Tourist Visa For New Caledonia

charm_hen

Hi Everyone :)

It's my husband's 50th birthday in January so I have booked us on a surprise South Pacific cruise, leaving Sydney on 6th Feb 2012. We are permanent residents (haven't been here for 4 years yet) and will be travelling on our SA passports.

I have enquired and been told that we need a visa for New Caledonia so went onto the French Consulate website to book an appointment. The earliest one I could get for both of us is 18th January 2012. I am now a complete stress ball as I am not sure if we will get the visa in time. :blink:

Has anyone been in the same "boat" and can offer some advice?

Thanks so much in advance

Charmaine :)

Hi Charmaine

Aneldari; and Penny's daughter (on this forum), and myself have been on cruises which stop at New Caledonia and no matter what anyone tells you, you DO NOT need a visa on a South African passport if you are entering on a cruise and staying for just a few hours.

I was also stressed out when I found out I needed a visa. Read responses to my entry here:

http://www.saaustralia.org/index.php/topic/32867-trying-to-go-on-a-decent-holiday/page__p__285531__hl__%2Bnew+%2Bcaledonia__fromsearch__1#entry285531

Edited by Veronique

Hi Veronique :)

Thank you!! so much for your reply:) I feel so much better now and can relax.

What a great forum this is :ilikeit:

Charmaine

Hi Charmaine

As Veronique states, you don't need a visa if you enter off a cruise.

Enjoy the trip

Penny

Charmaine, you will probably receive a letter as with everyone without an Australian passport. You will be requested to take your passports to be shown to the port officers who will be aboard the ship. They will simply check your passport and tick your name off their list.

Hope you have stunning time!

• 9 months later...

Hi all

It's nearly a year after the last post in this thread and I'm in the same boat - literally and figuratively.

Can anyone offer updated feedback - I have a cruise booked in December and I'm freaking out about the visa which the travel agency says I have to have - just not enough time considering the two month waiting period for an appointment at the French consulate in Sydney.

Thanks

Francois

Hi all

It's nearly a year after the last post in this thread and I'm in the same boat - literally and figuratively.

Can anyone offer updated feedback - I have a cruise booked in December and I'm freaking out about the visa which the travel agency says I have to have - just not enough time considering the two month waiting period for an apJpointment at the French consulate in Sydney.

Thanks

Francois

Hi there, please let me know what you find out, I'm interested !?

Hi all

Can anyone offer updated feedback - I have a cruise booked in December and I'm freaking out about the visa which the travel agency says I have to have - just not enough time considering the two month waiting period for an appointment at the French consulate in Sydney.

Thanks

Francois

I'm sorry but Charmaine is still locked up in a cell in New Caledonia and unfortunately has no internet access so won't be able to reply :ph34r:

Edited by Fish
  • Like 3

I'm sorry but Charmaine is still locked up in a cell in New Caledonia and unfortunately has no internet access so won't be able to reply :ph34r:

Lol!!! Let's get on the phone to A Current Affair....

Lol!!! Let's get on the phone to A Current Affair....

Talking to A Current Affair ? I'd rather say "youse" !!! :D

Edited by Fish

Talking to A Current Affair ? I'd rather say "youse" !!! :D

Hahaha I'd love to be on ACA with all the tenants that have been wronged, landlords that have had their houses trashed at facebook parties and pensioners that thought they could get a 45% return on their Super by giving it to their nephew's friend to invest...what's wrong with youse??

Sorry for the hijack Francois. Maybe it will be best to phone the French Consulate in Sydney to enquire?

Edited by Bronwyn&Co

Lol - no worries - glad to be the start of some mirth :)

Unfortunately, the French consulate has no voice assistance for visa queries - I've emailed them and I'm hoping for some clarity.

Thing is that their website is explicit in stating that passport holders from countries without visa exemption for New Caledonia (ie ZA) must have a visa - even if you're a cruise passenger who is not disembarking in port ....

It seems pretty cut and dried - except for feedback from people who have been there and confirmed its not true.

I had the same problem as I am doing a similar cruise on 30th December, and was told that I needed a Visa. My issue was that I am in Melbourne and all visa applicants have to appear in person at the consulate in Sydney.

It just so happens that I have now received my Australian citizenship, so am just waiting for the passports to be issued, so will be travelling on Aussie passports and dont need a visa.

At my citizenship ceremony I saw a mate of mine there who went on a cruise to New Caledonia last year. His wife was still on an SA passport. She did not need a visa, and she got off the ship in New Caledonia. No-one checked anything. There were no issues.

Interesting stuff!! A friend of mine (SAfrican) panicked and got a refund on a New Caledonia cruise ticket she had booked!

I was convinced I couldn't get in so we went to Vanuatu instead (amazing, fantastic place!!)

Edited by Bronwyn&Co

Hi

Someone from the SAAus Facebook page confirmed today that you still do not need a visa for New Caledonia (if you are on a cruise). Apparently she got hold of some-one that is quite clued-up.

Cruises are absolutely amazing and you'll love the experience!

Enjoy!

Cheers

Aneldari

Thanks for the answers all

I'm 99.9% sure now that we do not need the visa.

That last damn 0.1% is due to the French Consulates's website.

I've been on MSC cruises in South Africa - Melody, Rhapsody and Sinfonia and that's why I'm planning the cruise here - the best holiday in my opinion.

Thanks again

Francois

Thanks for the answers all

I'm 99.9% sure now that we do not need the visa.

That last damn 0.1% is due to the French Consulates's website.

I've been on MSC cruises in South Africa - Melody, Rhapsody and Sinfonia and that's why I'm planning the cruise here - the best holiday in my opinion.

Thanks again

Francois

Francois I am very keen on a cruise and it looks like good value, but I'm scared I get sick with the rocking of the boat ;)'

Did you not experience this?

Francois I am very keen on a cruise and it looks like good value, but I'm scared I get sick with the rocking of the boat ;)'

Did you not experience this?

I didn't...or very little...but I'm guessing different times of the year will increase/decrease your chances of rough weather. I think summer is the worst in the South Pacific off Brisbane.

Choose a cabin in the middle of the ship for the least rocking.

I can't even read an sms on my phone in the car and I start to feel sick, hmmm I'd hate to spend the whole time ill :(

I can't even read an sms on my phone in the car and I start to feel sick, hmmm I'd hate to spend the whole time ill :(

My wife hates reading the phone in the car but she was fine on our cruise. It would be a bugger to be sick the whole time but maybe the odds of that aren't too high if you avoid summer? There are mini tester cruises you can do that only last 1 or 2 nights. Also cruises that go up the qld coast from Brisbane to Cairns and back.

My wife hates reading the phone in the car but she was fine on our cruise. It would be a bugger to be sick the whole time but maybe the odds of that aren't too high if you avoid summer? There are mini tester cruises you can do that only last 1 or 2 nights. Also cruises that go up the qld coast from Brisbane to Cairns and back.

Thanks I'll try a mini one! :)

I'll try this one! ;)http://www.cruiseabout.com.au/product/Worldwide-2473608