IELTS test- partner?

sa2oz

Hi All! Can anyone advise me as to whether my husband needs to do the IELTS test? We are applying on an STNI subclass 137 visa to Victoria and I did the IELTS test AGES ago! Incidentally, we have already sent off our visa application but knowing the waiting list for the IELTS exam makes me think if we HAVE to do it, I might as well book. Thanks!!!!

Hi Fiona! I did my IELTS test when I had my teaching skills assessment done through NOOSR. I did get a suitable skills assessment but was then advised by Early Childhood Australia to upgrade my South African pre-primary and junior primary qualification to include the birth to two year old component which i then completed thru the University of South Africa(UNISA). The ECA are happy and I have since received the go ahead from the SMP and so sent the visa forms off to Adelaide but............ since there is SUCH a long queue for the IELTS test and it is so jolly expensive now in pounds, I was wondering whteher it was necessary for my husband to also do the test? Thanks for your help.

Hi. I have applied for an SIR visa and I got a request to do my IELTS test about 3 months after I submitted my application. I didn't claim points from my husband and he was not requested to do the test. So maybe it depends on whether you claim points from your spouse? Not quite sure, but it kinda makes sense!

Thanks Megs! I am actually not claiming points from my hubby as he has passed 'the critical birthday' so, in fact, even though his skills are on the MODL list, he's 46!

Thanks for your reply- this forum is wonderful when you realise just how many people are so willing to share their knowledge and experiences.

All,

For any skilled visa, accompanying partners will need to provide evidence of at least functional English, except where points are claimed by the accompanying partner.

You will most likely be asked to do an IELTS test if you're the accompanying partner who isn't classified as a native English speaker.

Peter

Hi

My partner (also 46) had to do the test to prove functional English - lower pass mark required - as we SA passport holders are not classified as native English speakers

Cheers

Cindy

• 3 weeks later...
Guest colton

Do you need to do IELTS if you are applying for permanent residency from inside Australia? Are you ever excluded as adults, including partners? How long has the rule for IELTS been in existance, longer than 3 years?

Do you need to leave Australia to have your visa issued if you have applied for permanent residency from inside Australia?

Thanks in advance

If you have applied for a general skilled visa, then yes you need to leave aus for nz for a few days to get PR visa. If you receive a employer or state sponsored visa then you are allowed to stay in Aus.

You will need IELTS regardless if you are in Aus or not.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

D

Guest colton

Thanks Dedrei,

A friend came over on a sponsored 457 visa beginning of last year, they used an immigration lawyer to apply for PR and he told them not everyone has to do the IELTS if you applied before March 2006. Sounded a little strange to me and have been trying to look it up but everything I find says IELTS required if coming from SA.

There is the clause about if you have worked in Australia for 1 year prior to applying and english is your first language you are then exempt? Maybe I understood it wrong?

We are hoping to go to Fiji rather than New Zealand when we have to leave. Trying to convince hubby! :D