What is the job situation like in Adelaide?

celeste

Hi,

I'm new to the forum and have just learned that in order to ensure a successful visa application i either have to invest $100 000 with the Aus government or apply for a different visa - provisional visa which will mean we will have to live in South Australia for two years before being able to join my sister on the Gold Coast. What a pity!

But one concern is that jobs don't seem to be in that great abundance in Adelaide especially in our fields - i'm a print journalist and my husband's a graphic designer. Can anyone inform whether there are any/many newspaper or magazine publishers in this town and whether there are many advertising agencies?

Also, we would ultimately be prepared to do anything to get on our feet - are arbitrary jobs as easy to come by in Adelaide as they are elswhere in oz such as brisbance? ie. working as store assistances, bank clerks etc. etc. My sister who lived in the UK for several years says jobs are in abundant supply on the Gold Coast as much as they are in the UK.

I seem to have read somewhere that jobs are more scarce in Adelaide than elsewhere and this seems true when I visit the website seek.com.au esp in our professions. Also it's worrying to hear that many young people leave this town/city as this could indicate (may be wrong tho) that they are leaving for better job prospects elswhere.

Please help anyone as the idea of going to Adelaide has put some doubts in our minds about what to do next ie. sell our house to raise the $100 000 and go with the other visa which would allow us to stay anywhere immediately. However, I'm not sure whether we'd have to sell up at the start of the application or towards the end. I suppose that's a question for the immigration consultants.

Anyway thanks to anyone who can help - it would be much appreciate esp on the job situation down there as we want to start moving with the process but need to make sure we do the right thing

Your profession-types makes it a bit difficult to give a straight answer - I have no idea what th esituation with such jobs are here in Adelaide.

Check how transferable your quallifications/experience may be, e.g. your training as a Journalist, does it entail a degree you can use to teach literacy or communication skills at a high school?

Under some conditions the South Oz Teachers Registration Board may register you provisionally as a teacher.

You may also have to look at alternative jobs, such as old age care, cleaning etc. which may be way out of your league, but it could turn a Dollar while you bide your time to go to the East.

The sooner you start to earn Oz Dollars the better, as you are going to need your money you bring over from RSA for more important things, e.g. a deposit on a house or making a kick-start with your pension-retirement provisions (superannuation).

Cheers,

Dax

Edited by Dax

Lyse,

Adelaide is really a relatively small place when it comes to cities, which is why it takes a bit longer to find a job here. There are small publishing companies and a newspaper company here and one or two advertising agencies. I would think it's probably not the No. 1 spot for journalism, but having said that, there was an article in the Australian last week about how some big millionaire businessman thought that Adelaide was the next big boomtown. There are plenty of jobs around if you are prepared to do anything. Old age care is particularly good in terms of jobs, but you will have to do a short course to get some sort of certificate for most things. Supermarket and fast food jobs and similar are hard to come by if you are older than 21, because then companies have to pay you too much. They prefer to employ teenagers, who they can employ for next to nothing :ilikeit:

One thing you should be aware of is that if you do come to SA on an SIR (495) provisional visa, you will have to stay here for 4 years, not 2. That's because the permanent stage of the visa will be an STNI visa (State and Territory Nominated Independent), whereby the State sponsors you for a permanent visa only if you commit to settling in the state and can show significant ties with the local community. The expectation is that you will stay in the state for at least 2 years after the visa has been granted.

Good luck.

Hi Lyse :ilikeit:

I saw your introduction in the foyer, and because you have family already living in Oz, it may perhaps be a good idea to have a look at the Skilled Australian-sponsored visa (subclass 138) as a possible alternative PR visa option.

Your sister or one of your cousins (must have PR or must be an Oz citizen) may sponsor (nominate) you on this visa, should you score at least 110 points. Have a look at Booklet 6 (General Skilled Migration) (pages 22-35) to do the points test. From what I can see, you and your husband will easily meet this requirement should you guys have tertiary qualifications.

