Gold Coast Private Colleges

DanielleS

My husband and I will be travelling to Gold Coast in July 2012 to decide on a school for our 12 and 14 year old children. We are plaaning to relocate in December 2012 from Irene Pta

Could anyone suggest Private Christian Colleges in Gold Coast and a good area to live in?

Regards,

Danielle

• Like 1

Guest Eager2go

Hi Danielle

We will also be flying out in December. But landing a little more north in Brisbane. Not sure how old your children are, but:

Emmanuel is rated as being one of the top 3 or so schools on the Gold Coast. You may also want to check out

All Saints Anglican College www.asas.qld.edu.au

Somerset College www.somerset.qld.edu.au

A.B.Paterson College www.abpat.qld.edu.au

TSS (Boys monastic) www.tss.qld.edu.au

All the best with closing up shop

My husband and I will be travelling to Gold Coast in July 2012 to decide on a school for our 12 and 14 year old children. We are plaaning to relocate in December 2012 from Irene Pta

Could anyone suggest Private Christian Colleges in Gold Coast and a good area to live in?

Regards,

Danielle

Hi Danielle I tried to PM you but I downloaded a new app for the forum & now I can't see how. If you have space in your container for a box or 2 from PTA to Bne please let me know? We need to bring some small stuff like textbooks & toys ;-)' Also, if you need help in Bne give me a shout, and enjoy the ride of your lives!

Many thanks, Bronwyn

• Like 1

Hi

We live in Coomera on the Gold Coast, almost 3 years now, our daughter attends a state school here, which is a great school (Coomera Rivers State School).

Since your kids are 12 & 14, the high schools are a different story, the private schools in the area are Coomera Anglican College and St Stephen's College, there are many South African children at these two schools.

The reason Coomera/Ormeau is convenient for us is that it's only 40 min drive to the Brisbane CBD or 1 hour by train, of which I use the latter 4 times a week, yet weekends we are 15-20 min to the beach!

Here is a list of a few more private schools on the Gold Coast with their suburbs (I work in Education, so found this list for you):

Saint Stephen's College, Coomera

Coomera Anglican College, Coomera

Emmanuel College, Carrara

A B Paterson College, Arundel

Trinity Lutheran College, Ashmore

Somerset College, Mudgeeraba

The Southport School, Southport

St Hilda's School, Southport

Rivermount College, Yatala

Livingstone Christian College, Ormeau

Lutheran Ormeau Rivers District School, Ormeau

Silkwood School, Mount Nathan

Hope this helps

Rishka

Thank you all for your input, it really helps a lot!

I have set up interviews with the schools listed and will be visiting them all in June during our visit. It seems as if most of the schools have vacancies for my daughter in Gr. 10 but my son in Gr. 8 is a different story as it is an intake year.... :-(

I have heard good things about the Coomera area, and will be visiting the Coomera Waters estate. Just a question, will it be possible to negotiate a rental now in June for Dec, or does it work te same as in SA where you only need to give a months notice for rentals?

Thank you all again for your assistance!

Regards,

Danielle

We looked at St Stephens College on the Gold Coast which we liked. We have chosen John Paul College for our Gr 10 child but its South of Brisbane. They have been fantastic.

Hi Sharon,

Glad you are sorted with a school :grads:

Will google your school too, is your child jumping a year?

No, he is the correct age so will just slot into Gr 10. We visited them in 2008 and since then they have kept in contact with us, sending emails and newsletters by mail. They seem amazing. Will let you know if I still feel that way when he starts on 16 July,.

I am sure all will be fine! Best of luck for your future in Oz!

We live in Robina and our kids both attend Varsity College (although my daughter has now finished and is in uni). it's a state school.

Would strongly suggest you look at state schools before you decide, they are so good and most people who come out here with privatemschools in mind are more than happy with state schools.

My son has ADHD and Varsity has been fantastic.

• 2 weeks later...

I myself went to Rivermount College in Yatala. A very nice school

We are also looking at Varsity lakes primary for our two girls 10+7, but are not sure if we have miised the boat about getting them into the school as we have been so let down with selling the business and house that we are not 100% sure on our arrival dates and were wondering if we could just arrive and get an interview,then enlist them.Does anyone now the procedure of getting into a school.

• 3 weeks later...

We are also looking at Varsity lakes primary for our two girls 10+7, but are not sure if we have miised the boat about getting them into the school as we have been so let down with selling the business and house that we are not 100% sure on our arrival dates and were wondering if we could just arrive and get an interview,then enlist them.Does anyone now the procedure of getting into a school.

Cfris - to get into Varsity College, you have to reside within a certain area - so you need to make sure you have an address in that area before you apply for the school - they are quite strict with the zoning for Varsity College.

Danielle

Did you also try Kings Christian college or Hillcrest Christian academy, very strong christian schools. My choices would be

1. All Saints (if you can get in but a 5 year waiting list unless you are lucky)

2. Emmanuel college or St Stephens College

Then the balance - Kings, A B Patterson or any of those

Unless your kids are absolute academics - I would not choose Somerset - beautiful school, beautiful grounds, did not have a good year at this school with a non academic child in year 11 - had better treatment from a State School after we moved him to a state school for year 12

which schools did you come and see and what did you decide?

Let us know when you are coming here as we have an amazing support group for you :) as we have an awesome group of us on the GC :)