Visa 136

JayNBee

My husband and I are going to apply for a 136 visa, we think!

Everything seems to be in order, except that Bill has not worked recently except in an "informal" self-employed capacity. And this seems to be the breaking point for us and could make the difference in us scoring the desired 120 points or not.

I have the work experience, but my profession only gets 40 points, so that still leaves us a bit short of the 120 points.

Is the 120 points and "yes or no" situation, or is it fully assessed and you are given a portion of those points pro rata depending on what you have spent the last 3 or 4 years doing?

Bill has been speculating on the property market and doing up houses, and doing informal work for friends and colleagues. Is it enough to write a sworn affidavit to this effect and get letters from the friends and colleagues stating what he has done for them? Would he get pro rata points for this?

Bye for now,

Juanita

My husband and I are going to apply for a 136 visa, we think!

Everything seems to be in order, except that Bill has not worked recently except in an "informal" self-employed capacity. And this seems to be the breaking point for us and could make the difference in us scoring the desired 120 points or not.

I have the work experience, but my profession only gets 40 points, so that still leaves us a bit short of the 120 points.

Is the 120 points and "yes or no" situation, or is it fully assessed and you are given a portion of those points pro rata depending on what you have spent the last 3 or 4 years doing?

Bill has been speculating on the property market and doing up houses, and doing informal work for friends and colleagues. Is it enough to write a sworn affidavit to this effect and get letters from the friends and colleagues stating what he has done for them? Would he get pro rata points for this?

Bye for now,

Juanita

Juanita

DIAC are very particular about recent work experience. Remember, it's not only the points test that you need to worry about, it's also the basic requirements, which has a recent work experience component.

If you don't meet the basic requirements, your points don't even get tallied.

I'd approach a registered agent who is familiar with skills assessment issues and see if you have sufficient work experience for migration purposes. This issue is one of the most easily overlooked one for Do-It-Yourself applicants.

Peter