Police Clearance Validity

Sheila2oz

Hi all

I would just like to know, how long is the police clearance valid for. Some people say 'n year others say 6 months. :D Please advice.

Regards

Sheila2Oz

Hi Sheila

The PCC is valid for one year, G72 found this for me, hope it helps

Period of validity of checks

2.5.1 Character clearances in relation to current residence - both those submitted by applicants and those obtained by processing offices - are deemed valid for 12 months from the date of issue as a matter of policy. Nevertheless, if an officer has good reason to believe that a penal clearance on current residence completed within the last 12 months should be updated, the officer may require the applicant to submit, or themselves initiate, as appropriate, a fresh clearance.

2.5.2 Generally, if an application is not finalised within the deemed 12 months validity period of any penal clearance, the applicant/s should, as a matter of policy, undergo that check again unless circumstances dictate otherwise.

2.5.3 If an officer has good reason to believe that a penal clearance that is greater than 12 months old does not require updating due to the circumstances of that particular case, the current clearance may be allowed to stand. Care should be taken to ensure that the circumstances of the case warrant such flexibility.

2.5.4 The time allowed on a visa for initial entry to Australia is tied to the 12 month validity of the character checks. This 12 month period is set under policy and is not a requirement under the regulations. This period by which the visa holder must make initial entry into Australia is a condition attached to the grant of the visa, not a criterion for grant, and must not be confused with the period of validity of the visa; see s 68 of the Act.

Cheers, C'lou

Yes valid for 12 months, however at the time of application lodgement you can submit a clearance cert older than 12 months ( not sure how much older though ) provided you havent been back to SA at all, not for even 1 day. That from my case officers mouth recently as my wifes had expired while I sorted by little blemish out on my clearance.

Hi Marius. We lodged our 136 Application in September 2006. I contacted our immigration company in Jo'burg to ask her if she should not in the meantime apply for the police clearance. I was told her tht it is too soon as the police clearance is only valid in SA for six monts and in Oz for 12 months. Is this correct do you know ?

Hi Mandy,

It is certainly valid for 12 months here, i am not sure about in SA. TGhey do however make exceptions as mentioned above, BUT only if you are here already and have not been back even for a day in the time since the clearance was issued. I dont know the agents motivation, I never used one, but ask him or her the reason. Possibly because the 136 takes a while to finalise i think.

Let us know how you go and best of luck

Hi all

I would just like to know, how long is the police clearance valid for. Some people say 'n year others say 6 months. :blush: Please advice.

Regards

Sheila2Oz

Our case officer told me we should get new ones because I front loaded them application. She said they are valid for 1 year from the date. Remeber you will have to validate your visa within one year of the date if applying from outside Australia.

We would have had 1 month to get here, so i got new ones.