Dress code for Interviews?

Pippa

Hi Everyone,

I’ve managed to secure 3 job interviews with recruitment agencies :ph34r: when my husband and I visit Australia in April 2007. I am just not sure :ilikeit: what to wear for these interviews...

If I were to go for an interview here in South Africa, I would have worn a black ladies’ suit with a colourful top/blouse underneath :ilikeit: . What do you recommend for an interview in Australia? Do you think a black ladies’ suit is acceptable or is it perhaps too formal?

Any suggestions would be appreciated. :o

Lovies, Pippa! X

Hi Pippa

Baie geluk met die interviews. Ek het gin idee nie, ons gaan ook mos eers in hierdie jaar, maar is self nuuskierig. Ook vir mans - moet hulle 'n baadjie aanhe of kan hulle net 'n netjiese hemp en das dra.

Sterkte en hou ons op hoogte!

Hi Pippa

I can only reply for Melbourne. I think your idea of the black suit is excellent, especially if the job is in city centre or in a large organisation. You will find it interesting to check out the ladies at lunch time in the city, black is their colour!

For smaller companies, they are probably less formal, but I think it is the first impression that you create which is the most important.

Pippa

Just some info you might already know about if not it could save your but.

If you will be visiting Australia on a visitors visa just make sure that customs don’t get a CV with you or mention anything about interviews anywhere. They will send you back to SA on the next plane available!!

Hey Pippa,

I found the business dress code here in Sydney far more formal than back in SA. The women tend to wear dark suits, so your choice sounds perfect. I swore initially that I would not become one of them and would proudly wear colour but I soon found that I felt uncomfortable and succumbed. I'm now the owner of a startling number of grey and black suits :D I still go for the shock factor and wear bright shirts occassionally though - what a rebel, huh :ilikeit::whome:

Good luck at the interviews!

Love

Ajay

Hi Pippa

As you know I'm "not there yet" but it was really an eye opener to see how formally everyone dresses for work compared with the way most people dress in SA, even in the "financial centre" Sandton the dress code is more relaxed.

Enjoy your trip

Cindy

My work is less formal as I rarely see clients but on occasion I do wear a suit or something more formal.

My husband had to buy a suit for the first time when we moved here. when they have meetings at their head office in Melbourne he has to wear a suit (and then there are no clients involved, just internal snootiness). They have all been given a set of ties and have to know which tie to wear to which event. He had a boardroom dinner the other night and was given a thick manual on etiquette for the dinner.

Guest Bronwyn

Yes - they go the 'whole hog' here, especially liking pencil or flared SKIRT suits in black, with - wait for it - tights!!! - even if it's 40 degrees and sweltering. Long sleeves too, naturally.

I think it's madness. But I must admit I would have felt uncomfortable to take off my suit jacket in an interview.

I have found the fashions to be quite different here, in general.

I think it's a good excuse to go SHOPPING!! :ilikeit::D:whome: In fact I just bought two pairs of leather shoes this afternoon. Slingback, closed toe, very lah-di-dah!

Bronwyn

Hi Pippa,

Just to add to what Ajay has already said about Sydney, the formal suit is definitely the right choice. Also acceptable is a long pants suit. I found in SA a skirt was better, but here in Aus a pants (slacks) are as acceptable.

Bronwyn,

The black tights are in all the way here in Aus!!! (I hate them). I think this dress code originates from the UK.

I understand the long sleeve blouses / tops and jackets too - the airconditioning inside the buildings is often freezing and I often work with a long sleeve blouse and a long sleeve jacket on. I no longer buy short sleeve blouses. The best I'll do for summer, even in 40 degrees, is a three quarter sleeve. I used to hate a three quarter sleeve and said I'll never wear it, well, now I do! The airconditioning in the trains here in Sydney are often also very cold!

SAS

Pippa, sterkte met die interviews ek weet sommer dit sal sommer net goed gaan. :ilikeit:

Now for my question, where and it what stores can you find these suits for ladies. Seeing as I am queenslander, nogal, and we are pretty more relaxed in what you wear I will probably have to buy a whole new work wardrobe when in Sydney. Any suggestions ideas for shopping?

Now for my question, where and it what stores can you find these suits for ladies. Seeing as I am queenslander, nogal, and we are pretty more relaxed in what you wear I will probably have to buy a whole new work wardrobe when in Sydney. Any suggestions ideas for shopping?
Hi Dedrei, there's David Jones, Myer, Portmans, Ojays, Table Eight which is part of Myer. These are the only ones I can think of right now. Most of these stores can be found in the Westfield shopping centres.

There are also shopping centres which have only outlet stores. The outlet shopping centres I can think of right now are DFO in Homebush near the Sydney Olympic Park and closer to the city is Birkenhead Point near the Iron Cove Bridge in the suburb of Drummoyne.

