Carpentry Qualifications Of Sa Doesn't Mean Much In Australia

Aleck and Milda

Hi, we have arrived in Perth (North of Perth/ Joondalup area) on a skilled permanent residence visa (176) almost three weeks ago. My husband has done the VETASSESS Carpentry III Certificate, tested by AUSTRALIA standard in SOUTH AFRICA. He also have 11 years construction / building experience of which 6 years was as supervisor / foreman and site supervisor. He have experience on commercial as well as residential properties. During this time he was still very much hands on with private jobs. Although he is a carpenter by trade he had a large knowledge of the other trades in the building industry. Also build a 500m2 house from foundation till handover by himself (private after hours). .

He've been told now that all his qualifications of South Africa doesn't mean much is Australia. He needs to get a "white card" and will most likely start as a labourer.

Could anybody please advise us what is the best way to apply for this card? Everybody keep on saying that there is such a shortage of skilled people in Australia and we are shocked with this remarks. He is willing to even change his career direction if there is a company that could support him in his studies. If anybody know of good opportunities or what tipe of coarse he can take to

give him credit in his trade, please advise us. Thank you!

I do not beleive that your husbands experience or trade is not recognised, I do beleive that your husband needs to just find the right company to work for.

In most isntances , Australians will just tell you this, because its easier not to employ you just in case you are not the right person. They want you to have 'Aussie" experience. Some how when you cross that ocean , they think you loose you knowledge and skills in the process.

I have sent you a PM , its worth a try.

Good luck

Cheers

Enrica

The white card cost about $75.00 , if he does it online.

The will need a white card if he intends working on a building site.

The White Card is just a construction induction card. You do the online course which mainly consists of OH&S stuff (occupational health and safety). You then complete the multiple choice test at the end of the course and your white card will be posted to you. It really is no big deal - just a basic requirement on ALL Australian building sites.

As to your hubby's skills... Here in Aus, you will find that every person has their role - you don't find a sparkie doing carpentry or plumbing. Each one is a separate trade here. You don't get a jack-of-all-trades here. So perhaps your hubby needs to concentrate on just one aspect of the building industry. I would suggest re-writing his resume to reflect a focus on one aspect so that he doesn't appear to be just a jack-of-all-trades.

I hold a white card and work on construction sites within the audio visual industry.

Archived