to double check your Bridging visa status. If you would like some more specific professional advice, feel free to contact me at carres[at]optusnet[dot]com[dot]au.

Regards,

Fiona

Guest Bronwyn

Here is a link to the page from the Australian tax Office. You can determine whether or not you want to be classed as a resident for tax purposes after reading through it.

www.ato.gov.au/individuals/pathway.asp?pc=001/002/012&mfp=001&mnu=29565#001_002_012

:D