You can claim 5 extra points because your husband's occupation (graphic designer) is on the Sydney and Selected Areas Skilled Shortage List (SSASSL), according to the Skilled Occupation List (SOL), which I've attached below (pdf file). (Your sponsor can live anywhere in Oz concerning this visa, though.)

In addition to having a family member sponsor you, you will need an assurer of support. Have a look at Assurance of Support. As far as I recall, an assurer of support must be an Oz citizen/permanent resident who has already worked and lived in Oz for two years. Your sponsor can also be your assurer of support, but it can also be someone else who meet the necessary requirements. An assurer of support is expected to meet certain specific criteria. For more info about that, have a look at Centrelink's web page (Assurance of Support)

Maybe research the possibility...you never know - it may or may not be a viable alternative option for you.

Good luck! :blink:

SOL.pdf

Edited by kangaroo

Hi guys

Thank you both so much for taking the time to advise me. It really is helpful - thanks for your honesty Dax about adelaide cos reading some other posts makes it sound quite big.

The 138 Visa is the other we had been considering along with the 496. The only problem with the 138 is that we would have to sell our house in twelve months (or maybe even sooner) just before the visa application is lodged/approved or whatever. This would be to raise the 100 000$. Of course we do get that back with interest after a year but it would mean that we'd have to buy or rent a flat to stay in here in SA until we make the big move. We had been hoping to take our time about when we would leave but just make sure we had the visa in hand...and I turn 35 in October so it's now or never. We have to apply.

The problem with the 138 is that my national diploma is not a "higher national diploma" and they give me less points for it as it's not recognised as a degree. I fall five points short of the 110 but with the investment of 100 000$ I would make it. My husband does not have the full three year course behind him altho he's been in the industry for the past 13 years so no points there. thanks for the tip tho.

I just learned from the immigration consultant today (a very efficient Aus based company Hitchcock and Associates) that Melborne is also considered regional and as we have relatives there who can sponsor us we could head for there on the 496. Thanks for the tips about the extra two years!! Thats a bit of a surprise, I'll have to check that back with the agents.

With all due respect, Adelaide does not sound like a good idea for us especially if work prospects are not that great...errr don't fancy caring for old folk as I have a couple of friends who have done that in the Uk and here in SA and it is quite a thankless task. Would rather look after kids thank you! But I know we can't be too picky. It's really tough feeling that I have to leave SA...it's not something that either of us really want to do but are concerned we may regret staying in years to come when it's too late, if things get worse here.

Do you know of anyone else that has gone over on the 496 visa? I need to go and pray about this tonight and get some direction on what the right thing is to do.

Anyway, thanks a ton - I can't believe how friendly and helpful everyone on this site is.

ta,

Lyse

Dear Lyse,

I just learned from the immigration consultant today (a very efficient Aus based company Hitchcock and Associates) that Melborne is also considered regional

I would just research the "very efficient" Hitchcock and Associates' advice as Regional Australia/Low Population Growth Metropolitan Areas does not include Melbourne metropolitan area :ilikeit: .

Good luck with your decision :blink: !

Lovies, Pippa! x

Sydney and Melbourne are two places that the Australian gov't DOESN'T need to promote.

Over the past 25 years, Sydney has absorbed 45% of all Australia's migrants, with Melbourne taking another 30% of all migrants.

That leaves the rest of Australia . . . and there is only 7 000 000 square kms of that! . . . . with a paltry 25%, or 1 in 4 migrants over the past years.

I'd check Hitchcock's stats without delay.

I just learned from the immigration consultant today (a very efficient Aus based company Hitchcock and Associates) that Melborne is also considered regional

I also worked through Hitchcocks and found them indeed to be "very efficient" and on the ball with all things emigration related. However I don't believe Melbourne is "regional" - maybe some areas AROUND Melbourne, but not the metropolitan area.

I have followed up with Hitchcocks and will let you know what they say...

