How much cash?

Springbok

How much cash (in Aussie dollars) should I take along on my trip next month?

I'll be in Brisbane for 5 days and in Sydney for 3 days.

Accomodation in Sydney is already paid for, as well as the show in the Operahouse.

Staying with my cousin in Brisbane, so accomodation and transport is sorted out there as well.

So I only need cash for food, entry fees to places of interest, fees for buses/trains in Sydney and maybe some shopping. For expensive items I will pay with my Visa credit card.

Just want to get a rough idea of how much cash I should have...

Thanks

Springbok

Guest Bronwyn

Hi Charl - I would just use my bank card here and draw at the ATMs as you go. You use your same pin number.

If it's Visa you can pay almost everywhere with it too, except in very small shops.

I wouldn't bother getting Forex or traveller's cheques. Just use the Visa.

Maybe budget $100 pd? Depends on your tastes. A glass of wine is $6. A bottle of water $3. Take-aways maybe up to $10. Restaurant about $25.....Movies $13.

I still use my plastic every day. :ilikeit::ph34r::ilikeit:

Hi Springbok

When we went on our LSD Trip 4 days in Sydney and 7 Days in the Gold Coast, we worked on AUD100 per day this was enough but did not include the entrance fees for Ocean World and the Koala Sanctuary. This did how ever cover the transport and fuel and meals for Liza and I.

In Sydney we used the public transport trains and fairies, and in Brisbane and the Gold Coast we rented a car.

In Sydney we used the train and took one day riding up and down all the mayor lines and looking at the suburbs. One thing you should do in Sydney is take a fairy trip from one of the Quay's and enjoy boating around the harbor its really nice and you get to see some really nice places. We bought a Day Tripper Ticket for about AUD 15 but remember to buy it from the machine because if you buy it from the casher they charge you AUD 18 (We only fond that out on the last day :ilikeit: ).

We also did lots and (lost) of driving and looking at suburbs in and around Brisbane, really nice to drive a round there. We stayed in Surface Paradise, so we took one day and drove up to the Sunshine Coast, Ipswich Area and all around Brisbane looking at the suburbs and estates. The northern part of Brisbane is allot more humid that the southern part, but they have a golf estate in the Northen Suburbs really nice if I recall correctly it was called North Lakes. The bets part of driving around was the traffic and the considered drivers on the road, its something you have to experience.

Some must sees I think is the Ocean World (I hope I have the name right, its in the Surface Paradise) take your cozzy with you can swim with the dolphins, and in a Big Fish Tank Really cool. We also went to the Koala Sanctuary and I had a photo taken with a real Koala, that was so great !!!! Go swim in the Pacific Ocean !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hope this helps in your planning. Enjoy the trip and take lots of photos.

Cheers

Rudi

P.S. Don't worry about Jet Lag we only slept about 3 Hours a night when we where there, it only hits you hard when you come back :ilikeit::ph34r::o:(

Hi Charl - I would just use my bank card here and draw at the ATMs as you go. You use your same pin number.

Thanks Bronwyn - what are the bank charges for international ATM withdrawals?

Probably best to withdraw cash only once, e.g. A$700?

Guest Bronwyn

I don't know what the Absa bank charges are - I have a flat rate account of R150 pm. no more, no less, so I make the most of it. Rather phone them & ask.

We also got free travel insurance because we paid for the tickets with our Visa Card, but you have to ask for it. Tell them the dates you are going and insist on getting proof in writing that you are covered. :ilikeit:

You can upgrade the cover for a fee.

Bron

Hi Springbok,

We are also going for our LSD in March/April 2007 and will not be taking too much cash with us. Whenever we go abroad, we normally use our credit cards for purchases and just have enough cash for the odd coffee / sandwich.

I won’t rely on just one credit card, as the one might get damaged or something.

Bye, Pippa! X

PS. When are you leaving?

PS. When are you leaving?

Leaving Sunday 11th, back in Joburg on Friday 23rd March. And then hopefully leave for good on 1st June!

Hi ABSA Charges R40 per transaction and the there normal transaction charge I think

Cheers Rudi

The RSA banks charge an international withdrawal fee for CASH withdrawals (avg = R40 per withdrawal). You don't pay the fee for purchases, so even if you buy something for a small amount, rather charge it to your card than draw small amounts of cash all the time. Visa or MasterCard is accepted at 99.9% of places - even McDonald's! Some shops don't accept American Express or Diners Club because of the fees (or they charge a % extra for your purchase).

Guest Bronwyn

Hi Charl -

I wanted to ask - Have you considered bringing an extra suitcase over on your LSD now with any valuables/extra suits/special books etc? You could always leave it with a forum member in Sydney and then bring more over the next time. That is, if you are not bringing a container over?

There are always those few things you don't want to leave behind (Grandma's tea set, etc :o ), and they will cost you a fortune to courier later.

PS. The good clothes & shoes are very expensive here, so stock up now.

Bronwyn

Edited by Bronwyn