South African Shop In Adelaide

Crystal

Hey there, if you're feeling that withdrawal sympton and struggling to cope without those good old fashioned goodies like Mrs Balls Chutney, biltong, canned foods,curry spices,and and ... visit Mark (and ex South African) who brings in all the lekker lekker stuff... 0413175095 - 48 Edgeware Road, Aldgate :-)

Thanks for the info!! :) I was wondering where I could buy stuff here in Adelaide.

There is also a shop in Henley Beach road in Mile End, not sure of number or name but it’s between Marion & South roads.

They have all the normal stuff + alcohol as well.

But nowadays you can get Mrs. Balls at most Woolies... actually got my Aussie house mates hook on that stuff...

D B)

Edit:

PS. thinking about that, there is a little Sweet shop in Jetty Rd, Glenelg that have also got some South African stuff - pap + spices + mayonnaise +Mrs. Balls (Woollies is cheaper)

Edited by Danie

What on earth is this fascination with Mrs Ball chutney? I have never understood it! You can get the most awesome dips and condidments here and its not like Mrs Balls was ever a stape of SA society. It's not like every restaurant you go to has it on the table next to the salt, pepper and tomato sauce.

It reminds me of going to veldschool and even the army. People find themselves away from home and allofasudden they develop cravings for things like condensed milk

WTF?

It is not as bad as peoples cravings for the Cross&Blackwell mayonnaise & the baby food called Pronutro... It's something like...can't have it freely so I really want it... Go figure!

Oh! Pronutro! That was the best breakfast cereal in Zimbabwe, the stuff in South Africa was never the same! Sorry

It is not as bad as peoples cravings for the Cross&Blackwell mayonnaise & the baby food called Pronutro... It's something like...can't have it freely so I really want it... Go figure!

Thanks for the info!! :) I was wondering where I could buy stuff here in Adelaide.

You're welcome! And Mark is a well-informed ex SA'ian who will inspire you with chat am sure :-)

What on earth is this fascination with Mrs Ball chutney? I have never understood it! You can get the most awesome dips and condidments here and its not like Mrs Balls was ever a stape of SA society. It's not like every restaurant you go to has it on the table next to the salt, pepper and tomato sauce.

It reminds me of going to veldschool and even the army. People find themselves away from home and allofasudden they develop cravings for things like condensed milk

WTF?

Aaaawe c'mon... it's about the 'I-miss-South-Africa-' feel-good, not the actual product. Anything that even remotely smells of SA makes my toes curl LOL!

• Like 1

Funnily enough my friend's Mom always had a bottle of Crosse & Blackwell mayonnaise in the fridge after they moved to Australia as she didnt find anything she liked here (you cant be expected to change a lifetime of habits when you are 80 years old). She always had other mayonnaise available for the carers who came to help his Dad, but it didnt take long before they found the carers preferred Crosse & Blackwell - so it is not only South Africans. :lol:

Hi

I have been here just over 7 years now,and there is a reason why we still buy Mrs Bolls and Crosse & Blackwell mayonnaise.You cant get anything as good in Australia.My wife makes potato salad and we take it to a bbq ,she puts it on a table with a couple of other potato salads guess which one is eaten first? Why because 1 my wife makes a good one :ilikeit: and 2 Crosse & Blackwell mayo.As for Mrs Bolls every time I buy some I have to buy for our Australian friends too.

cheers Ian

For us it's Mrs Balls, Bovril, Aromat, Nik Naks and Simba crisps. There's no better chutney than Mrs Balls, Vegemite is awful and SA crisps are the best in the world.

BUT Aussie biscuits and cereals are the bomb. I never ate biscuits as much as I do now.......... Arnotts are the yummiest ever. And the cereal selection is magnificent!

Every country has their strengths hey.

Speaking of Mrs Balls & C&B mayo, do you get hot chocolate or Milo in Oz. My little boy just asked for hot chocolate and this is a big part of his routine. One cup every morning with brekkie and 1 at night after dinner. I'm just worried about the anarchy when I say there isn't any in Oz :lol:

yes....we do have hot chocolate and Milo here........we've left SA in 1999.....still LOVE/PREFER our Mrs Balls,Cross&Blackwell mayo,ALL GOLD tomato sauce,Pronutro ETC!!

Hi to all,

As one of the other members on here, my son also likes his little bear milk, one cup in the morning and one before he goes to bed at night! What is little bear milk? It is from Parmalat, the 1-3 year old First Growth Milk. Forgot to check whether it is stocked in Oz? Anybody know Parmalat milk (long life) in cartons? I have tried to switch to normal milk, but I have not yet bee successful in fooling him as he tell me, NO, this normal milk is not as good as "Little Bear Milk"!

Take care

Karen

• 6 months later...

Hey there, if you're feeling that withdrawal sympton and struggling to cope without those good old fashioned goodies like Mrs Balls Chutney, biltong, canned foods,curry spices,and and ... visit Mark (and ex South African) who brings in all the lekker lekker stuff... 0413175095 - 48 Edgeware Road, Aldgate :-)

Mark is very helpful and he also supplies Merise magazine

https://www.facebook.com/merisemedia

The other South Africa shop in Adelaide is "SA in SA" at 188 Henley Beach Rd, Torrensville. They have a website: sa-in-sa.com

I found them very friendly.

Funny enough, I haven't eaten Pronutro for years and years and bought some at this shop, and my 14 year old son who moved here with us when he was 5, absolutely loves it and eats it often for breakfast. I also like it again and find it doesn't give me heartburn like muesli often does. The nutritional value is also very good, which is a bonus after some of the other cereals out there that are so full of sugar and colourants, etc.

So I am happy to still get a few old favorite SA goodies, although we have found such a huge range of foods on offer here, that we mostly eat SA favorites as an occasional treat.

• 2 weeks later...

Nik-Naks!!! Nothing better!!! And please dont say that Twisties taste even vaguely the same!!!!!! Also miss Flings, Fanta Grape, Cheese Curls and the trashyYou magazine :)

Still buy pronutro, roooibos tea and the orange bottle braai sout from SA shop. And my Beacon Liquirice All Sorts from Big W. Must be Beacon tough. Nothing beats that. Although I think the braai sout is all in the mind for hubby but thats ok. Funny thing, I don't like the SA wines anymore. Barossa Valley, Margaret River and NZ's Marlbourgh Sounds win hands down.

What on earth is this fascination with Mrs Ball chutney? I have never understood it! You can get the most awesome dips and condidments here and its not like Mrs Balls was ever a stape of SA society.

WTF?

If it's good it's good, doesn't matter how difficult it is to get. I still get folks from the UK to bring me star bars or cans of dandelion and burdock.....don't tell me you've forgotten the taste of a caramac bar? Nothing like it in the world. Melding the foods of the different places we've lived in, together in our new country is what culture is all about. Thank goodness the Indian cultures brought curry to both the UK and RSA :ilikeit:

My hubby insists on his cross and blackwell, we always have Ma balls, and I could not live without sharwoods curry pastes, even pataks, and my chilli bite mix. Add those to all the yummy new discoveries in Australia and it's a gastronomes delight.

Edited by AndreaL