Hmmm

Thanks so much guys...I must say I did have this nagging doubt about melbourne beign regional cos I checked out a govt site which excludes melbourne. I asked the consultant several times and she seemed sure...but yes I am still concerned about going this route and being declined and then not being able to apply for the 138 cos I'd be too old. They said another applicant was using a Melborne sponsor for the 496 so I don't know!!!

Please let me know what you find out on your side and I shall call them immediately as well.

It's good to hear a good report about the agents from someone else. Neil Hitchcock also seemed a really geniune guy and served to confirm our decision - that we are doing the right thing in leaving.

cheers

Lyse

Sydney and Melbourne are two places that the Australian gov't DOESN'T need to promote.

Over the past 25 years, Sydney has absorbed 45% of all Australia's migrants, with Melbourne taking another 30% of all migrants.

That leaves the rest of Australia . . . and there is only 7 000 000 square kms of that! . . . . with a paltry 25%, or 1 in 4 migrants over the past years.

I'd check Hitchcock's stats without delay.

Hitchcock's say there appears to be some confusion between Regional Areas and Designated Areas:

REGIONAL AREAS - SKILLED INDEPENDENT REGIONAL - SIR

This covers 'regional Australia' or 'low population growth metropolitan areas'.

Applicants who cannot make the passmark for the Skilled Independent category - 136 and do not have a relative in Australia who can sponsor them under the Skilled Australian Sponsored category - 138, can apply for sponsorship from a Regional Area for the Skilled Independent.

Regional (Provisional)- SIR visa - 495. Some Regional Areas has their own 'Skills Lists' and will only sponsor certain occupations, South Australia will look at all occupations for sponsorship.

To convert to Permanent Residence from this 495 you must live in one or more of these areas for two years and have worked in the area for 12 months.

Victoria is included in the 'Regional' areas but not the Melbourne metropolitan area.

SKILLED - DESIGNATED AREA SPONSORED

This category is for people who have skills and a relative living in a Designated Area. To convert from the Provisional visa - 496 to the Permanent Residence visa - 883, you must have lived in a Designated Area for at least 2 years and worked full time for at least 12 months during this period.

Anywhere in Victoria is included in the 'Designated' area list.

Edited by Springbok

Thanks Springbok. :blink:

I know the area in question here was Melbourne (Victoria), but thought I'd list the designated areas and regional areas for the whole of Australia here too:

Designated Areas of Australia These areas are applicable to the Skilled - Designated Area Sponsored (Provisional) visa (Subclass 496), which is a temporary (provisional) visa, as well as its subsequent PR (residence) visa, the Skilled Designated Area Sponsored (Residence) visa (Subclass 883)

The Regional Australia/Low Population Growth Metropolitan Areas are applicable to the Skilled – Independent Regional (Provisional) visa (Subclass 495) , which is a temporary visa, and its subsequent PR visa options - there are three possible PR visa options that follow directly from the SIR visa.

The Skilled - Australian Sponsored visa (Subclass 138) is a PR visa and neither regional areas nor designated areas are relevant to this visa.

Hi Kangaroo and Springbok

Thanks for all your legwork. Yes, i established the same from Hitchcock this am and due to the nature of the 496 (they insist we can go anywhere in victoria inlc melborne) it would mean we'd have to pack up and move to aus sometime next year (it's a three year visa) when and if the visa is approved. So will spend this weekend discussing with hubby on whether we should rather go the 138 route....and sell our precious home in 12 months. At least that gives PR immediately and also if we don't get approved on that Visa which works on points as you know we could still then try for the 496 as no point system is used for this. The converse would not be possible because I'd be 35 by then and would lose the five points that bring me to 110.

I guess by explaining the above it's pretty obvious what we should be doing.

This is so scary...

I still am quite taken aback at the helpfulness and friendliness of everyone on this forum - is it because there is a "hidden agenda" (joking:) ) to lure us to AUS by any chance? The consultants say they are very, very busy at the moment so it goes to show how many are departing.

