The South African Rand Dropping

Toitjie

Luckily my money is going through now, use CashKows - good service. I was freaking watching this currency de value over the months!

• 1 month later...

Well, the Ozzie Dollar weakened quite a bit after the unexpected rate cut yesterday.

In Taiwan the Taiwan dollar weakened quite a bit a while back when I wanted to send money, so I held back a bit.

Recently it had strengthened slowly and then after the movement yesterday I rushed off to the bank this morning and got it at a great exchange.

I saved more than R4,000 (Taiwan dollar equivalent) to send $10,000 today compared to about 1 1/2 months ago.

Thankfully, I bought a couple of AUD$ yesterday... :)

Ha!!!

I have some cash from our LSD trip under my mattress.

It is still the same value in AUD but in ZAR it has grown quite a bit.

Now if only I had that visa, I'd move every last cent I have right now.

Ha!!!

I have some cash from our LSD trip under my mattress.

It is still the same value in AUD but in ZAR it has grown quite a bit.

Now if only I had that visa, I'd move every last cent I have right now.

Why wait for the visa, if you have an account and a tax clearance move it!

I do not have a tax clearance and would not need one for the small amount of money I want to transfer.

Also, to open an Aus account they want to know what residency visa I have, not tourist.

Then before I can get the money back or use it, I need to go there.

Now if for some remote reason our Case Officer decides to decline it or for some other reason we need to withdraw and re-apply, where would I get the money to do that?

If I tell the bank I have a PR visa and I fly there with a tourist visa, I have lied to them. Would they be allowed to legally give it to me as a tourist and not a PR resident? I'd suspect that they would first start an investigation or simply tell me to come back with a PR visa.

AUD/ZAR=9.06 over the weekend

Back to 9.12 today

Looking at the graph the general movement is up.

However, it looks to be at a low end of the fluctuations at the moment.

I can only imagine a strong and fast climb from here for the next month or so before going back down again. But I may be wrong and it may drop even further from where it is now.

post-16092-0-14547300-1368510410_thumb.p

Currently it seems all 4 big banks will give 3% interest on a savings account and 1.5% to 1.55% additional "booster" for the first 3 to 4 months.

Commonwealth said that I can only open the account one month before arriving.

ANZ seem to want you to pay account fees or deposit funds into the account on a monthly basis.

NAB and Wespac both are willing to waive the first year of account fees.

So, I'd be getting 3% interest and saving on devaluation of my Randellas.

Westpack also has this nice looking branch in Joondalup

post-16092-0-71940000-1368511119_thumb.j

Commonwealth said that I can only open the account one month before arriving.

I filled in the forms on their website and they then confirmed they can only open accounts maximum of 3 months in advance. Couple of days ago they opened the account and I transferred my first $1000.

The consultant from CommonWealth gave me an email address so that i can request a longer period.

I just figured, why go through all the hassle if others can provide me with same service with less hoops to jump through.

Perhaps they will be better when it comes to something else, like bonds or vehicle finance... but that we will compare when we need it.

It is weird, I had 0 issue opening my account with them... o well...

• 2 weeks later...

Have you guys considered unit trusts in Australia?

www.allangray.com.au or www.australianunitypfs.com.au and probably lots more.

If you read here - http://www.allangray.co.za/assets/forms/allan%20gray%20australia/forms/Allan%20Gray%20-%20Switch%20form.pdf it seems as if you may be able to transact via Allan Gray SA.

To see some of the available fund performances go here -http://www.australianunityinvestments.com.au/FindAFund/Pages/FindAFund.aspx

I am playing with this idea instead of just dropping money in a bank.

I had no problem opening my account with NAB - if you open an account with an iSaver, they give you a higher rate of about 5% (might be lower now) for the first 3 months. You can also open them from offshore (I opened mine in person though).

PM me if you want me to get you the details of the person at the West End branch in the Perth CBD that helped me...