SIR VISA -TIMEFRAME

Ingrid

Please can someone help !

How long does one have to "take up" a SIR VISA? How long do you have to "wind things up" in South Africa??

I have been granted state sponsorship for South Australia and will be submitting the main VISA application shortly.

And secondly, ANY idea on current processing times for the SIRS VISA to DIMIA?

Thank you!!

Ingrid,

that's good news that you've received State sponsorship to come and live in Adelaide.

You'll have to ask Bronwyn, Annette, Marius, Tazz, to mention a few, about their timelines involved in the process.

I was entertaining this weekend just gone by, a young couple ("Aneldari") who had only been in Sth Australia a week.

They were offered a job in a school in a city to the north of Adelaide and it took the sum of 11 days to get their visas, leaving them in a scramble in the last few days to pack up, say good-bye and get to Australia.

I mentioned to them earlier that they can seem to wait . . . . and wait . . . . and wait . . . and . . . then everything is a mad panic to settle all affairs and get to Australia A.S.A.P.

Guest Bronwyn

Ingrid we are not here on a SIR Visa, but a Business Visa, but I can tell you once we had that stamp from South Australia, it was QUICK, sussie! Less than 3 months....

Enjoy!

Give us a shout when you get to Adelaide. :ilikeit:

Bronwyn

Hi Ingrid

We got an SIR visa, Western Australia. Our visa application went in on 5 July 2006, but due to medical problems (me having TB 17 years ago), it took a long time to process. We received a pre-grant request letter on Friday (23 February), and it states that if the visa is granted we have to be in Australia by 8 June, giving us literally 13 weeks to try and get organised, which is impossible as we have to first do our house up before we can sell. Also it is not just me (the main applicant) who has to be in the country by then, but the whole family.

Hope that helps.

Megan

Hi Ingrid

We have a thread with the latest processing information which we update on a weekly basis. Have a look through it to get an idea of dates.

Good luck

Cindy

Ingrid, you have to be in Australia within 12 months of your medicals or police checks, whichever was done earlier. This is to validate the visa. Then, you have 3 years to fulfil the conditions for the permanent stage of the SIR visa, which is that you should be living and working in SA for at least 2 years. That would give you 24 months from the medical or Police check dates to permanently settle or else you won't be in the country long enough to qualify for the next stage (you have to include hollidays or travel outside Aus in this time). Our SIR visa took 8 months in total (including the skills assessment). That was in 2005 though... times vary a lot depending on the time of year and other factors

Annette, Megs,

What is the process regaring applying for this type of a visa? I've had a look at some of the links posted here and it seems you have to work through an agent?

Do you have any ideas on the costs involved? Furthermore can you decide which area you'd like to apply for sponsonship for or do you fall in a pool and the government decides for you?

Thanks

Jacques

Edited by Jacques & Natz