Accountant (NIA)

Hi All;

My wife has a BCom Hons in Accounting but we are unsure if it will be sufficient to qualify for an Accountant. We have already forwarded her information to the NIA, but it appears that the only way to get a successful assessment is to be a CA. Does anybody have some advice?

Hi

See Dedrei's thread on Accountant Assessment Support Group - there she gives the links to CA and CPA. And even if your not a CA, CAA can give you a positive assessment for immigration purposes. From what I've heard and the time people has mentioned to have their skills assessed, I think CAA is the way to go.

Hi All;

My wife has a BCom Hons in Accounting but we are unsure if it will be sufficient to qualify for an Accountant. We have already forwarded her information to the NIA, but it appears that the only way to get a successful assessment is to be a CA. Does anybody have some advice?

Hi Etienne :ilikeit:

Has NIA advised you that your wife's qualifications are not suitable?

I suggest you take a look (if you haven't already done so) at http://www.nia.com.au/category.asp?categoryID=923&page=#Ans1, particularly question 1 which relates to subjects previously completed.

Regards,

Fiona Carre

Registered Migration Agent

Gold Coast, Australia

it appears that the only way to get a successful assessment is to be a CA. Does anybody have some advice?

In general most of the South African undergraduate courses specifically aimed at preparation for CA (SA) should be adequate for successful assessment on ASCO code 2211-11 (Accountant) by any of the three assessment bodies.

A word of caution though - some cases have been reported recently where NIA has deemed the accounting theory part to not be complied with. Likewise some people got tripped up on financial accounting (financial and corporate) as well as finance (corporate).

Remember that your qualification(s) must include adequate coverage of at least 9 of the 12 core curriculum areas. If you consider that Australian taxation law & Australian company law form part of these 12 you'll appreciate that if your come short on another 2 subjects then your qualification will not be assessed as adequate for migration purposes.