Playschools and pre schools in Perth

Trevor & Hayley

Hi

i'd just like to find out about pre schools and playschools in Perth. My one daughter has just turned 3 and my other is 17 months. I believe in Oz parents keep there children at home for longer? Would I send my baby to playschool 2-3 times a week when she is 2 years old? Do I pay for my 3 year old to go to pre school? I'm on a 136 visa.

Just need to know if it's a similar system to SA? Also, have parents found it necessary to send there children to private schools or are the government schools just fine?

Thanks Hayley

Hi there

I would also like information on pre schools and primary schools. My son is 5, turning 6 July.

Id like contact details for ANY and ALL schools you can supply, as well as fees, as I havent decided on a area in Australia yet.

Can you enrol your kid while on a visitors visa ? My plan B is to come over with him on a visitors VISA to build up contacts in the job market should I not be able to do this on the internet over 6 months of SERIOUS searching.

Cristel

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

The Playschools in Perth will take children from birth to 4 years (when the go to Kindy) . Playschools/Daycare are expensvie around $58.00 per day.

When the kids are eligible for "Kindy" aged 4 - depending from school to school Goverment or Private

they either go 2 full days a week or 4 halfdays a week.

If your kids are in daycare, and if you are a PR you do get some form of Government Assistance.

The only school that I know of that take children under the age of 4 is the Montessori school. They take them full day from age 3 but as you can imagine there are long waitlists at the Montessori Schools.

Goverment versus Semi Private versus Private - sorry I cant coment as my kids are 11 and 13 years old.

What I can say is that Goverment Schools (primary) their class sizes are smaller that the private schools.

Yes, incredible as it may sound, Goverment school classes are about 26 to a class , Semi Private schools around 30-34 and Private around 20.

I hope this is of some help.

Cristel

I can only comment regarding Perth, the other states might be different.

Regarding government schools, they will not take an enrolment until such time as you have a permanent address with a signed rental lease. They cannot refuse your child a place in the school if you live in the area.

Regarding the Semi Private and Private schools - I think you need to decide where you want to settle because it could land up costing you a lot of money in enrolment fees!!!! Anything from $50.00 to $500.00(non refundable).

Here are some websites

www.studyinaustralia.gov.au

www.csa.edu.au

www.isd.com.au

I hope this is of some help

The government primary schools are generally good in Perth. Most people I know are happy with government for primary and then they aim to send their kids to private for High School (if they can afford it). But there are plenty of really good government High Schools as well.

Hi

i'd just like to find out about pre schools and playschools in Perth. My one daughter has just turned 3 and my other is 17 months. I believe in Oz parents keep there children at home for longer? Would I send my baby to playschool 2-3 times a week when she is 2 years old? Do I pay for my 3 year old to go to pre school? I'm on a 136 visa.

Just need to know if it's a similar system to SA? Also, have parents found it necessary to send there children to private schools or are the government schools just fine?

Thanks Hayley

Hi i pay 4 my girl playgroepschool 70dollars a day she is private but is exel.Danielle goes 3times a week [my girls just turn 3]I think it also depends were she go to.They are realy very good with kidz in Perth.Ursula

• 3 months later...

Hi Hayley,

There's not that much info on the net about playschools, I have found out that schooling starts with the Kindergarten class and that is either 4 half days a week, or 1 full day and 2 half days - something weird like that; and that would be for a child who turns 4 before 1 July in that year. Your other option is a playgroup, checkout Playgroup WA but they are VERY expensive in comparison to South Africa!

We're in a similar predicament, we're moving to Perth in Augst/September this year, and we also have 2 daughters (3½ and 2). It would be great if we could get together occassionally and let the children play! We enrolled them into a semi-private school that has a Kindergarten 4 mornings a week, and also a pre-kindy program 2 mornings a week for children who have already turned 3. This is for 2008 anyway. But our plans have moved forward, and we're going Aug/Sept, so we also have to entertain/educate our girls for a while!

Regards

Barbara

Hi Barbara

You have chatted to my husband (Tjaart) a few times about the container and stuff.

We are also going over somewhere in August/September. Our boys are also 3 1/2 and 2 years old. We must really try to keep in contact and organise a get together when we are in AUS!!

We still need to find a school for our eldest, and I will keep the younger one at home, because the playschools are just too expensive!!!

Keep in touch

Tanya

Edited by Tanya

Hi Tanya,

Yes the childcare in Aus is very expensive, and I will also have both my girls with me for this year, and The older one will go to kindy next year. Isn't it funny how so many of the schools have kindy 3 days a week at odd times! Have seen the Aus education website, and info on their schools? If not, here it is The Department of Education there is a link from this page to "Schools Online" and here they list all the public schools in WA, so if you know a few school names like Rossmoyne (as I was telling Tjaart) you can look it up.

It would be great to get together in Aus and let the children play. They have nice parks with playground equipment there, so we can let the children vent their energy! Especially since the gardens are so small, if any at all!

Maybe we'll see you before at the breakfast.

Regards

Barbara

Hi Barbara

Yes we are going to be at the breakfast! Think it's next Saturday...

See you there!

Tanya

Edited by Tanya