Experienced It Graduate Looking For Junior Position (brisbane)

Brakanjan

Hi everyone,

I am dismayed by the fact that I have put a lot of time and energy into applying for available positions, but time after time I get a response telling me that "On this occasion your application has been unsuccessful". The employee selection process has become unbelievably impersonal and it feels like employers are not even interested in meeting potential employees anymore but instead they just scan through a list of applicants.

For this reason I have decided that I may be better off networking and exploring social avenues instead. All I ask is for help to actually meet someone in person or a lead for an opportunity that may get me there.

Here is a summary of my current professional profile:

Graduate in IT Co-Op (Includes industry placement)

Australian permanent resident situated in Brisbane

I currently have about a year and a half experience in an IT support role where I deal with a multitude of different IT related issues

I am ideally looking for a position that may further develop my skills in database management, but I'm open to other positions

I can provide a CV and further information relating to my abilities as required

I also hear that a lot of people on this forum are employed at Dialog, and have heard many good things about the company so I would love to get some more information if possible.

Please let me know if I can provide any further information..

Thanks for taking the time to read my message..

Kind regards,

Evan

Hi Evan,

Just out of interest...why does your profile say your location is South Sydney but you state that you're situated in Brisbane? :blink:

Links for Dialog : www.dialog.com.au and maybe also check out the Networking section of the forum as members often post there about Dialog looking for certain skills etc.

Another option is to get in contact with Marco Fig. You can check out thread where he offers his service in IT recruitment:

http://www.saaustral...696#entry294696

Good luck with the job hunting!! :ilikeit:

A

Have you applied for roles directly with the company or have you been working through recruitment agents? Generally it is a good thing to register with a recruitment agent even if you prefer to deal directly with prospective employers. A lot of companies prefer to work through recruitment agents as they do all the leg-work (check out references, workrights etc. and sift out the unsuitable candidates).

Are you willing to accept an "inferior" role to start with and just to get you into the job market? This is often necessary to get your foot in the door and is maybe worth the try.

Maybe it is your resume which is not up to scratch? Sometimes some advice on how to write a resume, how to ensure an interview (and how to have a great interview) etc. could go a long way. If you register with a recruitment agent, and you go for your initial interview with them, this is the sort of stuff they could help with. (They rewrite your resume anyway in a format required by the client, so they'll be able to help you with how you should word it etc.) Before you go for an interview, they will tell you about the employer and the person who will be interviewing you, as well as give you tips on what the company is looking for in a candidate, so you are better prepared.

It could be so many little things which you innocently may not be aware of, so don't feel disheartened. Get some advice and guidance and keep on trying! Good luck - hope you find a job soon!

Hi Evan,

Just out of interest...why does your profile say your location is South Sydney but you state that you're situated in Brisbane? :blink:

Links for Dialog : www.dialog.com.au and maybe also check out the Networking section of the forum as members often post there about Dialog looking for certain skills etc.

Another option is to get in contact with Marco Fig. You can check out thread where he offers his service in IT recruitment:

http://www.saaustral...696#entry294696

Good luck with the job hunting!! :ilikeit:

A

Hi AAAZR,

Thank you for your response.. I gladly accept any advice which may help me in my efforts.. I will have a look at the Dialog website and see if there are currently any open positions..

I recently moved from Sydney to Brisbane and did not realize that my profile still displayed the old location. I will update my location straight away. Thanks for pointing it out!! :)

Regards,

Evan

Have you applied for roles directly with the company or have you been working through recruitment agents? Generally it is a good thing to register with a recruitment agent even if you prefer to deal directly with prospective employers. A lot of companies prefer to work through recruitment agents as they do all the leg-work (check out references, workrights etc. and sift out the unsuitable candidates).

Are you willing to accept an "inferior" role to start with and just to get you into the job market? This is often necessary to get your foot in the door and is maybe worth the try.

Maybe it is your resume which is not up to scratch? Sometimes some advice on how to write a resume, how to ensure an interview (and how to have a great interview) etc. could go a long way. If you register with a recruitment agent, and you go for your initial interview with them, this is the sort of stuff they could help with. (They rewrite your resume anyway in a format required by the client, so they'll be able to help you with how you should word it etc.) Before you go for an interview, they will tell you about the employer and the person who will be interviewing you, as well as give you tips on what the company is looking for in a candidate, so you are better prepared.

It could be so many little things which you innocently may not be aware of, so don't feel disheartened. Get some advice and guidance and keep on trying! Good luck - hope you find a job soon!

Hi Riekie,

Thank you for taking the time to type that response. I found it very helpful and will revise my approach to looking for employment. I have not yet tried to use a recruitment agent, but I think it may prove to be more efficient than applying directly to the company.

I am definitely willing to accept an inferior role if there are opportunities to advance in the future, or if it can give me some experience in other fields of IT.

Do you have any recommendations for a good recruitment agency?

Thanks again,

Evan

Hi AAAZR,

Thank you for your response.. I gladly accept any advice which may help me in my efforts.. I will have a look at the Dialog website and see if there are currently any open positions..

I recently moved from Sydney to Brisbane and did not realize that my profile still displayed the old location. I will update my location straight away. Thanks for pointing it out!! :)

Regards,

Evan

Hi Riekie,

Thank you for taking the time to type that response. I found it very helpful and will revise my approach to looking for employment. I have not yet tried to use a recruitment agent, but I think it may prove to be more efficient than applying directly to the company.

I am definitely willing to accept an inferior role if there are opportunities to advance in the future, or if it can give me some experience in other fields of IT.

Do you have any recommendations for a good recruitment agency?

Thanks again,

Evan

Maybe somebody from Dialog can give you some guidance.

I'm also actively seeking employment in the IT field. Just out of interest, are you using cover letters as part of your job search strategy?

I'm also actively seeking employment in the IT field. Just out of interest, are you using cover letters as part of your job search strategy?

Hi IslandStyle,

Yes, I have been using cover letters where possible. I normally tailor the cover letters to match what the employer is looking for..

Good luck with your job hunting, I hope that you have also learned something from this thread which may help you in your efforts!

Regards,

Evan

Archived