Interview

Ryan EL/SA

Can any one give me some pointers with regards to a telephone interview with a possible employer in Australia, Queensland. As of yet the agent has not told me who the employer is or what their line of business is so I feel a little in the dark.

Any pointers will be much appreciated. :ilikeit:

Firsty Congrats... :ilikeit:

Pointers.

One would be to try and find out who the company is, then read up on them, what they do and what technologies ect they use.

The biggest tip you can make notes, if you are not going to be distracted make some notes. That helps you to ask relevant questions. If you can find out about the company then you can write down some questions to ask them.

Good luck, relax and let the phone ring at least once :D

Hi RyanSA,

I often conduct interviews telephonically, and they can be a bit stilted, but if you just try to behave as you would in any interview situation, you should get into the flow of it pretty quickly. I assume that the meeting is with a recruiter. Often, they prefer not to disclose who the client it, but perhaps if you push them on it becuase there would be an international relocation involved, they may relent.

There are really no special tricks - just be on the ball and don't allow your mind to wonder (which is easy!)

Good luck

Ajay

Hi RyanSA,

I often conduct interviews telephonically, and they can be a bit stilted, but if you just try to behave as you would in any interview situation, you should get into the flow of it pretty quickly. I assume that the meeting is with a recruiter. Often, they prefer not to disclose who the client it, but perhaps if you push them on it becuase there would be an international relocation involved, they may relent.

There are really no special tricks - just be on the ball and don't allow your mind to wonder (which is easy!)

Good luck

Ajay

Hi Ajay,

Do agents or potential employers ever do interviews via skype video call? I would think it would be more personal than a telephone call as you can then put a face to the voice.

Ciao

J

Some of the bigger agencies use professional VC facilties, but it's the exception. Skype, MSN and other free video call programmes don't allow a fast enoigh refresh rate, so the quality is pretty low and can be very distracting because of the delays between speech and video.

Ciao

Ajay

Hi Ajay,

Do agents or potential employers ever do interviews via skype video call? I would think it would be more personal than a telephone call as you can then put a face to the voice.

Ciao

J

Thank you everyone for the support, you know how interviews are---------------a little stressfull. :thumbdown:

Well looks like I will have to wait for the interview on Monday to find out more about the client.

Hold thumbs that all goes well. :ilikeit:

Will let you all know what happens.

Edited by Ryan EL/SA

Hey Buddy, I'm from East London too. I think that makes..........2 of us :ph34r: I did an Interview over skype from the UK and it was good. Felt like i was there, just a bit colder. Good luck anyway.

Whereabouts did you live?

Mitch

Hi there Mitch, great to hear from someone from our home town. :lol: I live in Amalinda and work for the now Buffalo City Municipality. Where did you stay?

To everyone else, the interview went very well....... :D ,took just on an hour. It was with the agent. We, (my wife and I), have given the agent the go ahead to complete our application but now starts the long 2 week wait to see if I recieve a job proposal.

The Offer is in Toowoomba..... ;) , what a beautiful city.

Well cross your fingers and what ever else you can, lets see if I will be packing in 2 weeks.

Hey Buddy, we lived in Gonubie (my wife and I). We now live in the UK. Been here for 3 years now. What do you do? How old are you? Good luck with the job.

Mitch

Hey Mitch, I will be 33 years old in june this year. I am a Meter and HV testing technician on the municipality.

I have 2 lovely daughters. Any children of your own?

Are you also planning to immigrate to Oz? What is your choice of career?

If you go to Oz. where are you thinking of residing? Maybe we will meet. :ilikeit:

I recieved another job offer today in Bunbury, West Australia with a considerably higher salary. I am just waiting to have the interview.

Ryan

Hey Ryan, I'm 24, married, no kids. I went to Port Rex We plan on moving to Perth. I am a Diesel Mechanic, got 2 offers in oz, just waiting now to tie things up with one of the companies and then start the visa process. Hopefully we will go in July/August? Cant wait, getting a bit tired of the UK.

Mitch

Hello RyanSA

:) Good luck for the interview on Monday. Telephone interviews are always daunting (I guess, just because it's the unknown).

I believe, the agent (big or small) should offer you information about the client. Just so you can prepare yourself as best possible. Next time insist on it……. :D

We use Skype for interviews and it works well – I agree with Ajay, but that’s if one of the parties have a bad or slow internet connection.

If I can suggest, make sure you listen to the question and answer it as directly and clearly as possible. Try to relax - I know it can be hard but it is so important that your personality comes through, it is as ‘strange’ for the client interviewing you. They want to get the best out of the telephone interview just as much as you do.

Anyway – all the best ! Let us know how it went? :ilikeit:

Shandell