Schools in Melbourne (budget)

ChrisV

Hi All

I did a search on the web but can't find any good info on schools in Melbourne.

Can you please give me some links for private and public schools (primary)?

As I'm busy with my budget :ilikeit: and need to have an idea of what I will spend each month. (Visa 457)

I'm know I have to choose school in my area if I use public schools. (I don't have a suburb in mind yet as I don't know Melbourne at all but was thinking of MelB North/East)

And if you could also give me an idea of how much to buget on power ? (2 Adults and 3 kids) :)

Thanks in advance.

• 2 weeks later...

Chris

Through the members section send a personal e-mail to Van.

I dont think she has much opportunity to look at the website but she is so clued up on Melbourne and she has school going children, that this might be worth a try.

Hi Chris,

Maybe you should also PM Mara, who is also staying in Melbourne!

Pippa

Thanks Queensland Girl, I sent ChrisV an e-mail about this.

Yes I recieved the e-mail and THANKS very much for the e-mail.

Edited by ChrisV

Chris!

With a 457 visa, I believe you have to pay for your children's education at a public school, as you are only on a temporary visa.

Private schools may actually work out cheaper in the long run.

The churches in Australia basically run the private schools:

Anglican (Church of England)

Lutheran

Catholic

Independent christian schools (Christian Parent-controlled schools)

Look on the google webiste for the respective churches and the education section of each, scrolling thro' until you get to the State in Australia you will live in (i.e. Victoria) and find a school near where you intend to dwell.

Chris!

With a 457 visa, I believe you have to pay for your children's education at a public school, as you are only on a temporary visa.

Private schools may actually work out cheaper in the long run.

The churches in Australia basically run the private schools:

Anglican (Church of England)

Lutheran

Catholic

Independent christian schools (Christian Parent-controlled schools)

Look on the google webiste for the respective churches and the education section of each, scrolling thro' until you get to the State in Australia you will live in (i.e. Victoria) and find a school near where you intend to dwell.

Bob,

My friend on a 457 visa in Vic didn't have to pay for her children's schooling at a public school. I think it depends on the state and also the school. Don't know why, but this seems to be the case.

My understanding is that the 457 visa is itself split between temporary and permanent. The permanent 457 visa holders would be able to access all the grants and public facilities like any other permanent resident, so wouldn't have to pay for public schooling, whereas the temporary 457 visa holders would.

Anyone care to correct me on this one and shed some light on 457 visas??

My understanding is that the 457 visa is itself split between temporary and permanent. The permanent 457 visa holders would be able to access all the grants and public facilities like any other permanent resident, so wouldn't have to pay for public schooling, whereas the temporary 457 visa holders would.

Anyone care to correct me on this one and shed some light on 457 visas??

Yes, please, can anyone shed some light on this?