Skills Assessment help- Law degree

clair_m

HI,

I recently completed a BA and LLB at an Australian university in Queensland. I plan on practising law and I do meet all the academic requirements for admission as a solicitor, however there are still some practical requirements outstanding (6 month practical course).

I am wondering if I can still nominate legal practitioner as my nominated occupation as I do have an Australian law degree, or if there are any other options. A migration agent in a free assessment suggested that I would still nominate Solicitor as my occupation but I would qualify for 50 points instead of the 60 designated ones (which was ok), but I havent seen anything else about this option.

From what I've been able to find out- I think the only acceptable skills assessment for lawyers is actually being admitted to practice, and was wondering if this was different with an Australian degree?

If anyone has any help or advice, I would be truly grateful.

Thanks

Clair

A migration agent in a free assessment suggested that I would still nominate Solicitor as my occupation but I would qualify for 50 points instead of the 60 designated ones (which was ok), but I havent seen anything else about this option.

A 50-point occupation won't get you very far if you did not recently graduate with a PhD, supposing you're applying for a skilled overseas student visa.

Also, your nominated occupation needs to be related to your studies, and hopefully the migration agent you consulted is aware of this as well.

Peter

Thank you for replying.

A 50 point occupation is enough as Im applying as an Australian sponsored overseas student.

I was able to contact the agent today and she said that I could nominate "Policy and Planning Manager" as my occupation and would get a positive skills assessment based on my Australian law degree. So I am looking into that now.

Thanks

Clair

I bade my farewell to this forum, but I've decided to make this one final post as I have severe reservations about the advice that you have been given.

Ask the agent (have you hired him/her as your agent yet?) what he/she thinks about these two factors:

1. relevancy of your degree to your nominated occupation

2. usual/expected occupation in relation to a qualification held by applicant whereby that occupation requires licence/registration or is otherwise regulated in Australia.

I've given this advice before, and I'll give it more more time here: seek proper professional advice as your situation is not straightforward. These two are regulations which are law, not policy or guidelines.

All the best.

Peter

otherwise known as "ptlabs"