SAS

Hi Everyone,

Many thanks for your replies :lol: . I don’t particularly like the idea of a suit :lol: , but if that’s what it takes to make a good impression, then I will do it :P !!! Fortunely I am a ownder of a few ladies’ suits :) !

Just some info you might already know about if not it could save your but.

If you will be visiting Australia on a visitors visa just make sure that customs don’t get a CV with you or mention anything about interviews anywhere. They will send you back to SA on the next plane available!!

Johan, thanks for reminding me of this. We will not be entering on a Visitor’s Visa, but will make sure that I don’t have a CV on my for just in case :D .

especially liking pencil or flared SKIRT suits in black, with - wait for it - tights!!! - even if it's 40 degrees and sweltering.

The pencil or flared skirt does sound very good :ilikeit: ! Oh my word…I don’t like dressing up :lol:! Don’t think you will see me in tights :blink: (especially not in 40 degrees :lol: )!!!

Lovies, Pippa! X

Oh no I don't like this at all! :ilikeit:

I work for a big financial company here in Pretoria, but because I'm in IT we just do and dress like we want. I go to work in jeans and sandals every day.

We're flying to Sydney for our LSD this weekend and I thought a nice black pants and black shirt will do the trick for interviews. I don't own a suit. Well it will just have to do. There is no time for shopping now!

Hi Guys

Just thought I would tell you not to worry too much. The corporate world dresses up, but that is not the vast majority of companies. For instance, I have worked for the same company for seven years, I have never seen anybody male or female in a suit, they mostly wear jeans and a t-shirt. The internal sales lady has been known to come to work in shorts in summer. The guys often wear shorts in summer. HOWEVER, we do not see members of the public in our office, so there is no need to impress! The only time we dress up is when our overseas head office bosses come to pay a visit - as they are all dressed up! This is the norm in all four of the companies that I have worked for in Aus.

My son is in IT and goes out to see clients, he has no choice but to wear smart trousers, with good shirt and tie - that is expected. My friend next door works in a government office, she dresses up, albeit in trousers and blouse. Another friend works for an earth moving company in the office, she wears jeans and a t-shirt. My husband works in a workshop and wears a uniform. I would go so far as to say that if you work in the corporate world you will be required to dress up. If you work in the manufacturing industry, in an office, almost anything goes. So it all depends where you are employed, that dictates what you will have to wear.

As a matter of interest, the idea of the huge conglomerates that you have in SA is unusual in Aus, or so I have been told. Here apparently, 85% of the businesses are 'owner' run!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello there,

What about a man, what shout he wear if he is to attend an interview in West Austrlia (Bunbury). Would a dark suit pants, white shirt and tie be sufficient or should I have a jacket as well?

Any comments or suggestions will be much appreciated.

• 3 weeks later...

A bit of interesting news! In NZ people are very relaxed about dress-code, so we will definately have to check our clothes before going!

Hello there,

What about a man, what shout he wear if he is to attend an interview in West Austrlia (Bunbury). Would a dark suit pants, white shirt and tie be sufficient or should I have a jacket as well?

Any comments or suggestions will be much appreciated.

Just a humble opinion but you can almost never look to good for an interview. Much as your cv or resume as they say here must be so sharp.

In both cases, resume and interview you will have about 30sec to create an initial good or bad impression. If the first 30 sec goes well then you get a good chance. If not it will be hell to claw your way back in.

I learnt that back in RSA, and it still applies.

My cv was a bit too and sent it to many places with no interview. I rewrote it and got a look in, and got the job. I have since cleaned it up again.

Why not just go to the office a day or 2 before and see how people dress. Just say you were checking the address, or ask for some literature on the company. Also read all you can on the website so it seems as if you know a bit about what happens there.

Edited by LeeInOz

Anyone know what the work dress code is like in Brisbane and on the Gold Coast?

Please say it's as chilled out as Durban! :angry:

Edited by celeste

Reading info on the company is very good. We have found that a lot of companies like to ask why you want to work for them...the logical answer would be...you've got a job, I want a job...ha-ha! But that is not the answer they want!

• 1 month later...

Pippa, how did it go with your interviews?

Pofstert

Dear Pofstert,

Thank you very much for asking. We mostly met with Recruitment Agents who advised us that they will start looking out for us mid June, as we only want to leave for Australia end July / early August :whome: .

I had an interview with a possible employer but was not successful, as there were “good local contenders” for the position I applied for :lol: .

Although I am somewhat disappointed, it was a good learning curve and now I have a better idea of what the interviews are like in Australia :holy: .

Lovies, Pippa! X

Pippa, every interview whether positive or negative is good experience. The correct job will come your way!

Hi Pippa

It obviously just wasn't the job meant for you. Hang in there and don't be discouraged something else and probably something better will come up soon.

C

Pippa, I have to agree with Mandyl, no interview is a waste. Just like you said, at least you have an idea now of what it is like.

So you're already a step ahead of us :P

(and definitely way ahead of me) :ilikeit:

Pofstert