Feel so hollow inside

Sharon

Saying the final goodbyes to family and special friends has got to be the worst thing to do. I feel totally drained and depressed tonight knowing I am leaving all these special people behind. Tomorrow we fly early so we are catching a shuttle to the airport. I hope not having friends present will be easier.

• Like 2

Thoughts r with you, must be so difficult. We will be in the same boat in 2 months time.

Hang in there.

Keglin

Sha - much easier if family & friends are not at the airport. Less tears! Stay strong....think of what lies ahead in your new life! xx

• Like 2

Hey Sharon

Much better if there's no-one at the airport. This is the tough part - saying goodbye. Try get some sleep and when you get on the plane in the morning, try remember what an adventure you're about to embark on. Once I got my kids on the plane, I suddenly felt relieved!

You're almost there. Hang in there. It is worth it!

Its difficult, but on the other hand its about dam time you got over here. Have a safe flight

• Like 2

Hi Sharon,

Trust you will have a great flight and time in Asia before hitting the soils of Oz, I do however agree with Cramer it is time you got here!!!

But on a serious note, :hug: :hug: :hug: lots of hugs to you and your family, this is not an easy time, just a pity you are not coming to Canberra we would all give you BIG hugs.

T

Thanks everyone. T I feel like half the people I know are in Canberra! Chat to you all on the other side.

Its crazy-emotions leaving SA and arriving in Aus. From the low of saying goodbye, you are going to swing up to an amazing high of excitement and expectation as the plane takes off!

Hope you have a good flight through!

Good luck and have a great flight. ((((HUGS)))) to you guys. We will be facing this is just over 5 months.

Blessings to you all

That is one thing I am not looking forward to. As it is my mother is having a hard time getting use to the idea of us moving. She has already said she hopes things dont work out.

I can't wait for us to get our visa but when we have to tell everyone. Mhmm, dont want to...

• Like 1

Hi Sharon

We are right behind you (leave on the 28th)! Feel for you. I would rather say all the goodbyes at home rather than at the airport. Only immediate family at the airport....heart wrenching stuff! Hopefully all will run as smoothly in Oz as it did here. All the very best!

On the other hand, it does not feel so great at all when your family is not behind your decision to move and are in denial - resulting in a no show by family at the airport.

@cmh - I really hope family were not like that with you!

Well, an update. Friends did arrive at the airport, mostly the kids friends so it wasn't too bad. I would have hated my close friends and family to have come. I was emotional enough. It helped that our friends we always travel with, joined us for the trip. We are currently in Tokyo which is wonderful. We fly to Brisbane on 28th, when reality will hit!.

Cmh, I really feel for you. Hope they will come around with time.

• Like 1

That feeling the week you leave is the worst feeling ever!! I didn't know wether to feel, happy, sad, excited, scared??? Glad you are on your way Sharon and I'm sure you will settle in well, but for now enjoy your journey :)

With just abt 7 weeks to go before we fly, I am more busy than emotional. However I don't want to go to the airport alone without anyone seeing us off. I know it will be tearful and emotional but we will have no one on the other side to welcome us, so I figured it will be good to have all and sundry to see us off.

We chose to have no one see us off at the airport, I was already crying the day before so it would have made it sooo much worse for us

Sorry I missed a lot on the forum the past few weeks so I dont know where you're off to but if you're on your way to Sydney we'll gladly be the welcoming comittee. I know its Difficult but I'm very glad we didnt have family at the airport. For me the flight was the start of the journey and I didnt want to start it off with a lot of crying and family standing at gate as we "leave them behind".

Its a very personal decision so good luck! And let me know if you want us to meet you at airport. We'll only be a lighter shade of green so you'll see us a mile away and you wont feel completely lost ;)

A

• Like 6

Yip, no one came to the airport for us. I know that we're currently on a 457 but our long term plan includes becoming citizens of Aus and if at all possible, not having to return to South Africa.

I guess that even though I'm not really attached to the family that's staying behind (my in-laws) it's important to say goodbye.

IMHO it's a very bad idea to have family at the airport. Not to mention the emotional aspect, putting everyone through the trauma, upsetting the kids with all the crying, it's also stressful as there is no space to stand around, there are millions of people climbing around you and your 14 suitcases & 20 family members...no way! Rather have a nice meal the day before and say your goodbyes at the front door, then do a jump out at the airport drive-through!

I hope my family comes to the airport.

I know it will be difficult but it is something we have always done.

• Like 1

Turning 30 this year, so I am planning to invite the entire family for a weekend get-together when we will sadly break the news of our plans.

It will go something like this: "You are welcome to visit any time..."

When we do make that one way trip, I do want my Mom and Dad there. If I could, I'd fit them in my suitcase.

• Like 1