Job Prospects For A Business Unit Manager

Donovan83

Hey guys,

I have a question relating to the job market for people like my partner. We’ll be coming over on a visa that will be granted based on my skills. My partner has a BCom (Management) degree from Bond University (Australia). He’s also got 5 years experience in positions that include being a business unit manager for a large distributor in the IT industry.

Can anyone give insight into job prospects for him? An opportunity has come up where we may be able to go over on a 457 while we wait for our PR to be granted and he’s quite apprehensive in terms of work... I think too much “you’re too Afrikaans and too white and too male” has got stuck in his head.

Any advice or comments would be appreciated :)

Hi there,

It's always tricky to say how hard or easy it will be to find a specific job in a specific industry - there are so many variables...

My thoughts would be that theoretically there is no reason why he wouldn't be able to find a job. He has experience and qualifications. The bigger question is how long it will take. His skills are of a 'general commercial/business management' nature so you guys would need to be realistic about the fact that it might take a bit of time, and initially he may need to settle for something less than his idea of a perfect job; but it's a means to an end and new opportunities eventually come along. Based on his skills he probably would have the best chances on the east coast though (Melbourne, Sydney or Brisbane). He would definitely not be too white or too old for anything, if that's all that's bothering him you can tell him he can rest assured :whome:

Check out Seek to get a feel for how many and what kind of jobs are advertised in his field in the area you're thinking of moving to.

z

Archived