Speak later

Lyse

Hitchcock's say there appears to be some confusion between Regional Areas and Designated Areas:

REGIONAL AREAS - SKILLED INDEPENDENT REGIONAL - SIR

This covers 'regional Australia' or 'low population growth metropolitan areas'.

Applicants who cannot make the passmark for the Skilled Independent category - 136 and do not have a relative in Australia who can sponsor them under the Skilled Australian Sponsored category - 138, can apply for sponsorship from a Regional Area for the Skilled Independent.

Regional (Provisional)- SIR visa - 495. Some Regional Areas has their own 'Skills Lists' and will only sponsor certain occupations, South Australia will look at all occupations for sponsorship.

To convert to Permanent Residence from this 495 you must live in one or more of these areas for two years and have worked in the area for 12 months.

Victoria is included in the 'Regional' areas but not the Melbourne metropolitan area.

SKILLED - DESIGNATED AREA SPONSORED

This category is for people who have skills and a relative living in a Designated Area. To convert from the Provisional visa - 496 to the Permanent Residence visa - 883, you must have lived in a Designated Area for at least 2 years and worked full time for at least 12 months during this period.

Anywhere in Victoria is included in the 'Designated' area list.

• 4 months later...

Your profession-types makes it a bit difficult to give a straight answer - I have no idea what th esituation with such jobs are here in Adelaide.

Check how transferable your quallifications/experience may be, e.g. your training as a Journalist, does it entail a degree you can use to teach literacy or communication skills at a high school?

Under some conditions the South Oz Teachers Registration Board may register you provisionally as a teacher.

You may also have to look at alternative jobs, such as old age care, cleaning etc. which may be way out of your league, but it could turn a Dollar while you bide your time to go to the East.

The sooner you start to earn Oz Dollars the better, as you are going to need your money you bring over from RSA for more important things, e.g. a deposit on a house or making a kick-start with your pension-retirement provisions (superannuation).

Cheers,

Dax

Hi Dax

Hope I'm posting this correctly - I'm new to the forum. My husband (Karl) and I will be landing in Adelaide hopefully in a couple of months. I was wondering, as a qualified teacher, but with only two years' experience in teaching (way back in 93 and 94), what my chances would be of getting some kind of teaching job. (I have been in advertising ever since - 95 'till now). Even if it's not a proper teaching post, but perhaps an assistant or something similar?

The reason for this move would simply be for the kids - I would prefer the hours/school holidays for obvious reasons. We will be coming on a temp visa, with myself as the main applicant. I would therefore have to have a permanent position for 30 hours a week (i.e 6 hours a day).

What are the possibilities, if any?

Thanks a stax

Nanette

Here you go Nanette,

Most of your question are covered in the thread of which I posted a link underneath.

It is unlikely that you will be able to obain a permanent or contract position in a State School right from the start in the Adelaide Metro Area. If you wil;l be sttling in a country location, then it will be a diffrent matter, as it is easier to obtain teaching position in country areas.

If you will be settling in the Adelaide Metro Area, then yout best bet would be after you obtained your teachers registration and lodged your activation application with DECS, to start to do Temporary Relief Teaching at schools on a daily basis. In this way you make yourself known to schools, and if they are satisfied with you, you soon gets roped in on contracts that may range from a few weeks to a whole year.

On contracts you earn a salary dtermined by your years experience, about $48 000pa in your case.

TRT's (Temporary Relief Teachers) are paid on a a flat daily rate of about $280.00 per day, It should go up in the near future. It's not much, and most people agree one cannot be a "career" TRT anymore, not on that pay with an average of 2 days per week. So one find that most people doing TRT, do it for a supplementary earning, or they try to get into the system by this way. It is basically th eonly way you eventually become a contract or permanent teacher in the Metro Area.

http://www.saaustralia.org/index.php?showt...t=0entry32326

Cheers,

Dax

Edited by Dax

Thank you Dax. Appreciate the advice.This will certainly point me in the right direction.

Ciao!