A New Job Hunting Tactic Which Landed Me A Job

Veronique

So after weeks of applying for jobs with various recruitment agencies and receiving no follow up, and tired of hearing "we will contact you if something suitable arises"....I got 'gatvol'.

I found a job on SEEK which I was interested in, I called the agency and in a very sarcastic tone of voice asked "Do you discriminate against South Africans?", "no of course not" was the reply...."well I am of the impression that agencies and companies in Australia discriminate against us". Poor woman was so defensive and promised me they wouldn't. I then asked "Do you discrimate against people who have owned their own business?", "no of course not" was the reply once again...."well I owned my own businesses and I am tired of people telling me I am over qualified for the jobs I am applying for. If I want to downgrade, thats my perogative". Again she was very defensive and said I should send my CV to her which I did.

About two hours later one of her colleagues called me about the job I originally applied for and arranged an interview. I met with her and she set up an interview two days later with the company. I had the interview yesterday morning and two hours later was offered the job.

Now I am not sure if it was due to my questions and them trying to prove that they did not discriminate, or if they would have called me anyway. Who cares! I got the job :ilikeit:

Congratulations!! at the end of the day its the fact that you got the job that matters!! :ilikeit:

Haha, that'll show them. Good work! Congrats on the job, Snufflebunny 227 (I think that was it, wasn't it?) :lol:

As an Ex Recruiter, I had a good chuckle!! You certainly got their attention - Congrats on the job!! :ilikeit:

Haha, that'll show them. Good work! Congrats on the job, Snufflebunny 227 (I think that was it, wasn't it?) :lol:

Hahahaha! News24 comments if I remember correctly?

Whichever way, well done!!! I'll give it a try,maybe you're on to something here :ilikeit:

A

Hehehe, I think I would be so nervous to do that, they will not believe me if I tried to sound sarcastic! heehee. That's brilliantly done, the poor recruitment agent, I guess she'll remember this for a long, long time !!

Yes its Snufflebunny 227! HA HA I forgot about that.

:ilikeit: Well done!

I have been trying for months to find a job and have had the very same obstacles thrown at me! I have even been told that if my CV came with Ozzie experience I could pick which building I wanted to work in but since I have no such experience, well.... Discrimination for sure! I am definately going to have to try this!!!

Hi Veronique,

I loved your attitude and getting the result you were looking for! :)

I just have a quick question. In SA I run my own company as well. Most people I have spoken to told me not to mention that on my CV.

Thus I have been applying as someone with no qualification, but just experience. Somehow I think this counts more against me than for me in Oz.

So my question is this: Have you found people not responding positive to the fact that you owned your own business?

Does it really seem a threat to them or is it just someone's opinion?

Any input from your side would be much appreciated.

Hi Veronique,

I loved your attitude and getting the result you were looking for! :)

I just have a quick question. In SA I run my own company as well. Most people I have spoken to told me not to mention that on my CV.

Thus I have been applying as someone with no qualification, but just experience. Somehow I think this counts more against me than for me in Oz.

So my question is this: Have you found people not responding positive to the fact that you owned your own business?

Does it really seem a threat to them or is it just someone's opinion?

Any input from your side would be much appreciated.

Hi Aldo

It depends what position you are applying for. When I first arrived 4 years ago I included my business in my CV. I applied for a Real Estate Agent position and a Managerial position at a gym. I was offered both positions because of my business experience. I declined both due to the long working hours.

I have applied for many jobs over the years just in case the perfect role was out there. Some of the applications I noted I was an ex-business owner and others I stated I worked for the businesses I owned. The responses were varied; mostly there was no response, sometimes I was told I was over qualified, sometimes I just wasn't a match. I did feel however that stating I was an ex-business owner seemed like a threat.

For this particular position I added to my email that I was an ex-South African business owner with permanent residency status. I stated: 'As a small business owner I was very involved in all aspects of the business including the roles required for this position.' I then went on to explain those roles ensuring that it was a good match to the position description. I ended off by saying: 'For this reason I would hope my status as ex business owner would not hinder my chances of being placed in the position.'

Maybe other ex-business owners on the forum have a different opinion or experience.

Good luck Aldo, and never give up trying!

Archived