Moving From Sydney To Brisbane-suburb Advise Please

SAman4Aus

We are visiting Brisbane this weekend to scout the areas to live in before moving from Sydney.

We are in out 50s with no kids at school. We have around $800k to spend on a house/apartment and like contemporary living.

What are the good suburbs to look at and which are the bad ones? I dont mind traveling 40 minutes to work in the CBD either. Is traveling from the Gold Coast to work in the CBD worth the effor?

Yes absolutely - travelling from GC to CBD is an option - we have lived here for 10 years now - also in our 50's and love the lifestyle - you could look at Hope Island as it is a golfing estate and is just 40 minutes to Brisbane from there - there are houses and apartments in this area. A lot of SAfricans live in this area and a lot of really really nice people. YOu can live on a canal and have a boat if this is the lifestyle your prefer. Other areas on the gold coast which are nice is River Links,also closer to Brisbane and just a few minutes from Hope Island, Runaway bay is also really nice as there are a lot of slightly older homes on the waterways in this area. I lived in Robina which has houses under the $800K range and is a bit more central - with a train to Brisbane. I now live in Carrara on the water and love it. The Moorings is lovely - it is on the water with a lock system and has beautiful homes in this area - also Clear Island Waters is a good area too - a lot of us S Africans live on the GC. My friends live in Redland Bay/ Cleveland area in BRisbane and they love it there - but it takes about the same length of time to get from there as it does the GC. I looked at Brisbane and then fell in love with the GC as the beaches and lifestyle are just amazing - hope this helps

Heather

In Brisbane you could look at living at South Bank in the cultural precinct with the man made beach, museums, galleries, restaurants, walk to west end, walk to cbd.

Also look at:

- New Farm/Teneriffe

- Bulimba

- Kangaroo Point

- West End

Given your limited criteria there are probably dozens of other suburbs you could live in.

Thanks heather and 'Fish', this is good information for us. We will certainly explore these areas this weekend and check out prices on the web.

Sounds like its worth me giving up a good job in Sydney to make the move to the Brisbane/GC area :D :D Now all I need is to land a decent job in Brisbane.

Okay, so we spent the past long weekend (NSW long weekend) up in Brisbane.

We sort of decided on either Cleveland (Raby Bay) or Hope Island area.

How long does the train take into central Brisbane from Cleveland and/or Coomera (near Hope Island)? I'll be working in Brisbane CBD......

Also if people ask for say $1 mil, is it feasible to offer up to $100k less? Whats the feeling in the market?

Ah forgot to say.the market has all but collapsed. If they want a mill( depends on the house, urgency etc) offer 20- 25% less. DO NOT BELIEVE THE AGENTS!

Please contact me if you have a property in mind. I really know the area, and I know what and for what things have been selling.

Living on the GC is very nice, but driving to Brisbane every day is a bugger. A friend of mine does it and it is really taking a toll on him. While many people do it, I doubt any of them like it. If you are going to work in the CBD I suggest you seriously consider the inner city suburbs... Check out the profile of suburbs here

Archived